Why become a member? ×

Practice amps...

andy67

Checked out a lot of practice amps in Edinburgh music shops over the weekend...had a budget of £100; was looking for something fairly small but beefy in tone but not that horrible boxy sound - found nothing suitable! ;)

Orange Crush B20 - nope
Mrashall 15 - nope
Line 6 Lowdown 15 - nope

etc, etc, etc...all to middy boxy rubbish!

Checked some net reviews on the ashdown perfect ten and decided to buy one.

Anyone got one of these, use them and can give me an idea of what it is like?

all comments and experiences appreciated.

andy

Edited by andy67

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='405009' date='Feb 10 2009, 08:03 AM']By 'practice amp', do you mean 'noodling in the house'?

If so, the Perfect Ten is definitely one of the better ones out there.[/quote]

yep, exactly what I mean!

cheers

andy

I've got an Ampeg b50 Rocket which I got off ebay for about £150.

Was a few years back. - But is excellent for around the house - it sounds like a proper amp but is smallish - being a 1x10 and is not too thunderous for next door.

Don't think there's that many of them about though.

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=40794"]Lowdown 110![/url] A cracking little practice amp which you can multi task live/in the studio with as well if required

I love mine and loved my Lowdown 150 too when I had one of them previously (the latter is probably venturin out of noodling at home territory mind)

^^ used to own a minirig too, should never have got rid!

Got the perfect ten last night...its a bit thinner tone wise than I expected - I think I had kind of expected it to sound like a trace blx 80...can hope eh?

Anyway after a few hours of playing it's pretty good actually, small, compact, good build quality, clean and clear, enough variation in the eq to allow for customising and setting desired tone, more than adequate volume for the house and does the job for me.

recomending?? difficult! I suppose its all down to personal taste and considering the issues I had when loking for an small practice amp!! I could only recomend that you try out as much as possible but...the perfect ten is a serious contender.

andy

Edited by andy67

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='andy67' post='404314' date='Feb 9 2009, 02:09 PM']Checked out a lot of practice amps in Edinburgh music shops over the weekend...had a budget of £100; was looking for something fairly small but beefy in tone but not that horrible boxy sound - found nothing suitable! ;)

Orange Crush B20 - nope
Mrashall 15 - nope
Line 6 Lowdown 15 - nope

etc, etc, etc...all to middy boxy rubbish!

Checked some net reviews on the ashdown perfect ten and decided to buy one.

Anyone got one of these, use them and can give me an idea of what it is like?

all comments and experiences appreciated.

andy[/quote]

I've got one and have found it really good. Like you I did the rounds of the music shops in Newcastle and found the Perfect Ten was the best sound by far, irrespective of price. I've used it at home, at rehearsals and a small gig. Mind, it struggles a bit with a 5 string and is quite heavy to cart around.

Kevin

• 1 year later...

I've got an Orange 20B and it fairs very well even in practice rooms and is obviously ideal for the bedroom. Can lose some clarity at really high volumes but if you can pick up one on eBay for half the RRP then I'd go for it.

I used to have the perfect ten minirig, the sound was amazing but after about a year and a half the head stopped working. I sent it back to soundcontrol who couldn't fix it. I bought a new laney head and still have the cabs, the speakers are really good and can provide a full, bassy tone despite their size. I'd recommend the combo or if you can get your hands on a minirig definatly go for that!

Edited by allihts

Surprised you didn't see anything you liked at Scayles, they always did me well & I'd say it's the best gear shop in Edinburgh now that they have two shops again. I always asked for and got discount for cash off them for gear, ask Vince or Adam they'll tell you, hee hee, but it extends your price range & they're happy to do it. Their 2nd shop in W crosscauseway does used gear too now.

Guitar, Guitar way down the west end is well worth the trek out too, surprisingly big shop and good range of stuff. Rikki's down leith walk is a crock so I wouldn't bother going back there.

Course this is all hindsight cos you got fixed up. I would have recommended a Crate amp that I have & got discount for which came down to £115. It has a "live" setting which is just fizz if you don't set it up right but as a practise level amp on the other channel I've never heard better.