Why become a member? ×

If anyone is pondering fitting a Hipshot Xtender to their JMJ Mustang the BT7 is a direct replacement and the lollipop is easily swapped over too. Took 10 mins and works a treat. They do a lolly version now but it’s shiny 

It handles the D drop really well, Infact my band tune a half step down and the drop to C# still sounds great and is very stable …

IMG_6064.thumb.jpeg.bda7724b3830d4562f2e04d4c5b1f469.jpeg

• Like 9

11 minutes ago, Adee said:

If anyone is pondering fitting a Hipshot Xtender to their JMJ Mustang the BT7 is a direct replacement and the lollipop is easily swapped over too. Took 10 mins and works a treat. They do a lolly version now but it’s shiny 

It handles the D drop really well, Infact my band tune a half step down and the drop to C# still sounds great and is very stable …

IMG_6064.thumb.jpeg.bda7724b3830d4562f2e04d4c5b1f469.jpeg

What strings have you got that sound alright for drop C#? I'd like to try my Mustang in my doom band and we're in drop C, but the D'Addario 45-105 set I've got on at the moment don't quite sound good enough for me. Might be because I'm too used to the definition from my Dingwall though 😅

Edited by MichaelDean

50 minutes ago, fretmeister said:

Thought I'd do a quick cover with the Lionel

I don't know why the bass picture is a little fuzzy. Probably had the resolution set a bit low.

Ah well. It's only for fun.

Sounds great!

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, MichaelDean said:

What strings have you got that sound alright for drop C#? I'd like to try my Mustang in my doom band and we're in drop C, but the D'Addario 45-105 set I've got on at the moment don't quite sound good enough for me. Might be because I'm too used to the definition from my Dingwall though 😅

Hmmm not sure what brand but they are definitely 45-105 Think you have to accept that you’ll lose some definition but with some EQing it can be controlled to a reasonable degree. 

All you can do is give it a shot and see if you like it !

As posted earlier tonight in the "Ibanez Owner Club" thread, a bit more and an update about my 5 strings Ibanez GSRM25 Mikro Bass :   

3 hours ago, Baloney Balderdash said:

Don't think I've posted this before here, my just 28.5" scale 5 string Ibanez GSRM25 Mikro Bass, with a Poplar body, Maple neck and Jatoba fretboard, tuned to F# standard tuning, that is 2 half steps above regular 4 string bass E standard tuning.

16.5mm string spacing, and as good as perfect fretwork from stock, allowing for nice low action without any fret buzz whatsoever, which makes it really nice to play.

However I really didn't like how the stock pickups sounded, though it did help to wire them in series, but still not really satisfied with the tone they deliver, even if the bass sound nice acoustically, and are really quiet, even before I wired them in series, as Ibanez apparently started using shielded wiring, even in these budget basses.

The problem however is that both pickups are standard 4 string J pickup neck length, but while he mounting "ears" got standard 4 string J neck spacing, so finding replacement pickups is somewhat problematic.

So haven't played it much, but just gave it new strings and tried play it again, and as said, it plays really nice, and with the stock pickups in series it doesn't sound bad either, just kind of bland and not my taste, despite as said actually sounding nice acoustically.

So yeah, need to find some replacement pickups to my liking that fits the unusual pickup cavities, or having them re-routed to give me more options.

Anyway here it is (even if this is an old photo of it, the fretboard has darkened a bit since, almost resembling slightly figured light rosewood):

image.thumb.png.326d0c1edd408b241609202a318abf04.png

Replacement/Upgrade pickup suggestions are very welcome : 

Edited by Baloney Balderdash

10 hours ago, ezbass said:

Sounds great!

I'm still going to swap the pickup for an Aguilar 60s wind. The 'Berg pickup has a lot of lows and highs but not as much mids as a traditional P has and I have to EQ it quite a lot.

So I'll swap it over when I get a moment.

It was the first time I've tried the Tonehammer amp model in the Helix... unfortunately now I want the real amp too! :D 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, fretmeister said:

I'm still going to swap the pickup for an Aguilar 60s wind. The 'Berg pickup has a lot of lows and highs but not as much mids as a traditional P has and I have to EQ it quite a lot.

I found a similar thing with my Lionel too, although I always run an HPF to keep the lows in check and find that a little push around 250-300Hz usually worked for me, and then pulling the high end down a touch on the EQ. But in a moment of madness I tried fitting the flats that came with my JMJ (stock Fender long scale) to the 'Berg and it totally changed the sound and feel of the bass, I appreciate that this is probably stating the obvious, but to me it was a revelation as I am definitely not a flats guys, I've never been able to get on with the dull lifeless thud that the ones I'd previously tried gave. But I was pleasantly surprised by how much different there was in the bass responded, especially with the band, and I really appreciate the change in tone, more of a traditional tone with fuller mids but still with plenty of clarity. But I didn't care for the high tension of the Fender flats so I picked up a cheap set of D'Addario Chromes flats off the forum to try and now it sounds how I always wanted it to sound, it's still deep when you want it to be but requires less EQ'ing to get the sound that I want, kind of a traditional, passive vibe. From what I've read, the Chromes are pretty bright as far as flats go, they sound more like a worn in round wound, which is my usual tonal preference. Of course, this might not be the sound that you're looking for but it worked for me and might be worth a try before breaking out the soldering iron :)

• Like 2

I've got Fender flats on it 9050L - so the lightest set they do and I like them a lot. I wish they'd do a set where the E and A were a bit higher tension, but leave the D&G as they are.

I will try your EQ suggestions anyway - I've got an EQ-200 for fine tuning, but I try take as little as possible with me when I go out to play and that pedal is quite heavy! #lazy 

And to show exactly how lazy.... I'm currently awaiting a delivery from @KiOgon for one of his solderless P bass looms! :D 

So much easier!

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, fretmeister said:

... I'm currently awaiting a delivery from @KiOgon for one of his solderless P bass looms! :D 

So much easier!

Hey Paul,

Should have been there by now, collected Saturday but I just checked the tracking - no delivery attempted yet!

Hope they get their finger out 👉

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, KiOgon said:

Hey Paul,

Should have been there by now, collected Saturday but I just checked the tracking - no delivery attempted yet!

Hope they get their finger out 👉

Hopefully it will turn up in a day or two.

I've got a long rehearsal on Saturday so I wasn't going to install it before then anyway.

Sorry if this has been answered earlier (there are 91 pages to this thread 🙃) I’m in the market to buy a mustang and my options price-wise are between the Vintera or the MIM PJ.

I like the tone options on the PJ but read reviews that it neck dives pretty badly which would be a deal-breaker for me. I had an MIJ mustang a few years back and liked the sound I got from the split coil pickup so I’m currently leaning towards the Vintera. Just posting here in case anyone wants to tell me I’m making a mistake.

Edited by gemdids

I was a bit undecided re the various choices of Mustangs out there, in the end I went for the JMJ due to both neck width but also thought if going Mustang get one with Mustang pickups rather than Precision pickups.

• Like 1

On 11/06/2023 at 11:30, grayn said:

Just acquired a Fender, Made In Japan, Junior Collection, Jazz Bass.

A.jpg

D.jpg

Really nice bass.

How much does the MIJ Junior Jazz weigh? I wonder if they made a Junior Precision too. . . Edit: They don't.

Edited by dmc79

9 hours ago, gemdids said:

Sorry if this has been answered earlier (there are 91 pages to this thread 🙃) I’m in the market to buy a mustang and my options price-wise are between the Vintera or the MIM PJ.

I like the tone options on the PJ but read reviews that it neck dives pretty badly which would be a deal-breaker for me. I had an MIJ mustang a few years back and liked the sound I got from the split coil pickup so I’m currently leaning towards the Vintera. Just posting here in case anyone wants to tell me I’m making a mistake.

Neck dive is a thing with just about every bass that has a short upper horn. The best way to help it is to swap the heavy old fashioned tuners for Hipshot Ultralites. That can save between 1/3 and 1/2 a pound and when that weight saving is at the end of a neck the balance is altered massively. 

But the short upper horn is the culprit really.

If you swap the tuners, spend the money on the USA ones and not the licensed ones. The USA ones are lighter. Either way you'll have to be happy with some more holes in the headstock rear.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, gemdids said:

I’d be inclined to try before buying if you can re: neck dive. I’ve had a few, the worst one I had was a MIJ early 2000s. Of my current 2, the Mikey Way sig has no neck dive due to thin neck and heavyish basswood body. My JMJ has a little as it’s a thicker neck but it’s very minor and unnoticeable with a 3” strap.

Edited by martthebass
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, gemdids said:

If you can go the extra few £s for a JMJ, there is at least one for sale on BC and is well worth it.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, grayn said:

The Vintera, every time.

But what about a preowned American Performer?

Thanks, I’m definitely leaning toward the Vintera. I think the AP (even preowned) is out of my price range unfortunately. 

2 hours ago, ezbass said:

If you can go the extra few £s for a JMJ, there is at least one for sale on BC and is well worth it.

I’d love to own that one but it’s just a couple of hundred out of my price range. It’s a beaut though 

16 hours ago, gemdids said:

Myself and the lovely @Adee compared a few Mustang variants 3 or 4 years ago, I did write a detailed post summarising my thoughts at the time but I can't seem to find it now, but as I recall the edited highlights were, IMO;

Mexican PJ, decent little bass and has those classic Fender sounds. No frills build quality but solid enough in its own right. Slim jazz like neck profile. Limited sounds from the 3 way selector switch but a blend pot mod really opens up the flexibility for only a few £. 

American Performer, feels better quality in terms of construction, hardware and finish compared to the Mexican but tonally very bland, the Mex had way much more inherent character in its sound. This just sounded like a bass, any bass but with no real personality of its own. At the time I think it was nearly 3 times the cost of the Mexican but not worth it, IMO. Same slim neck profile as the Mexican.

JMJ - the king of the hill by a mile. It simply oozes character with its big powerful tone and chunky but comfortable neck. The fake roadworn look is a bit naff and not particularly well done, certainly when compared to something like a Sandberg relic job, but once you plug it in and play it you can forgive the aesthetics. It sounds a feels like a Precision, only smaller and easier to play. Oh, and stick some rounds on it, forget flats!

Vintera - we didn't have one to try but I have played one in a shop before and I have no real feelings about it either way, I don't remember anything astounding or underwhelming about it. 

Squire VM - felt like a cheap option, which it is! Not a bad bass for the money and potentially a reasonable platform to mod to your own preferences. 

So, IMO, if you like Precisions and a big grin inducing tone, the JMJ is without doubt the one to go for. At the time we compared them the American was way more expensive than the Mexican (£1000 vs £400 at the time, I think?) but I prefered the tone of the cheaper Mexican. The American one felt nice, but not £600+ nicer. The Vintera is a decent enough bass but if you're looking to spend that sort of money, spend a little more and get a JMJ.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, ezbass said:

I’d love to own this- but pricey for me though. 

3 hours ago, Osiris said:

Myself and the lovely @Adee compared a few Mustang variants 3 or 4 years ago, I did write a detailed post summarising my thoughts at the time but I can't seem to find it now, but as I recall the edited highlights were, IMO;

Mexican PJ, decent little bass and has those classic Fender sounds. No frills build quality but solid enough in its own right. Slim jazz like neck profile. Limited sounds from the 3 way selector switch but a blend pot mod really opens up the flexibility for only a few £. 

American Performer, feels better quality in terms of construction, hardware and finish compared to the Mexican but tonally very bland, the Mex had way much more inherent character in its sound. This just sounded like a bass, any bass but with no real personality of its own. At the time I think it was nearly 3 times the cost of the Mexican but not worth it, IMO. Same slim neck profile as the Mexican.

JMJ - the king of the hill by a mile. It simply oozes character with its big powerful tone and chunky but comfortable neck. The fake roadworn look is a bit naff and not particularly well done, certainly when compared to something like a Sandberg relic job, but once you plug it in and play it you can forgive the aesthetics. It sounds a feels like a Precision, only smaller and easier to play. Oh, and stick some rounds on it, forget flats!

Vintera - we didn't have one to try but I have played one in a shop before and I have no real feelings about it either way, I don't remember anything astounding or underwhelming about it. 

Squire VM - felt like a cheap option, which it is! Not a bad bass for the money and potentially a reasonable platform to mod to your own preferences. 

So, IMO, if you like Precisions and a big grin inducing tone, the JMJ is without doubt the one to go for. At the time we compared them the American was way more expensive than the Mexican (£1000 vs £400 at the time, I think?) but I prefered the tone of the cheaper Mexican. The American one felt nice, but not £600+ nicer. The Vintera is a decent enough bass but if you're looking to spend that sort of money, spend a little more and get a JMJ.

This is super helpful, thanks for digging it out. Interesting to see how the American Performer stacked up against the Mexican PJ too, more expensive doesn’t necessarily = better. 

Edited by gemdids
  • Like 1