Why become a member? ×

Sadowsky questions

DiMarco

Hi guys/gals,

Being heavily into Warwick and Zon basses I haven't payed much attention to Sadowsky until recently.
I am looking at them (in particular at high quality 5 string ones) in the for sale section on here and sites like Zikinf etc.

What I noticed is the series goes down from NYC to Metro to Metro express.

Am I right in deducting the Metro series are from Japan and their serials start with M...?
Also, I noticed on the NYC there's logo's with and without the word "Guitars" between Sadowsky and NYC. What is the reason for this?

What are the main quality differences between NYC and Metro models, according to players?

Thanks for any helpful comments!

Edited by DiMarco

Logo wise there are a few changes they implemented as the ranges diversified.

Sadowsky + NYC/Guitars NYC for American

Sadowsky + Guitars/Metro/Metroline/Metro Express for Japanese ones - early ones don’t have the VTC preamp.

Sadowsky + TYO/Tokyo - Doemstic Japanese models.

then we’ll start to see Metroline German and Metro Express Chinese...

All very confusing.

Sadowsky Metro/Japan are deemed to be very similar, NYC models benefited from weight relief from mid 2000’s but the electronics etc were the same - NYC was basically custom shop, Japan like a “standard” line.

I own a Metroline HPJ and have owned an RV4 Metroline - I’ve played a couple of NYC’s. Quality is the same - and both of my Japanese ones are/were fairly light anyhow.

The later 2015/6 to 2019 seem to be the closest to NYC - but they’re wonderfully made instruments.

in short -

NYC - limitless custom options and weight relief.

Metro/Japan - standardised features, no custom options.

• Like 1

Up until the Warwick deal recently, Metros were made in Japan. The Metroline is effectively made by the Japanese custom shop, just with limited options and non/chambered bodies. The MetroExpress is production line, but also Japan.

The NYCs are chambered and have more custom options. In terms of quality, they’re basically identical as Roger says.

The logo thing I think changed over time. The same way they went from Sadowsky Guitars to Sadowsky Metroline. 

• Like 2

I've owned a pair of NYC and 3 (or is it 4) Metro inc a Will Lee model.  I have to say the Metro basses were superb quality fit and finish and I'd be hard pushed to tell between them and NYC in a blindfold test.  The NYC basses were lighter (my spalted bass was almost 'too' light) but the Metro basses were never heavy and all were sub 9lb.  When you are talking NYC money the differences will all be down to personal preference for finishes, fingerboard/body woods etc and I'm unsure anyone can advise on that.  

Great basses and I doubt you'd be disappointed... I'd have a PJ Metro back in a heartbeat (I trawl the UK sale sites weekly).  ;)

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, warwickhunt said:

I've owned a pair of NYC and 3 (or is it 4) Metro inc a Will Lee model.  I have to say the Metro basses were superb quality fit and finish and I'd be hard pushed to tell between them and NYC in a blindfold test.  The NYC basses were lighter (my spalted bass was almost 'too' light) but the Metro basses were never heavy and all were sub 9lb.  When you are talking NYC money the differences will all be down to personal preference for finishes, fingerboard/body woods etc and I'm unsure anyone can advise on that.  

Great basses and I doubt you'd be disappointed... I'd have a PJ Metro back in a heartbeat (I trawl the UK sale sites weekly).  ;)

I’d have a second P/J in a heartbeat - Ash/Maple though, just to justify it to myself 😂

The NYC satin series are pretty affordable it seems, and 3.75kg for a five string is pretty light.
I must say however I do not care that much about weight as long as it stays under 5kg.

Maybe my focus should be on the Metro series instead so I can keep some more money in my pocket.

Thanks!

Worth noting that the chambered bodies always have an inherent mid scoop. That might be your thing but I definitely would rather have the option to scoop the mids than have them taken away by default :)

• Like 1

I have a Japanese Metro and it has the same hardware, pickups and preamp as the NYC models. You can't request custom versions but I don't see the value in paying nearly £6k for an NYC bass when a good used Japanese Metro can be bought for around £2k, and they play and sound just as good.

What Sadowsky basses will look like after the production move to Warwick is an unknown. I'm sure they will be good but my Metro is good enough that I'm not bothered about finding out.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, DiMarco said:

The NYC satin series are pretty affordable it seems, and 3.75kg for a five string is pretty light.
I must say however I do not care that much about weight as long as it stays under 5kg.

Maybe my focus should be on the Metro series instead so I can keep some more money in my pocket.

Thanks!

If you are not fussed about weight, and don’t have any real qualms about custom finishes or fancy woods, the Metros are every bit as good, and can almost afford two for the price of some NYCs.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, chris_b said:

What Sadowsky basses will look like after the production move to Warwick is an unknown. I'm sure they will be good but my Metro is good enough that I'm not bothered about finding out.

What I gathered (being a bit of a Warwick nut) is that this:

There still will be custom shop models made by Roger in the US. The whole reason for moving the larger market production and associated business related work and administration has been taking the fun out of it for him and he wants to focus more on building fantastic instruments rather then running a business.

Warwick will make custom models too in their custom shop. Metro will be like their "teambuilt" Warwicks and built in Germany, just not everything is done inside Warwick HQ. The Metro express production will be moved to China.

Correct my if I am wrong but this means Sadowsky and Warwick lines will be rather parallel as their rockbass series is also produced in China.

Edited by DiMarco
  • Like 1

Those of you with chambered NYC models. How does the lighter weight affect the balance?

My Wals could anchor a cruise ship, but the balance is perfect (both seated and on the strap), so they are very comfortable to play.

I don’t imagine it’s the case with a builder like Sadowsky, but would the lighter body not result in neck dive?

Edited by CamdenRob

1 minute ago, CamdenRob said:

Those of you with chambered NYC models. How does the lighter weight affect the balance?

My Wals could anchor a cruise ship, but the balance is perfect (both seated and on the strap), so they are very comfortable to play.

I don’t imagine it’s the case with a builder like Sadowsky, but would the lighter body not result in neck dive?

I had a chambered NYC that was silly light (helium filled I swear) and it was 'just' borderline for neck dive BUT a sticky or wide strap kept it in place perfectly.  If you had used a skinny/slippy strap with that bass it might have started to dip.  

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, warwickhunt said:

I had a chambered NYC that was silly light (helium filled I swear) and it was 'just' borderline for neck dive BUT a sticky or wide strap kept it in place perfectly.  If you had used a skinny/slippy strap with that bass it might have started to dip.  

Great stuff thanks for that 🙂

I have an Emperor 5 which is also just borderline and that’s not an issue with a wider strap as you say... I also once had a thumb NT6 which was so neck heavy you physically had to hold the neck up or the body would swing up in your face on a strap 😕 sounded absolutely terrific though... so much so that it arguably made up for the unplayable ergonomics...

I am seriously considering a Sadowsky build but would need some assurance it wasn’t going to be like the thumb 😕

15 hours ago, CamdenRob said:

I am seriously considering a Sadowsky build but would need some assurance it wasn’t going to be like the thumb 😕

Drop Roger Sadowsky an email.

An NYC bass is a fully custom order. Tell him you don't want neck dive. Chambering isn't an option, it's what he does to all his $6k basses. With his focus on detail and his A list clientele in the upper echelons of the bass playing world, I would be surprised if any of his NYC basses had serious neck dive.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, CamdenRob said:

Roger is a stickler for balance, amongst many other details. He discusses this at length on several interviews. All the Sadowskys I’ve owned and played have balanced beautifully. 

• Like 1

On 03/05/2020 at 18:38, bubinga5 said:

MetroLine limited with a sexy top... Only 100 made. Me like.......  If they continue with these LTD edition Metro's I'm in big financial trouble because that is super bass sex right there.    https://www.thomann.de/gb/sadowsky_metroline_21_5_ltd_wbts.htm

Also spotted this one, which is really sexy and sleek looking: https://doctorbass.net/en/c/?iddoc=1005173425&idsec=1000167717

im21005173425sadowsky-metro-rv5-24-3tb.j

I have an NYC 5 which is chambered. It is very very light (about 8lbs) but perfectly balanced.

I don’t think that the chambering on the 5 results in an inherently more scooped tone vs non-chambered. I say that as I also have a Metro 4 string and the basic tone of the instruments are very similar. The NYC just looks a lot more ‘bling’ in the flesh and as a result feels a bit more special in hand.

Saying that the Metro has been my workhorse for ten years or so covering genres from jazz, indie rock and stoner/doom and has never let me down.