Why become a member? ×

Genz Benz GBE 750 on the way...!

wateroftyne

Bullshit. Your basses have been fine for the last 30 odd years. Sure, shielding will reduce the problem - but the amp shouldn't be generating the interference in the first place. I'm really surprised and dissapointed that that is the advice that Genz Benz has given to you.

sorry... I know nowt about electronicals.

By 'output transformer' I mean the big heavy thing in the amp (stop me if I'm getting too technical!). They reckon theirs is beefier than most.

I'm sceptical about the shielding thing, but the troubleshoot is a two-way process so I'm going to do as they ask to take it out of the equation. If it works.. great.

Mind you, I'm just wondering wether the amp will cause a problem for our guitarist at smaller gigs, 'cos he will pick the noise up to. Where will it end?

Hmmm....

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='52144' date='Aug 29 2007, 08:54 AM']I'm sceptical about the shielding thing, but the troubleshoot is a two-way process so I'm going to do as they ask to take it out of the equation. If it works.. great.[/quote]

I think you're right to be sceptical. At least it demonstrates to Genz that you're doing everything that you can do.

Do you know of anyone near you who has a Line 6 Variax bass? Since that doesn't have any conventional pickups, it shouldn't have any shielding problems. If you plug one of those in and it hums, I think it would be a good pointer to the amp being faulty.

I recently managed to solve a similar problem with inductive loops.

[quote name='pete.young' post='52222' date='Aug 29 2007, 10:59 AM']I think you're right to be sceptical. At least it demonstrates to Genz that you're doing everything that you can do.

Do you know of anyone near you who has a [b]Line 6 Variax bass[/b]? Since that doesn't have any conventional pickups, it shouldn't have any shielding problems. If you plug one of those in and it hums, I think it would be a good pointer to the amp being faulty.

I recently managed to solve a similar problem with inductive loops.[/quote]

Good news Michael... I have one of those too! See you later!

[quote name='paul, the' post='52325' date='Aug 29 2007, 01:11 PM']I think you're a hunter WoT. Even if you did find the perfect amp you'd break it so you could keep looking.[/quote]

Ha ha ha

I hope you're not right. Truth is, I've been happy with my AI for about four years.

See what happens when you fancy a change? It's not worth it, Goddamn it.

Aaaanyway, thanks to Warwickhunt, his Thunderfunk and his lovely Warwicks, I've got a few more videoclips which illustrate the problem. I've emailed them to Genz, so I'll wait and see.

Stay tuned...

Reet.. the latest.

Genz have seen the clips that Warwickhunt & I made, and they've responded immediately.

It seems they're going to do everything they can to work this out. As I said to them in an email, had they treated me shoddily, or I had I not fallen in love with the sound of the amp, I would have given up a looong time ago, but.. the amp sounds awesome and they're an extremely helpful bunch of people. So... I'm happy to stick with it 'till the bitter end.

I'll let you all know how it goes.

I've had dealings directly with GB in the US and was very impressed by their customer service, which is why I was a bit surprised that they suggested that you shield your bass. I thought they would have sent a replacement unit and arranged pickup of this one, no questions asked, after seeing your video. At the end of the day I've no doubt that they'll do whatever it takes to make you happy.

[quote name='BB2000' post='53040' date='Aug 30 2007, 09:52 PM']I've had dealings directly with GB in the US and was very impressed by their customer service, which is why I was a bit surprised that they suggested that you shield your bass. I thought they would have sent a replacement unit and arranged pickup of this one, no questions asked, after seeing your video. At the end of the day I've no doubt that they'll do whatever it takes to make you happy.[/quote]

I'm pretty sure they didn't realise the extent of the buzz, until I sent the new video clips. That left them in no doubt, and Jeff is couriering over a new amp (as there aren't any left in the UK) to A/B it with mine.

• 2 weeks later...

My 'current' 750 was picked up yesterday. By the time it gets to the distributors, they should have received a new one couriered from Scottsdale. They're then going to A/B them.

Assuming the 'new' one is significantly better, they'll then send it up to me.

The good news is, Jeff Genz & Co. have done some testing in the US with similar basses to mine, and they say there's no discernable hum unless you're within a foot of the amp.

Confidence is high...