Why become a member? ×

Sadowsky

afterimage

The Metro Express models look very poorly made. I guess when you’re comparing them to £3k+ Metroline models it’s obvious! String alignment with the dot inlays (particularly noticeable on 5 string models) and pickup pole pieces is terrible. This is always perfect on Metroline models, and strangely, Squier basses 🙄

8 hours ago, acidbass said:

The Metro Express models look very poorly made. I guess when you’re comparing them to £3k+ Metroline models it’s obvious! String alignment with the dot inlays (particularly noticeable on 5 string models) and pickup pole pieces is terrible. This is always perfect on Metroline models, and strangely, Squier basses 🙄

Hmmm I'd have to disagree - My MetroExpress Japan MV5 was superb - light and well finished, very 'elastic' to play - then again I may have been the lucky one or unlucky in your case - I agree there must be differences between the MetroExpress and big(ger) boys but I loved mine same as an all american SR5 Special for example...!

2 hours ago, Ander87 said:

Hmmm I'd have to disagree - My MetroExpress Japan MV5 was superb - light and well finished, very 'elastic' to play - then again I may have been the lucky one or unlucky in your case - I agree there must be differences between the MetroExpress and big(ger) boys but I loved mine same as an all american SR5 Special for example...!

And yet you moved it on? :)

I think string alignment says so much about how well a bass is designed/produced is all. It's especially important for pickups - not just for OCD reasons, but an off-centre string will have subtle differences in tone and sustain due to different magnetic properties compared to a string that is dead centre of the pole pieces. Just my own personal yardstick :)

31 minutes ago, acidbass said:

And yet you moved it on? :)

Hey bud - the fact that the Sadowsky was great doesn't mean that there's no better like the NYC or the Alpher I've got on sale too.

Also if it helps get my mindset, the Alpher is my most favourite jazz bass I've ever had and yet I'm letting go of it as a bargain I think - the reasoning behind it it's not the construction/design/sound but what I need as a bassist: where I am right now I rather cash out some fantastic gear I've got to put money in the bank for a house.

I don't gig that much and I'm far from a professional musician so I'm happy with gear more aligned with my other budgets.

I hope that clarifies! Going on a bit of a personal journey myself letting go of lots of fantastic gear to have a more.... 'stoic' and simpler rig.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Ander87 said:

letting go of lots of fantastic gear to have a more.... 'stoic' and simpler rig.

I should say so. Some of your FS items have had me drooling but I've been strong (the Sad 5 string was a close call though). 

• Haha 1

According to Roger Sadowsky, Warwick send a person from Germany to the Chinese factory every 9 weeks, for 2 weeks, to oversee and check on all aspects of production and quality control. I'd be surprised if the Metro Express could ever be described as "poorly made".

13 hours ago, acidbass said:

The Metro Express models look very poorly made. 

Do you mean the original Japanese ones or the new China via Germany ones? I'm not making a point here, just looking for clarification.

48 minutes ago, ezbass said:

Do you mean the original Japanese ones or the new China via Germany ones? I'm not making a point here, just looking for clarification.

Yeah the Metro Express models specifically. The Metroline models are great!

15 minutes ago, acidbass said:

Which ones? Are you talking about the Japanese Metro Express models, or the new Warwick-made Metro Express models?

18 minutes ago, acidbass said:

2 minutes ago, therealting said:

Which ones? Are you talking about the Japanese Metro Express models, or the new Warwick-made Metro Express models?

Beat me to it.

9 minutes ago, Ander87 said:

As mentioned earlier my Japanese metroexpress was axe.

The one that I played a while back in GuitarGuitar was very impressive too (I played it just after demoing a secondhand Metro which was annoying wonderful - GAS and all that).

I'd be interested to try a Japanese Express next a new Sino/German Express.

Edited by ezbass
  • Like 1

On 05/05/2020 at 02:05, acidbass said:

Because a picture is definitely the finished article in your hands... 

45 minutes ago, ClassicVibes said:
On 05/05/2020 at 02:05, acidbass said:

Because a picture is definitely the finished article in your hands... 

I agree - I was ignorant enough once to say Skjold basses had the same issue with string alignment - pictures of full basses aren't enough to cross string alignment...

49 minutes ago, ezbass said:

The one that I played a while back in GuitarGuitar was very impressive too (I played it just after demoing a secondhand Metro which was annoying wonderful - GAS and all that).

I'd be interested to try a Japanese Express next a new Sino/German Express.

Very true - I've got to admit that Chinese-made-German-supervised isn't something I was expecting from Sadowsky and I'm somewhat (maybe irrational or snobbish of me) skeptical.

But then again I've heard the chinese Dingwalls are great so I guess I'm speculating. And I shouldn't. Tut tut.

• Like 1

https://www.thomann.de/gb/sadowsky_metroexpress_21_5_vin_mo_bk.htm

https://www.thomann.de/gb/sadowsky_metroexpress_21_hybrid_obmp.htm?glp=1&gclid=CjwKCAjwwMn1BRAUEiwAZ_jnEivh_-Y7NpUNL10bu11nePStL16J9yeI2oZB6INIqlamqerVeX06EBoCLDcQAvD_BwE

oh. shoot. wow. so yeah totally different game indeed and an interesting turn in strategy I guess.....! I wouldn't think I'd witness sadowskys under £800 indeed!

I don't think they'll be on same level as the japanese ones.... that doesn't mean they're not good enough!