Why become a member? ×

Banned Songs, London Rock Shop

kodiakblair

I always used to hit a brick wall as soon as I picked up a bass in a shop. I always dreamed of being able to just play an impressive bass line that encompassed the whole neck. Now I don't give a toss. I just noodle to hear how a bass sounds everywhere on the neck that I am likely to visit.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, mikebass456 said:

Cover Band Bingo must have most of them listed......😂😂

cover-band-bingo1.jpg

Only 7. What a sheltered life I have led.

I recall Kingfisher Music in Fleet having a similar list. They had a sliding scale of fines with all the money going to (IIRC) a local hospice.

2 hours ago, ubit said:

Absolutely no shame in playing these songs. You can be in a hip cover band playing songs folk don't know if you want. See how long the bookings keep coming in.

Nope, no shame playing anything if it's requested, and a couple of songs for the oldies are all well and good, but that list, with three exceptions, is songs from 40+ years ago. Our bookings list suggests today's audiences would like some things recorded after they were born... It's gonna be tough post-coronavirus, as I'm expecting the main audience for this sort of setlist will be staying away from the pubs awhile yet...

• Like 1

Just now, Muzz said:

Nope, no shame playing anything if it's requested, and a couple of songs for the oldies are all well and good, but that list, with three exceptions, is songs from 40+ years ago. Our bookings list suggests today's audiences would like some things recorded after they were born... It's gonna be tough post-coronavirus, as I'm expecting the main audience for this sort of setlist will be staying away from the pubs awhile yet...

Yeah, this is an old list but I'm sure there's another list for more current songs which also wouldn't be bad to play if you want gigs.

I remember going into Kingfisher Music in Fleet one time to ogle the basses and there was a guitarist playing Queen stuff.  He was amazing, tonally it was very close to Brian May but just using whatever was to hand.  It was quite a surprise to hear people showboating something different.

7 hours ago, Chiliwailer said:

Roka’s on Denmark St  had that (later bought out and changed to Rockers)  they had it at the back of the shop on the office door, way back in 1993 when I first worked there and for many years after. 
It said something along the lines of ‘Anyone playing these following songs should seriously consider if they have a career in rock n roll...’  I think the Rockers staff then put something similar on the front door about then being banned. 
The original Roka’s was a great shop - the place to get your spares before the internet. 

I think Nothing Else Matters was also in that list from approx 1992. :)

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Pseudonym said:

This is a vague memory, and possibly wide of the mark, but I seem to remember seeing a list of banned songs in the free magazine Making Music that music shops started distributing in the mid-1980s.

Cheers for that. I remember the paper, some fella has scanned about 170 of them so I'll shift through them while locked down.

• Like 1