Why become a member? ×

Trussrod Replacement

stewblack

1 hour ago, stewblack said:

However it's all pretty academic now. This little laquer cracks have developed into a full blown split (can see daylight through it). 

I've squeezed it shut and applied a bit of glue, we'll see what happens to it but this is no longer looking viable 

Keep going, it is all 'fixable', I would do exactly what you have done, then when glue sets I would superglue (or thin woodglue or epoxy) either a strip of thin veneer or carbon fibre into the channel.  Thinness and length dependent on getting truss rod in - not all of the channel will need strengthening. 

My diagram had the nut position range relative to the end of the adjuster, not the end of the bar itself, @stewblack - so I agree with @Jabba_the_gut that the rod is too long to use satisfactorily :(

wN4JbAyh.jpg

As placed, it looks about 20mm too long but, because you want to have an endstop to prevent the rod pushing right through, it is probably more like 25mm-30mm too long. 

While it's a pain having to buy a different rod, it will be a lot easier to find a trussrod the right length than try to mod stuff to make this one fit.

1 minute ago, Andyjr1515 said:

My diagram had the nut position range relative to the end of the adjuster, not the end of the bar itself, @stewblack - so I agree with @Jabba_the_gut that the rod is too long to use satisfactorily :(

wN4JbAyh.jpg

As placed, it looks about 20mm too long but, because you want to have an endstop to prevent the rod pushing right through, it is probably more like 25mm-30mm too long. 

While it's a pain having to buy a different rod, it will be a lot easier to find a trussrod the right length than try to mod stuff to make this one fit.

yeah but now that it's falling apart do I really want to spend any more money on it? 

C'mon... this is 'The Bass That Refused To Die'

I reckon Stew should do what he can, no matter how much superglue is involved...

Worst case he takes the truss rod out and puts it on the marketplace (or saves it for his upcoming scratchbuild!) and starts looking for a cheap neck...

There's nothing to lose except time (we all have plenty of that right now) and glue...

• Like 2

Out of interest, say the body end of the rod was anchored, and the headstock rout lengthened, what problems would this cause? I appreciate everyone feels it's too long, I suppose my interest is does this have structural ramifications or is it just not a neat job?

Just for future reference and to increase my knowledge of the subject.

2 minutes ago, Stub Mandrel said:

C'mon... this is 'The Bass That Refused To Die'

I reckon Stew should do what he can, no matter how much superglue is involved...

Worst case he takes the truss rod out and puts it on the marketplace (or saves it for his upcoming scratchbuild!) and starts looking for a cheap neck...

There's nothing to lose except time (we all have plenty of that right now) and glue...

I'm not giving up mate. I'm going to plod on but I am resigned to a less than satisfactory outcome.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, stewblack said:

Out of interest, say the body end of the rod was anchored, and the headstock rout lengthened, what problems would this cause? I appreciate everyone feels it's too long, I suppose my interest is does this have structural ramifications or is it just not a neat job?

Just for future reference and to increase my knowledge of the subject.

I can't remember what the conclusion was in terms of whether the rod is sitting proud of the neck and the fretboard needing a notch all the way down.  If it is at all proud, you would have an issue with the nut which would need notching too and that would probably weaken it.

On the other hand, if the rod is flush with the neck then most of the rod would be acting on the fretboard and, personally, I can't see why it wouldn't work perfectly well, albeit the need to lengthen the headstock access slot and the resulting need for a very long trussrod cover.

By the way - I am intrigued why the headstock has spontaneously cracked like that.  There is nothing that you could have done, as far as I can see, that would have caused that to happen and so it must have been a weakness to start with.  I am guessing that by the fact that the truss-rod had originally run out of adjustment to the point where it actually broke, that maybe there had been unusually high pressure from the original truss rod on, what is, the weakest part of the neck under the nut/1st fret area.

It is a massive learning opportunity for you, regardless of the outcome...

• Like 1

@stewblack If you do decide to give up on doing it yourself (but I hope you do sort it on your own), there are a couple of fine folk in the FB fakers group who may be able to work wonders on it.

It's a £500+ instrument (when in working order).

I'm not sure if you already know this, but the Ric 4001 basses' truss-rods will collapse if you just tighten them as you would a Fender or most other guitars, as the stop block at the end under the nut folds in on itself; the result is the fingerboard separates from the neck.

Yours looks like it might've possibly been the result of over-tightening, though it is a different design.

Incidentally, the 4001's truss-rod system isn't necessarily a bad design, provided you follow the instructions and flex the neck to position and then turn the adjuster to hold it in place; the issue is assuming it works like other guitars, when there weren't may brands around in the 1950s...

Thanks for the input. The slot is deep enough that I can get the rod flush. I think the splitting must have been there under the surface as it were, and the activity recently has just exacerbated it. The neck is so very very thin in places. 

Anyhow, onwards and upwards. I shall scratch the chin this evening. Tomorrow is another day. 

Rest assured whatever I decide to do will be photo documented for your entertainment. 

• Like 2

It would be useful to see where the nut / end of fret board is in relation to the crack on the back of the neck. I suspect the cracks are previous truss rod damage.  I am sure it will all resolve well in the long run, think about Gibson headstocks that have parted company with the neck and are subsequently repaired :) .

• 3 weeks later...
On 23/06/2020 at 13:56, BigRedX said:

Any progress on this?

I've been struggling with my health lately so not even had a chance to look at it. I will be giving it a go though. Its at the nothing to lose stage. 

• 3 years later...

Holy Thread Revival @stewblack!!

What was the final outcome of all this?

I am shortly to embark on a similar exercise to replace the truss rod on a cheap bass and I remembered this from lockdown.

I have just re-read the entire thread - but I now I need to know the ending or I won't sleep properly!

3 hours ago, Richard R said:

Holy Thread Revival @stewblack!!

What was the final outcome of all this?

I am shortly to embark on a similar exercise to replace the truss rod on a cheap bass and I remembered this from lockdown.

I have just re-read the entire thread - but I now I need to know the ending or I won't sleep properly!

The ending...is pending 🤦‍♂️.

The neck snapped, the new truss rod was too long, I lost heart and put it all away.

But...

I soaked the split from the inside with super glue before putting it away so it might be stable enough for me to revisit the whole thing