Why become a member? ×

Genz Benz GBE 750 on the way...!

wateroftyne

[quote name='OldGit' post='67815' date='Sep 30 2007, 06:56 PM']Yeah Stop drooling there boy!

Sheilding passives is a good idea anyway, whatever happens ...
OG[/quote]

The hum I've been getting is above and beyond 'normal' unshielded bass hum... I've tried it with a shielded bass (one of Warwickhunt's.. er... Warwicks) and the hum was still noticeable, albeit not as bad.

It's incredibly frustrating as it's clearly a great head. It's just allergic to me, it seems...

Edited by wateroftyne

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='67811' date='Sep 30 2007, 06:42 PM']Hello!

It's a great pre. Can I ask what bass you used it with?[/quote]

Tried it with my 50's Precision (bloody great bass - I'm selling off all my other Precisions and am just keeping this - can't believe how good they sound), a BB2000 (of course!), a Japanese jazz (JB65) and a couple of my mates instruments (an 80's precision and an Ibanez Blazer??). Oh - and a BB1500.

Bugger all hum. (WOT - if your replacement still hums when it arrives insist on having it swapped out again.)

If the rumour of a new high power Neo amp is true I think it'll blow away the Eden/Mark bass/AI/EA gear. Pity their European sales channels aren't that good - they should go through thomann or similar. I've been trying to get a bag for the Neo-Pak in the UK and they prices asked are comical for something that costs $30 in the US.

[quote name='BB2000' post='67853' date='Sep 30 2007, 07:55 PM']Tried it with my 50's Precision (bloody great bass - I'm selling off all my other Precisions and am just keeping this - can't believe how good they sound), a BB2000 (of course!), a Japanese jazz (JB65) and a couple of my mates instruments (an 80's precision and an Ibanez Blazer??). Oh - and a BB1500.

Bugger all hum. (WOT - if your replacement still hums when it arrives insist on having it swapped out again.)

If the rumour of a new high power Neo amp is true I think it'll blow away the Eden/Mark bass/AI/EA gear. Pity their European sales channels aren't that good - they should go through thomann or similar. I've been trying to get a bag for the Neo-Pak in the UK and they prices asked are comical for something that costs $30 in the US.[/quote]

Cheers BB... that's incredibly useful. I've sent you a PM.

You're right... a high-power Neo would be great.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry I haven't replied before now... I've been unbelieveably busy.

Unfortunately, the replacement amp didn't work out for me, either. For some reason that amp clashes with something on my basses (Pickups?) and I get that buzz.

That said, I would STRONGLY encourage anyone interested to try them out. My (apparently unique) problem aside, they sound awsome.

Bear in mind these amps are used by many people on T*lkbass, none of whom have any problems.

Genz and Sutherland, the UK distributor, have gone to great lengths, and much expense, to try to get to the bottom of it. I can't fault them.

Word is they're releasing a Class D version next year. If nothing else comes up, I might just hang on for that. Given that my next choice, the Mesa Boogie MPulse, is 1600 quid, I don't think I can justify it to the missus!

Don't let my experience put you off. Chances are you'll love it.

Wow.... that's weird! I've never heard of anyone having any problems....

Did you try it in different buildings as well as with different basses? Just wondering if it was something to do with the mains in your house...?

[quote name='cetera' post='75118' date='Oct 16 2007, 04:22 PM']Wow.... that's weird! I've never heard of anyone having any problems....

Did you try it in different buildings as well as with different basses? Just wondering if it was something to do with the mains in your house...?[/quote]

Amongst other things WoT tried it in my house, with my basses and cab!

I wonder if they sent the original one back to him. I had an extended loan of a 750 last weekend, and it's a cracking amp, you can get some really nice tones mixing the two preamp channels. The Neo-Pak is great as well, they're very easy to use in a master/slave arrangement. I've ended up with 4 Neo's, and am in two minds whether to sell a pair to fund a 750.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi folks

The saga is over... I sent the GBE back (with a heavy heart) and got a refund.

Genz suggested that my basses may be susceptible to noise, and that I might have a problem with any amp in the 700w - 1000w range.

Well, I'm now using a rather splendid 1000w Warwick Tubepath 10.1, and it's totally silent. Weird.

10/10 to Genz for working with me to try and sort it, though. I'd still recommend them.