Why become a member? ×

bassists that can do no wrong

Golchen

[quote name='OldGit' post='417450' date='Feb 23 2009, 03:27 PM']Wobble[/quote]
So agreed. He does so much different things, you have to like some of it! But I'm feeling lots of Burton hate on here :) I prefer UG bass for it's metallity.

Michael Anthony!
Ok... he may not be the most talented of players (check out his solo on 'Live Without A Net' for a giggle) but when VH sacked him he was humble beyond words and wished EVH well with his rehab.
Kept his hand in and is now coining it in with Chickenfoot.

[quote name='Born 2B Mild' post='418750' date='Feb 24 2009, 10:01 PM']How can anyone possibly diss these gentle ambassadors of the lowly strung?

[indent]Norman Watt-Roy
Dave Pegg
Danny Thompson[/indent]

And if they do, I'll send the ghost of Alex Harvey round to sort them out :)[/quote]
+1 to all 3!
Peggy even slides effortlessly onto mandolin just to keep the tension going.
DT just is! Identifiable sound, so versatile. Totally decent geezer, to boot. :rolleyes: :lol:

[quote name='leschirons' post='498350' date='May 26 2009, 10:18 PM']Can't say I've ever noticed anyone slagging off one of my faves. Leland Sklar. A grand ole man of bass.[/quote]

Yep I've never read or heard a bad word about Lee. He has surely played in nearly every genre of music, and played well. A totally nice guy when interviewed too. Big up for the best beard in music.

+1 for Andy Rourke

Adding - Mark Stoermer (Killers)

I'll stick up for Mark King too. The guy's an amazing player but just suffers from the British tall poppy syndrome - build em up, knock em down. The music might have been very MOR, the slapping over the top, but the guy's an amazing fingerstyle player; great feel. He can sing lead vocals at the same time too, which is a hell of an achievement.

Edited by stingrayfan

• 4 months later...

[quote name='yorick' post='418235' date='Feb 24 2009, 12:37 PM']Anyone for Marc Mendoza? except me, that is!!!![/quote]

Yeah I have met Marco, he has been a big influence on me, he plays so many different styles with real sincerity and panache, a great musician, and you will not meet a nicer human being. Stu

Err..
louis Johnson
Colin Hodgkinson
Neil Murray (anyone?)
and oh yeah the guvoner...Marky Mark King ( and if you dont agree you're a ....ect..ect..ect)
I am not only Right, but,
This is true
oh and
Andy Rouke, Andy Fraser, Pino& Jaco&..............z.zzzz..z.z.z.z.z.z.zzzzzzzzzzzzzzPaul Denman
zzzzzzLemmyzzzJohn Taylor....zzz,Nard Edwardszzzzzzzzzz

Geddy Lee- Can sing, play the bass and operate keyboards via footpedals all at the same time! And plays a bass that cost him $200.
Steve Harris- Fantastic player and writer.
Pino Plladino-Superb on The strat pack dvd.
Pete Way of UFO-Love the guys style and attitude to playing the bass.

John McVie, Andy Rouke, Geezer Butler, the late Jimmy Dewar ex Robin Trower, Roger Glover, Bob Daisley, Ronnie Lane, John Rhino Edwards of Quo, Jim Lea of Slade................

Jez

Andy Fraser -I've never heard anyone say anything negative about him

Mick Karn - Ditto

Duck Dunn - Ditto

Martin Turner - Ditto

Pete Stroud - Ditto

Jerome Rimson - him neither, but then I've not heard him mentioned at all by anyone but myself

I wish I could add Entwhistle, but then he has already been critised in this thread so does not qualify. My only crititism is that he was too good and I have no chance of being able to play like him.