Why become a member? ×

Who played bass on...

AussieBassman

[quote name='liamcapleton' post='408429' date='Feb 13 2009, 12:06 PM']She's an amazing bass player but she hasn't done herself justice by what she's said in the past concerning her part in Motown.[/quote]

+1

Just goes to show how much one small attitude problem can totally mess up your reputation for life.

[quote name='stingrayfan' post='408389' date='Feb 13 2009, 11:25 AM']Defo - she played on everything Motown apparently.[/quote]
No, she just played on [i]everything[/i]. Ever. You know that Entwistle bloke who used to supposedly play with the Who? That was her with a sticky on beard. And that Jocko bloke? Her in a wig. Anthony Jackson? Kaye, fat suit, boot polish. True.

If you haven't got it, check out the soundtrack to Standing In The Shadows Of Motown, the deluxe 2-disc version. One disc of the concert that's shown in the film and another disc full of original Motown tracks minus the vocals. Great to hear the band exposed, especially with the bass pushed higher in the mix - and the best karaoke backing tracks you'll ever get to sing along with.

Alex

[quote name='OldGit' post='408445' date='Feb 13 2009, 12:17 PM']....Just goes to show how much one small attitude problem can totally mess up your reputation for life....[/quote]
I don't see evidence that Carol Kaye has an "attitude problem". So she made a statement, which I haven't seen her repeat. Hardly an "attitude" being struck there I feel. Also I don't think that a few cheap shots from Basschat constitutes "messing up a reputation".
Carol Kaye was recording for Motown in LA, along with Wilton Felder and others, and it's a fact that a lot of LA recorded bass sessions got overdubbed by James Jamerson back in Detroit. But, whatever, her reputation for playing on 1000's of sessions and 100's of hit records stands.

[quote name='AussieBassman' post='408231' date='Feb 13 2009, 08:44 AM']Standing In The Shadows Of Love by the 4 Tops?

Sounds like it's played [b]with a pick [/b]so probably not Mr. Jameson.[/quote]

if it was played with a pick.........

then it probably wasnt a [b][color="#000000"]proper[/color][/b] bassist :P

to my ears sounds like it was with fingers ;)

[quote name='alexclaber' post='408461' date='Feb 13 2009, 12:29 PM']If you haven't got it, check out the soundtrack to Standing In The Shadows Of Motown, the deluxe 2-disc version. One disc of the concert that's shown in the film and another disc full of original Motown tracks minus the vocals. Great to hear the band exposed, especially with the bass pushed higher in the mix - and the best karaoke backing tracks you'll ever get to sing along with.

Alex[/quote]

I've been playing that double CD almost non-stop for the last week! ;) It certainly sounds like Mr Jamerson, and as suggested maybe a bit liefted by the desk.

[quote name='chris_b' post='408675' date='Feb 13 2009, 03:22 PM']I don't see evidence that Carol Kaye has an "attitude problem". So she made a statement, which I haven't seen her repeat. Hardly an "attitude" being struck there I feel. Also I don't think that a few cheap shots from Basschat constitutes "messing up a reputation".
Carol Kaye was recording for Motown in LA, along with Wilton Felder and others, and it's a fact that a lot of LA recorded bass sessions got overdubbed by James Jamerson back in Detroit. But, whatever, her reputation for playing on 1000's of sessions and 100's of hit records stands.[/quote]

Yes I agree she is a great bass player
Ask any bass player (and face it, who else will now who she is) and they will probably say "great basss player but she claimed she played on many Motown hits that she didn't, even though its a grey area."
That's what I mean. But hey, I've just read it on the web..