Why become a member? ×

The Musical Box

skb558

4 hours ago, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

I dunno, the audience seemed quite up for it when Denis announced it during the gig I went to. I had already bought tickets, so I'm in (again) already.

Regarding Supper's Ready (reaches for armour piercing bullets), I love it. It should not be abbreviated either. IMHO. Which is also correct 😂

The track you never complain about factor. 

I saw the first show of the MB tour in St Albans and was mildly disappointed. Quite a few mistakes, and a lot of full volume 12-string tuning between songs - is that part of the early 70s authenticity? I much preferred Hackett’s show, to be honest. 

Edited by pineweasel

Just now, pineweasel said:

I saw the first show of the MB tour in St Albans and was mildly disappointed. Quite a few pink torpedo-ups, and a lot of full volume 12-string tuning between songs - is that part of the early 70s authenticity? I much preferred Hackett’s show, to be honest. 

You've just reminded me of something incredibly irritating about the show, that faux seventies tuning up. 

19 minutes ago, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

To be fair, the two members of TMB I've picked on are the newbies, so perhaps I should give them a break.

Don't get me wrong, they weren't specifically bad or anything and I am sure they were a recreation of a band in the 70s, but it seemed like they were more trying to be a recreation of a thing than to really bring the music to life. I guess Steve Hackett has the advantage that he wasn't trying to be anything but does the music as well as he can. And let's face it, he probably has a lot more practice

16 hours ago, Woodinblack said:

Don't get me wrong, they weren't specifically bad or anything and I am sure they were a recreation of a band in the 70s, but it seemed like they were more trying to be a recreation of a thing than to really bring the music to life. I guess Steve Hackett has the advantage that he wasn't trying to be anything but does the music as well as he can. And let's face it, he probably has a lot more practice

I thought the Musical Box were far more authentic the times I've seen them. When I last saw Hackett it was basically a bunch of guys playing Genesis songs, but not really sounding exactly like Genesis, although in both cases it may depend on who is playing in each band. I'm afraid that I always prefer authenticity when it comes to my favourite bands. I don't want to hear someone playing Supper's Ready unless it sounds EXACTLY like Genesis. Although just to muddy the waters I prefer the Seconds Out version to the Foxtrot version, probably because I heard it first. To me, it has far more power and emotion. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, 4000 said:

I thought the Musical Box were far more authentic the times I've seen them. When I last saw Hackett it was basically a bunch of guys playing Genesis songs, but not really sounding exactly like Genesis, although in both cases it may depend on who is playing in each band. I'm afraid that I always prefer authenticity when it comes to my favourite bands. I don't want to hear someone playing Supper's Ready unless it sounds EXACTLY like Genesis. Although just to muddy the waters I prefer the Seconds Out version to the Foxtrot version, probably because I heard it first. To me, it has far more power and emotion. 

The more power and emotion thing was why I prefered the hacket version. Musical Box were certainly doing the authentic thing, they dressed and acted the same and had old instruments that undoubtedly were authentic, and I guess if I cared about that sort of thing, that would have swayed it for me. Just the music left me a bit cold.

28 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

The more power and emotion thing was why I prefered the hacket version. Musical Box were certainly doing the authentic thing, they dressed and acted the same and had old instruments that undoubtedly were authentic, and I guess if I cared about that sort of thing, that would have swayed it for me. Just the music left me a bit cold.

I found exactly the opposite. As I’ve said elsewhere, the actual sounds used in a band are a huge part of what I like about the music. Change the sounds, for me you change the music. Plus Hackett’s band, particularly Nick Beggs and the drummer, weren’t necessarily playing the exact parts. For me that’s a complete no-no. 

6 minutes ago, 4000 said:

I found exactly the opposite. As I’ve said elsewhere, the actual sounds used in a band are a huge part of what I like about the music. Change the sounds, for me you change the music. Plus Hackett’s band, particularly Nick Beggs and the drummer, weren’t necessarily playing the exact parts. For me that’s a complete no-no. 

I'm going to Hackett's Seconds Out tour.. If Nick Beggs is on bass, I'll be gutted. *crosses fingers for Pomeroy or one of the other lads*

35 minutes ago, wateroftyne said:

I'm going to Hackett's Seconds Out tour.. If Nick Beggs is on bass, I'll be gutted. *crosses fingers for Pomeroy or one of the other lads*

I'm going too. I like Nick Beggs, great player, but I prefer Pomeroy in this situation. 

As a previous Rutherford in tribute land, agreed that Lee Pomeroy is top of the pops when it comes to Hackett's band. That said, Nick Beggs, Jonas reingold et al are no slouches either. I had a chat with Terry Gregory (from pre-Genesis Revisited days) at a gig recently and he gave Lee Pomeroy the tip of the hat as well. Funny thing was (and I pointed this out to him to some "omg yes youre right" reaction) that both he and Lee are upside-down lefty players, which makes copping any licks pretty much impossible. As was Jimmy Haslip, coincindentally playing in the bdan we'd just seen.

Anyway - back on track. The Musical Box, seen them a few times since the mid-90s but not since The Lamb at (a very well sold) Royal Albert Hall. Many ticks in boxes and good luck ongoing to them, but for me their level of authenticity is far too close to what's recorded rather than that was played live.

I guess there is enough to keep the musical box going then. I won't bother seeing them again, but maybe there are some other tributes (or covers) I can see at some point. I am not going to get to see Hacket this time, for some reason they have removed Bath from their list of venues, so there is nothing really close enough for a midweek gig.

8 hours ago, chaypup said:

😬

They're both called Steve aren't they?

Practically the same thing 😭

I saw Steve Hillage last November - drove all he way to Aylesbury for it. I wouldn't cross the road to see Steve Hackett play, just not my type of music.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, stewblack said:

I came here because I like Steve Hillage ended up reading about Genesis tribute bands.

I liked Steve Hillage back in the day when I was a hippy, but that was a long time ago. But my sister gave me a copy of Trick of the Tail* in 1977, when I was 12, and it literally changed my musical direction from then.

* because it was scratched so she bought a new one, and I still sing the jump.

Edited by Woodinblack
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1