Why become a member? ×

Genz Benz GBE 750 on the way...!

wateroftyne

Hi folks

For various reasons, my and my recently-bought Eden WT550 just haven't worked out - It's a great head, but a long story.

So... it's going back. (by the way, I Bought it from Andertons, who have been great. I recommend them 110%.)

Any day now I'm hoping to have one of these shiny beauties land on my doorstep:

[url="http://www.genzbenz.com/?fa=detail&mid=1994&sid=422&cid=95"]More info here[/url]

I'm buying blind (there's less than 10 in the UK, apparently), but I've done all my research and asked the right questions, and I think it's going to ring my bell. I'll post a review after I've had time to get used to it.

Now... where's that darn postman??

*drums fingers*

I have been after one of these for ages never come up in my price range though so i settled with mesa. I do think they are abit over priced here compared to being able to ship one from europe and the states for about £700 odd with tax and shipping. Mind me asking how much they are over here now through a proper shop there was someone importing them awhile back.

But the switchable channels and spec looks great heard endless good things about them. Great purchase.

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='45897' date='Aug 15 2007, 04:08 PM']Hi folks

For various reasons, my and my recently-bought Eden WT550 just haven't worked out - It's a great head, but a long story.

So... it's going back. (by the way, I Bought it from Andertons, who have been great.[/quote]

Hi,
Oh yes, the Andertons Edens. I nearly nought one of their dodgy WT800B Edens.
Intersting alternative. Don't know much about the Genz stuff. Is it two channel?
Please let us know what it sounds like.
Cheers
Chop

[quote name='BB2000' post='46102' date='Aug 15 2007, 10:46 PM']If it's anythink like the Neo-Pak it'll put a smile on your face. The Genz Benz folks are a really nice bullshit free bunch to deal with. Are you just fed up with your AI?[/quote]

Excellent... can't wait!

My AI... my AI sounds great. It's been a loyal servant for about three years. I just fancy a change... y'know how it is.

grumblegrumble

The verdict is...... I dunno.

It was picked up by the courier from the distributor yesterday.

At 2pm today, it was delivered... back to the distributor. :wacko:

Don't ask. I have no idea.

I'm leaving tomorrow for some gigs down south, and I won't have it.

GAH!

I'm going menkle.

More news when I have it...

Edited by wateroftyne

UPDATE:

Gah! (again)

The amp sounds GREAT. Unbelievably great.

BUT.....

I'm getting a horrendous hum whenever I go anywhere near my amp. It's not something I've had a problem with before.

Is this the norm? Am I used to digital amps?

I'm hoping it's just a one-off, and something in the tent is causing the problem. Otherwise... any ideas? I've swapped basses & leads to no avail...

Glad to hear it sounds good. I played a little Genz combo somewhere, I cant remember where now, and it was fantastic - I can't for the life of me rememer as I would like to go back!

The hum could be something to do with the power supply in the tent. Wait and see what it is like somehwhere you are familiar with.

I am quite enjoying the 'live' updates - perhaps give us a quick synopsis after each track at the show ;0)

ped

I've never used the GBE750, but would be surprised if it's normal (the Neo-Pak is quiet). Does this happen with the P and the Jazz? Does the hum change with the orientation of the bass to the amp? (Most modern G&K amps I've used radiate a fair bit of noise through the front panel, but it's only noticable if you're within about 3 feet).

If the amp does this at another location I'd say it's either faulty or badly designed - either way get a replacement unit. If the second one's the same it's not something I'd put up with. There's a GB engineer who regularly answers questions on talkbass - you could ask advice there.

I guess your amp search isn't finished ...

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='49722' date='Aug 23 2007, 06:12 PM']UPDATE:

Gah! (again)

The amp sounds GREAT. Unbelievably great.

BUT.....

I'm getting a horrendous hum whenever I go anywhere near my amp. It's not something I've had a problem with before.

Is this the norm? Am I used to digital amps?

I'm hoping it's just a one-off, and something in the tent is causing the problem. Otherwise... any ideas? I've swapped basses & leads to no avail...[/quote]

UPDATE:

Cheers folks! On in ten minutes.

I've moved the amp a good 5ft away to keept the noise to a minimum. I have me normal amp, but the Genz sounds so good.. well.. y'know.

Having said that, I can only do that 'cos, thankfully, it's a big stage. If it was pub gig I'd be screwed..

I do know that I won't rest until it's sorted. My search is over, one way or the other...

More later!

OH. MY. GOD.

If that darn buzz is a gig-specific thing, I'll the the happiest man alive.

It's stunning.. I'll do a proper review and post pics when I've lived with it for a bit.

To answer a question I missed earlier, it was the only on left in the country, bought from the distributor via to lovely Lynn Music in King's Lynn (nowhere near me, but they're a dealer).

It's a lightly-used (i.e. immaculate) demo model, so I got a heck of a deal.

Evening chaps!

The latest is that emails have been flying back and forth between myself, Jeff Genzler and the tech at the UK importer. Genz have been fantastic through this.

They're fairly sure it's lack of shielding on my basses. They've asked me to shield one of them to see if it makes any difference. If not, they'll ship me a new output transformer from AZ via express delivery. That's quite an expense to them, but they're doing everything they can to get to the bottom of it.

I'll pick the shielding tape up and get onto it asap. It's as frustrating as hell, but worth it, I reckon...