Why become a member? ×

recommend me a Jaco song

burno70

[quote name='burno70' post='415307' date='Feb 20 2009, 02:01 PM']I'm looking to learn some Jazz pieces to help improve my technique. I quite like Jaco and Weather Report. Can anyone recommend a good starting point?

Thanks[/quote]

Depends which part of your technique you want to improve, but 'Come On Come Over' is great for right hand technique.

MB1. ;)
Maybe not a starting point..... but something to aspire to!
Surprised nobodys mentioned....Teen Town....Check Jacos Original then....check out Marcus Millers version of Teen Town on The Sun dont lie CD! :P

Edited by MB1

• 2 weeks later...

Teen Town is great but if you're only just starting to learn Jaco's stuff it will NOT be easy. I've been working on that one tune for about 2 years now and I'm only just starting to nail it cleanly. With Jaco there really isn't much in the way of easy stuff, if I were to recommend something to get you started learn the big band version of "The Chicken" with the "Soul Intro". If you're any good at playing harmonics you might want to try "Portrait of Tracey" but be warned it's quite difficult, again probably took me the best part of a year to get that one nailed. A really nice one if you can do false harmonics is "Birdland" from the Heavy Weather album, not too challanging but a lovely bass line. If you happen to be an amazing bass player you could always have a go at "Havona" but even The Yellowjacket's Jimmy Haslip struggled with this one (there's a really funny vid here [url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DKXeMj27jDg)"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DKXeMj27jDg)[/url]