Why become a member? ×

Wooten

steve-soar

[quote name='rslaing' post='484856' date='May 11 2009, 10:07 AM']Brilliant.............and what about this one?

[/quote]
This is my single favourite youtube vid. The first time I heard this piece I nearly wept. Utterly beautiful and my favourite solo bass piece ever. Adhan is well up there too.

[quote name='Rich' post='486654' date='May 13 2009, 09:39 AM']This is my single favourite youtube vid. The first time I heard this piece I nearly wept. Utterly beautiful and my favourite solo bass piece ever. Adhan is well up there too.[/quote]

He makes it all look so unbelievably easy as well. I mean, not only is he changing tunings all over the place, using some frankly bizarre plucking methods to generate those rhythms, but, and its a BIG but, thats a 3 octave fretless board, up the top it must be like a bl00dy violin to intonate :)

If he wasn't such a thoroughly nice bloke it would be very easy to dislike him :rolleyes:

On the issue of solo bass (and all the mud slinging that seems to follow it every time it seems to crop up), i think its about what speaks/appeals to you. I like wooten's playing. the double thumbing starts to grate after a while, but pieces like 'The Vision' and 'Sometimes I Laugh' are up there with the best solo bass pieces IMO.

Manring is off this planet as far as solo bass goes (see the enormous room vid.). his sense of phrasing and expression on his instrument is phenomenal (up there classical soloists in my opinion, clarinet, trumpet etc.)

And for those having a pop at tappity passages, check out Jean Baudins music on myspace. www.myspace.com/jeanbaudin

transcend and vanishing are fantastic pieces of solo music, played using contrapuntal tapping

[quote name='Rich' post='486654' date='May 13 2009, 09:39 AM']This is my single favourite youtube vid. The first time I heard this piece I nearly wept. Utterly beautiful and my favourite solo bass piece ever. Adhan is well up there too.[/quote]Breathtaking.

[quote name='Rich' post='486654' date='May 13 2009, 09:39 AM']This is my single favourite youtube vid. The first time I heard this piece I nearly wept. Utterly beautiful and my favourite solo bass piece ever. Adhan is well up there too.[/quote]
My wife played a bass for the first time this evening - I don't think I should let her see this or she might not pick it up again. Come to think of it, I might not pick one up again! :)

Amazing

Edited by bythesea

[quote name='OutToPlayJazz' post='416025' date='Feb 21 2009, 11:47 AM']We need players like Wooten. He pushes the envelope of what's possible on the instrument. And this in turn inspires us to become better bass players. Otherwise we all might as well just play 12 bar, 3 chord tricks in pubs for the rest of our lives.[/quote]

+1. I really don't understand why certain individuals in this forum feel it necessary to attempt to belittle such great ability. I wish I were in a position to decide whether to play this way, or not.

[quote name='pete.young' post='487412' date='May 13 2009, 10:52 PM']+1. I really don't understand why certain individuals in this forum feel it necessary to attempt to belittle such great ability. I wish I were in a position to decide whether to play this way, or not.[/quote]

You are, it depends how much effort you want to put in to it, and the style you want to develop. And whether or not you have the motivation to get there.

[quote name='steve-soar' post='413800' date='Feb 19 2009, 01:28 AM'][url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QYB-5Ih6i2k&NR=1"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QYB-5Ih6i2k&NR=1[/url][/quote]I started this thread and originally thought, that after seeing this video, I could not see the artist that Victor truly is, shining through, all I could see is a new endorsee, tap dancing for a nickel. I should have explained this.
I realise that Victor is just earning a living and wish him no ill feelings.

[quote name='rslaing' post='484856' date='May 11 2009, 10:07 AM']Brilliant.............and what about this one?

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aY4Ra2KOyas&feature=related"]Enormous Room[/url][/quote]

wow! that is astounding!

This whole type of thread has been going for ages...The Trads hate 'technical' players for having ability...they either dont have or dont need.."Its a bass,play BASS" type of response...

The Technicals hurl laud the man and defend him to the bone,because he is really...very very very good.

Thing is this..Its solo Bassplaying.....what it says on the tin...There isnt anything else to discuss,apart from tastes,and then it becomes bitchy mindless arguing.

For the record....I like some,I dislike others..I dont mind Vic,Trip's amazing,Carbonne,Baudin,Manring is awesome.....Lawson does not do it for me.

BUT.....Fact is this,They can PLAY Bassguitar,and PLAY Bassguitar a shitload better than all of us...they also solo too....they are nice guys as well...good people first,good musicians to boot.

To be even more honest....

None of us..and that includes EVERYONE,is even fit to even pass comment on their playing,because most of you wouldnt have the balls to actually say it to their faces,nor have the intellect capable of explaining why you dont like it beyond "I think its sh*t.."

And you wonder why 'Pros' dont come on here......

We dont deserve the attention.

Edited by ARGH

I tell people what I think. I like to be blunt, I hate subtext, but I recognise few are like that so I always try to say things with grace, and usually tact.

In fact, I even went out of my way to tell Victor Wooten what I thought of his music. I bought his Bass Day DVD. Watched it. And sent him an email. I think he's a phenomenal musician, and I love what he does with the bass. And I told him as such. I'd like to see more of his fingerstyle work as that always catches my ear, but I like a lot of his slap stuff too. There are a few things I'm not such a big fan of: the recent bizarre attraction of solo bassists to detuning random strings to random pitches and randomly playing. Good as an exercise? Maybe. Just cannot understand it as a performance. But hey! You take what you like, and leave what you don't! No-one said you had to like everything that one person does.

Anyway, I like Victor's playing, particularly his improv. His creativity and innovation inspires me, even if sometimes it leads him down paths that make me raise an eyebrow.

Mark

[quote name='ARGH' post='487632' date='May 14 2009, 10:10 AM']None of us..and that includes EVERYONE,is even fit to even pass comment on their playing,because most of you wouldnt have the balls to actually say it to their faces,nor have the intellect capable of explaining why you dont like it beyond "I think its sh*t.."[/quote]

Just to let you know, if I didn't think much of someones playing and had the opportunity to talk to them, and they asked, I would see no reason to lie,I would say what it was I didn't like to the best of my ability, since they were kind enough to ask.

In the case of Vic, its easy, he's a nice guy, and all I could say would be what I've said here, that I feel that he seems to have been driven down a certain path in his playing because that aspect of his playing has got him so much attention: which of course I may be wrong about. That his ensemble work (grooving or soloing) blows me away, but I don't enjoy his solo stuff as much. Not that I could play it, what on earth has that got to do with any of it.

If he asked if there were any solo bassists I liked, I'd say some of Manring's stuff has left a huge mark on me, both in sheer enjoyment of his playing, and the way he has pushed the boundaries of the instrument down such a unique path.

I am allowed to state my opinion. If asked I certainly would see no reason to falsify it. Any less would be very disrespectful to the player in question in fact.

I am absolutely ENTITLED to pass comment, unless we are suddenly living in some other place where I don't have even the most basic freedom of speech and expression. Any suggestion otherwise is absurd.

If pros don't want to hear or ask what people here think they don't have to come here. If they do, then they should be aware that people have every right to politely state their opinions. If they don't like that idea, that's fine too, as long as they don't come here.

[quote name='51m0n' post='487652' date='May 14 2009, 10:33 AM']1,Just to let you know, if I didn't think much of someones playing and had the opportunity to talk to them, and they asked, I would see no reason to lie,I would say what it was I didn't like to the best of my ability, since they were kind enough to ask.

2,I am absolutely ENTITLED to pass comment, unless we are suddenly living in some other place where I don't have even the most basic freedom of speech and expression. Any suggestion otherwise is absurd.

3,If pros don't want to hear or ask what people here think they don't have to come here. If they do, then they should be aware that people have every right to politely state their opinions. If they don't like that idea, that's fine too, as long as they don't come here.[/quote]
1,Then you are a good person and you are allowed a stay of execution.......

2,Of course...My statement was madness,But how many here are capable of critique on an equal musical level???

3,They dont,but who can blame them? A quantity of people on here..are..not....very..good..musicians...(said at risk)....dont read/wont read types..The 'I cant see the point in 5/6/+ string Basstuned instruments...The sort that if these 'better' musicians attempt to give a hand too,would just end up being unable to see the aid being handed too them...

I think there's a lot to be learnt from and for all,me included.

Last night i was shown a great tip on 'Cleaning' with WD40...and 'Bore oil' is THE BEST for Ebony & Rosewood fingerboards.

[quote name='ARGH' post='487663' date='May 14 2009, 10:54 AM']1,Then you are a good person and you are allowed a stay of execution.......

2,Of course...My statement was madness,But how many here are capable of critique on an equal musical level???

3,They dont,but who can blame them? A quantity of people on here..are..not....very..good..musicians...(said at risk)....dont read/wont read types..The 'I cant see the point in 5/6/+ string Basstuned instruments...The sort that if these 'better' musicians attempt to give a hand too,would just end up being unable to see the aid being handed too them...

Last night i was shown a great tip on 'Cleaning' with WD40...and 'Bore oil' is THE BEST for Ebony & Rosewood fingerboards.[/quote]
Hmm...
...#3 - according to whose criteria? Also why is not seeing the point of a bass with more than 4 strings indicative of not being a good musician...?

[quote name='Buzz' post='435776' date='Mar 16 2009, 09:50 AM']Wooten is a very good player, however, [b]the bass isn't really suited to being a solo instrument [/b]or the lead instrument (it can do leads occasionally, but it really isn't suited to it due to the area of the sonic spectrum it covers),[/quote]

Solos on Bass have been around for a few hundred years.

[b]'Classical repertoire..[/b]

[b]Solo works for double bass[/b]

[b] 1700s[/b]
[b]The double bass as a solo instrument [/b]enjoyed a period of popularity during the 18th century and many of the most popular composers from that era wrote pieces for the double bass. The double bass, then often referred to as the Violone used different tunings from region to region. The "Viennese tuning" (A-D-F♯-A) was popular, and in some cases a fifth string or even sixth string was added. The popularity of the instrument is documented in Leopold Mozart's second edition of his Violinschulë, where he writes "One can bring forth difficult passages easier with the five-string violone, and I heard unusually beautiful performances of concertos, trios, solos, etc."

The earliest known concerto to exist for the double bass was written by Joseph Haydn ca.1763, which was presumably lost in the fire at the Eisenstadt library. The earliest concertos that exist today are by Karl Ditters von Dittersdorf, who composed two concertos for the double bass and a Sinfonia Concertante for viola and double bass. Other composers that have written concertos from this period include Johann Baptist Vanhal, Franz Anton Hoffmeister (3 concertos), Leopold Kozeluch, Anton Zimmermann, Antonio Capuzzi, Wenzel Pichl (2 concertos), and Johannes Matthias Sperger (18 concertos). While many of these names were leading figures to the music public of their time, they are generally unknown by contemporary audiences. Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart's concert aria, "Per Questa Bella Mano", K.612 for bass, double bass obbligato, and orchestra contains impressive writing for solo double bass of that period. It remains popular among both singers and double bassists today.' :)

VW Rocks.

Garry

[quote name='ARGH' post='487663' date='May 14 2009, 10:54 AM']1,Then you are a good person and you are allowed a stay of execution.......

Last night i was shown a great tip on 'Cleaning' with WD40...and 'Bore oil' is THE BEST for Ebony & Rosewood fingerboards.[/quote]

1. Naturally, and when I'm Emporer I will have anyone who suggests otherwise shot at the first opportunity :)

2. Who says a critique is only valid if given by someone on an equal musical level. Thats nonsense, I am not on an equal musical level to Mozart I'm sure, but I am on an equal human level and therefore feel my appreciation or not of his music allows me to have an opinion on it and comment accordingly

3. My reading sucks, my walking sucks. So what. Its not something particularly at the forefront on the requirements for what I do do well. I groove like a b@stard thanks. Given that I'll comment on anyone's playing as I see fit, if they are too busy, or can't take another opinion then fine they dont have to listen. Frankly I can get what I need from a person's playing, all too often if I get to hear what they have to say about it it loses something for me.

[quote name='51m0n' post='487677' date='May 14 2009, 11:03 AM']1. Naturally, and when I'm Emporer I will have anyone who suggests otherwise shot at the first opportunity :)

2. Who says a critique is only valid if given by someone on an equal musical level. Thats nonsense, I am not on an equal musical level to Mozart I'm sure, but I am on an equal human level and therefore feel my appreciation or not of his music allows me to have an opinion on it and comment accordingly

3. My reading sucks, my walking sucks. So what. Its not something particularly at the forefront on the requirements for what I do do well. I groove like a b@stard thanks. Given that I'll comment on anyone's playing as I see fit, if they are too busy, or can't take another opinion then fine they dont have to listen. Frankly I can get what I need from a person's playing, all too often if I get to hear what they have to say about it it loses something for me.[/quote]

I like a man that admits he's sh*t,gobby and proud.....are we related??

[quote name='BassMunkee' post='487674' date='May 14 2009, 11:02 AM']Hmm...
...#3 - according to whose criteria? Also why is not seeing the point of a bass with more than 4 strings indicative of not being a good musician...?[/quote]
re-read