Why become a member? ×

Yew-topped SG-style Guitar * Finished Pics!

Andyjr1515

This a bit better, @Si600:)

yXGXDLRl.jpg

And now you should be able to see the tiny angle of the bridge towards the stoptail at the bass side.  Tiny, but it gives me a couple of mm safety factor for different string gauges, etc :)

Other jobs today, I epoxied  a couple of carbon rod stiffeners across the grain on the hatch to make sure it stays completely flat:

mvbmzipl.jpg

Then copper-foiled the chamber and hatch and added the bottom magnets:

igm0ETjl.jpg 

Next job is fitting the hatch magnets and then that's down to just 4 things still to do :D

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Andyjr1515 said:

This a bit better, @Si600:)

yXGXDLRl.jpg

That now passes the 'pickup ring on bottom edge of screen' test. 🙂

It's looking amazing, that wood is perfect for the guitar shape, or rather you've put everything in just the right place to make the most of the woods grain. 👍

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, sprocketflup said:

Hows that done then? Just glued onto the copper shielding? Having read quite a few of your threads, I doubt it'd be that simple :)

Basically yes :)

I used to cut away the shielding to glue them onto the wood but came to the conclusion they stick better to the shielding.  I use gel superglue and then a light surrounding of epoxy for good measure.

To position them, I put a bit of paper packing over the body magnet (which is set in about 1mm) and pop the lid magnet on top.  Therefore it is in the exact position and standing a touch proud.  I pop a spot of ca glue on the top face and then press the cover in place and hold it until the ca glue has set.  I lift off the cover complete now with ca'd magnet, remove the paper packing then repeat with the next one.  This way, all the hatch magnets are in exactly the right place without the need to measure anything ;)

1 minute ago, SpondonBassed said:

I imagine this takes care of any North/South misalignments too.

Oh yes, how annoying would that be, to have one the wrong way around? 

It's all these little details, which until you do the job you don't think about, that I enjoy reading about in these threads. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, SpondonBassed said:

I imagine this takes care of any North/South misalignments too.

Yes it does :)

5 hours ago, Maude said:

Oh yes, how annoying would that be, to have one the wrong way around? 

It's all these little details, which until you do the job you don't think about, that I enjoy reading about in these threads. 

and yes...trust me, been there, done that ;) 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Well - a small but important part:
DU6u3kpl.jpg

It's the ebony truss rod cover I've just made.  Important because it is the last made item that needed to be made!  

And the strings have arrived.  And I picked up the pickups from Matt today.
So it's now just about assembly and setup.  And I have a pretty clear day tomorrow :)

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, Si600 said:

It's very shiny, have you polished the ebony?

Is there space for the swifts... :search:

No - it's varnished to match the headstock :)

I did wonder about adding a swift, but I thought it might be overplaying the theme 😁

And, by the way.  They've arrived!!!!!  Summer is truly just around the corner 

• Like 2

It looks very tactile. 

But then I did get told off once for caressing a machine head for half an hour while sat next to my wife. It was beautifully engineered and so smooth. 

"What's that Love?  I'm a what? Well that's rude isn't it!" 

😆

• Haha 2

22 minutes ago, Andyjr1515 said:

Summer is truly just around the corner

5 minutes ago, TheGreek said:

Are you sure???

I just walked Shalla round there and I'm pretty sure I didn't see it...

Summer equinox in little over a month from now.  It's later than you think.

3 minutes ago, Maude said:

It looks very tactile. 

But then I did get told off once for caressing a machine head for half an hour while sat next to my wife. It was beautifully engineered and so smooth. 

"What's that Love?  I'm a what? Well that's rude isn't it!" 

😆

That made me laugh out loud.  MrsAndyjr1515 muttered something similar ;)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Forgive the dust on the headstock - I promise to give it a wipe-down before I do the fancy photos ;) - but I put a couple of magnets on the trussrod cover: 
jQTONBQl.jpg

Which hold it secure and straight:
cRMIt2Nl.jpg

Underneath the tip there is a tiny bevel sanded so that removal is just fingernail stuff:
I1svY8nl.jpg

Pickups and electrics are in and the 'first fit' is being done today and tomorrow.
Two things I've already picked up that need tweaking:
 - now I've tried it with strings, the neck needs just a bit more shaving off the haunches
- the two pickups are out of phase in the middle position (although they sound great individually).  As they are single conductor jobbies, it's an internal swop rather than just swopping the hot and return that you can do with a two-wire setup so I'll get one of them back to Matt to do the surgery.

But it's close enough to do a gratuitous photo or two :)

7dE5oFCh.jpg

6refZdah.jpg

If the light is good in the morning, I'll do the arty-farty photos before I take the neck pickup out again as it won't really change in outward appearance from this point on :)

• Like 8