Why become a member? ×

Just bought my first bass!!!! Ibanez SR400

new2bass

Hi All!!

Really excited just got back from buying my first bass ever! Guy at shop (Andertons Music Company) was really helpful not BULL. Said the sort of money I was willing to spend and we went from there.

So I got in the end an Ibanez SR400 in (he said a Limited edition colour) Charcoal Brown. Looks slush.

What are peoples experience/opinions on this Bass.

Also bought a 10 inch Ashdown amp.

Got to learn how to play now! God help me.

Reece ;)

Reece ;)
[/quote]

We all had to, and he won't help.
Don't be disheartened when you don't sound like guy pratt by the end of your first practice. I gave it an hour a day 5 times a week and after 2months things were sinking in and rhythms were coming out.
Only tip I would give is don't pick it up when you're tired, cos you'll only get p*ssed off with it when it won't work, and you will not pick it up again.
Good luck, can't wait to hear some success :P
Andy

ahh a soundgear and an ashdown, what i (pretty much) learned to play on. i had a few basses before the soundgear, but i didn't like any of em much until i got my soundgear, it just felt right.

admittedly they were different models, i use an SR500 and my ashdown was a five fifteen.

the SR series are all lovely basses, and good luck with learning to play!

As a newbie to bass myself (15 months in) I have 2 snippets of advice for you;

i) DO NOT SUCCUMB TO THE EVIL THAT IS TAB!!! (TAB has it's place but it will help you in the long run if you learn the 'proper' notes and notation)

ii) Find some guys to jam with, you will learn so much faster that way (and Bassists are always in demand)

Good luck it's great ;)

[quote name='HarryPotter' post='416745' date='Feb 22 2009, 05:31 PM']As a newbie to bass myself (15 months in) I have 2 snippets of advice for you;

i) DO NOT SUCCUMB TO THE EVIL THAT IS TAB!!! (TAB has it's place but it will help you in the long run if you learn the 'proper' notes and notation)

ii) Find some guys to jam with, you will learn so much faster that way (and Bassists are always in demand)

Good luck it's great :P[/quote]
i completly disagree with i) and say tabs are the absolute best way to start learning songs ;)

nice bit of kit youv started yourself out on, have fun!

[quote name='Kev' post='416747' date='Feb 22 2009, 05:34 PM']i completly disagree with i) and say tabs are the absolute best way to start learning songs ;)

n[/quote]

+1 on learning tab to start with. It's certainly helped me learn some songs and there is nothing better than being able to play some tunes.

[quote name='aceuggy' post='416760' date='Feb 22 2009, 05:56 PM']+1 on learning tab to start with. It's certainly helped me learn some songs and there is nothing better than being able to play some tunes.[/quote]

Yep don't see the harm at first, obviously you'll be kean to jump right in to learning a few of your favourite songs so don't worry too much for now about how you go about it. Just try to make sure if you do go for tabs that you are sourcing them from a reliable site.

All the best with learning the bass guitar mate, may it bring the happiness that is so clearly has to many members here!

*Just to add Andertons is a great place! Some very reaonsable prices as well.

Edited by joe_bass

Cheers all for friendly words. Sat on Bass for about 2 hours already feels cool!

Went to plug amp in and found the plug pin is bent! AAGGHH so cant amp her up but have been practicing anyways. YouTube is pretty great for learning so far.

As for the username yeah I may regret but oh well everydays a lesson!?

Reece.

[quote name='soopercrip' post='416733' date='Feb 22 2009, 05:16 PM']Don't be disheartened when you don't sound like [b]guy pratt[/b] by the end of your first practice.[/quote]
I sounded like A Pratt at the end of mine.

What, three months on... I still stink. ;)

Nice first bass there Reece.

The username isn't a big issue, the mods are so nice on here they'll actually change your username, should you so desire ;).

As for tab, definetly start out on it but to become good you will have to start learning songs by ear, just listen out to the basslines in the songs and it becomes easier and easier. I rarely ever use tabs, there are some people i know however who completely rely on tabs to learn anything. This is a really bad trap to get into so please, don't.

As for the amp, which plug is bent- the cable or the input jack on the amp? Either way you should take it back to the shop. There's no way something like that should happen to a piece of new equipment.

[quote name='EdwardHimself' post='416794' date='Feb 22 2009, 06:32 PM']The username isn't a big issue, the mods are so nice on here they'll actually change your username, should you so desire ;).

As for tab, definetly start out on it but to become good you will have to start learning songs by ear, just listen out to the basslines in the songs and it becomes easier and easier. I rarely ever use tabs, there are some people i know however who completely rely on tabs to learn anything. This is a really bad trap to get into so please, don't.

As for the amp, which plug is bent- the cable or the input jack on the amp? Either way you should take it back to the shop. There's no way something like that should happen to a piece of new equipment.[/quote]

Yeah definitely learn tabs. To be honest want to try and learn as much as possible really. More strings the to Bow and all that so Tabs will learn as well as ear.

Its the bottom right Pin on the actual plug that goes into wall. Yeah will take back to shop, pain in ass though.

Already listen to tracks and specifically listen to bass which is cool.

[quote name='new2bass' post='416719' date='Feb 22 2009, 04:55 PM']Hi All!!

Really excited just got back from buying my first bass ever! Guy at shop (Andertons Music Company) was really helpful not BULL. Said the sort of money I was willing to spend and we went from there.

So I got in the end an Ibanez SR400 in (he said a Limited edition colour) Charcoal Brown. Looks slush.

What are peoples experience/opinions on this Bass.

Also bought a 10 inch Ashdown amp.

Reece ;)[/quote]

Hello,
I'm new to all this as well. I've got an Ibanez soundgear (active) and I'm loving every minute of it and making slow but sure progress.

You will be fine here on Basschat, everybody's so helpful.

yes, learn to read the notes too. Tabs are useful for confidence, but they can be wrong, or show you a fingering which is not the true one used in the recording, or even the most efficient. I learned notation; it isnt that hard.

nice looking bass though, good choice.

Edited by Geek99

[quote name='GreeneKing' post='416813' date='Feb 22 2009, 06:53 PM']No photo no bass tho ;)[/quote]

Yes I'm afraid it's the law on here, we need pics of your gear.

You can take or leave the advice you get, that's your call, all I'd say is, enjoy yourself. Start off with some of your favourite CDs, and play along as best you can. Make up your own riffs, no matter how simple, just enjoy playing. Have fun, it really is ALL that matters at this stage.

Congrats! Those sneeky vocalists will have to go through +1 of us, before they exterminate us bassists, just like they did with drummers. About the tab thingy... Yeah. It's a cheap trick at the start and learning by ear is the best, but tabs help. Sadly, I dindn't have the pleasure of learning by ear, just because most of the songs I like are in different tunings (1/2 down 5string, drop D, C#, A) and it can be hard to learn by ear, not knowing exactly what tuning is being used.

[quote name='Geek99' post='416828' date='Feb 22 2009, 07:20 PM']yes, learn to read the notes too. Tabs are useful for confidence, but they can be wrong, or show you a fingering which is not the true one used in the recording, or even the most efficient. I learned notation; it isnt that hard.

nice looking bass though, good choice.[/quote]

Yeah that's exactly right. I remember 2 people i had in my band must have by their own accord read exactly the same tab for hand of blood by bullet for my valentine. In the verse there is a phrase that if they'd just listened to it you can clearly hear is fret 3-7 but they played it 3-5. This is the trap i'm on about, the fact that they seem completely unable to notice even where the tab is very obviously wrong just from giving the song a quick listen.

[quote name='fekalizatorius' post='416835' date='Feb 22 2009, 07:25 PM']Congrats! Those sneeky vocalists will have to go through +1 of us, before they exterminate us bassists, just like they did with drummers. About the tab thingy... Yeah. It's a cheap trick at the start and learning by ear is the best, but tabs help. Sadly, I dindn't have the pleasure of learning by ear, just because most of the songs I like are in different tunings (1/2 down 5string, drop D, C#, A) and it can be hard to learn by ear, not knowing exactly what tuning is being used.[/quote]

No excuse i'm afraid, really it's not difficult to hear what tuning it's in and besides if you're a 5 string player you should be able to play most songs without having to even change tunings at all. I can accept that tunings play a big part in the guitar but on the bass as long as you can actually play the notes then a good bass player can play the song!

[quote name='Merton' post='417608' date='Feb 23 2009, 05:17 PM']Hi Reece!

Photos needed, as has already been said :P

Will sort out some "lessons" asap, gonna give you a bell tonight or tomorrow ;)

Mert[/quote]

Cheers mate. Yeah will get some photos up soon. Took some on my phone but they were shocking quality.