Why become a member? ×

Ashdown Customer service

Prosebass

I've been repairing a dead Ashdown Perfect 10 Mini Rig head so contacted Ashdown Technical Services via email and they replied within 30 minutes ;) with a full circuit diagram and a probable cause, which agreed with my diagnosis and we were both correct. 2 new power transistors at 97p each from CPC and a couple of hours work and its up and running again

Great Service.... :P well impressed.

[quote name='Prosebass' post='390005' date='Jan 23 2009, 09:32 PM']I've been repairing a dead Ashdown Perfect 10 Mini Rig head so contacted Ashdown Technical Services via email and they replied within 30 minutes ;) with a full circuit diagram and a probable cause, which agreed with my diagnosis and we were both correct. 2 new power transistors at 97p each from CPC and a couple of hours work and its up and running again

Great Service.... :P well impressed.[/quote]

Yes, great service. If only it wasn't called on so often.

[quote name='Protium' post='390093' date='Jan 23 2009, 11:37 PM']ITT: Ashdown can't do anything right ;)[/quote]

Dont be silly, of course they can but they have/had a bad rep for a reason.

Personaly ive had two Ashdown amps that have become faulty within the first 12 months of service. Its no seceret that when they first switched production to China they had reliability problems.
I do like thair amps but would not trust them any more. And thats based on persoanly experience.

I'm a long time advocate of Ashdown amps and their customer service!
I've had my UK built ABM EVO II for 5 years ish without any breakdowns, until the start of Jan '09 that is....thats 5 years without a service, not even a change of tube, hundreds & hundreds of gigs. The minute I tell them about the fault, they say its fine to come over to chelmsford for them to fix my amp (see my related thread in General Discussion), provide me with some great hospitality and all for a very very reasonable price!

Obviously I can't comment on their products made in China, but what I will say is that they're still making amps over here, so maybe you should give them a try before dismissing the entire product range as flawed. I'm even pretty sure that it was just a few batches of the chinese line that was dodgy, and most reliability issues have been ironed out now.

Si

[quote name='Protium' post='390093' date='Jan 23 2009, 11:37 PM']ITT: Ashdown can't do anything right ;)[/quote]

Hmmm....thinking about it they knew what the problem would be so that says that they must have had a lot failed with the same problem. Usual reason for power transistors going is too low a load ie 4 ohm instead of 8 ohm but that should have taken out the speaker protection fuse which hadn't happened.So just crap transistors that had shorted over time with use and 4 years isn't very good !
The power transistors were 97p each !!!! and the amp was a 2004 model designed in the UK but built in China. Compared to a Fal combo I have just butchered for the amp there is no comparison in build quality as the Fal is hand wired and was built in 77 and although its hardly a wonderful amp its still working after 30 years.
The Ashdown Mini Rig was always a budget amp and with all things these days built to a price.

[quote name='Sibob' post='390106' date='Jan 23 2009, 11:51 PM']Obviously I can't comment on their products made in China, but what I will say is that they're still making amps over here, so maybe you should give them a try before dismissing the entire product range as flawed. I'm even pretty sure that it was just a few batches of the chinese line that was dodgy, and most reliability issues have been ironed out now.

Si[/quote]

I didn't say their entire product range is flawed. But i know that the two amps i had were. And if you read back over the past 3-4 years most of the problems people have had are quite similar, so it did seem like some of their products were flawed in some way, be it design faults or just poor QC.
My MAG (which i actually still have) went "funny" at a gig and my ABM never worked properly since day one.
There were a few reports of PSU's failing as well although i think they were more over in the states.

Make of that what you will. I'm sure its only a small % of amps but if you happen to have one and it goes at a gig it doesn't matter how great the service is, it wont get you through a gig. I know of at least three other bass player who have been put off getting Ashdown because of these problems.

This is a very old topic, Ive had bad experience and many other haven't. I'll not argue about how good or bad Ashdowns QC is as i know on the whole its fine.

I'm not going to dump my MB heads just to see if the later Ashdowns are any better. Personally i don't like the ABM tone anyway but i am interested in how the LG heads are going, early days i know but I'm sure once more people have used them on gigs we will get a better idea of how they preform.

I didn't mean to upset anyone over this and i know 1000's of user have had no problems with Ashdown, i just wish i was one of them.

they had a problem with the prc models a while ago but they have hopefully been ironed out.lets not forget ashdown are not the only manufacture to experiance problems,just that you always hear about them more.maybe its because of the amount they sell?anyway my abm 11 head has been ok,but it is a uk one! ;) :P

[quote name='bassmansky' post='390317' date='Jan 24 2009, 12:28 PM']they had a problem with the prc models a while ago but they have hopefully been ironed out.lets not forget ashdown are not the only manufacture to experiance problems,just that you always hear about them more.maybe its because of the amount they sell?anyway my abm 11 head has been ok,but it is a uk one! :P :)[/quote]

Yeah, i never said they were any worse than other compaies, just that they have a bit of a bad rep.
In my personal experience, playing for over 20 years ive only had two amps fail me, as mention above.
By the way, both my MAG and ABM are UK made as well ;)

I've had two ashdowns in to me for repair recently and would'nt have one for a gift. I got no reply from them in request for a guitar amp schematic and the build quality of the 1x10 bass combo was appalling not to mention the sound. Surely if they market themselves as an engineering company they should at least screw things together properly, and not use 10mm self tap screws to hold a speaker in place with. No wonder it was making a farty noise. Utter crap.
There rant over.
Cheers Just

[quote name='kennyrodg' post='390803' date='Jan 25 2009, 10:05 AM']Glad it worked out for you mate[/quote]

Cheers Pete for the amp, it took about 3 hours (trip to CPC included) to sort it out.
It will be fine as a little practice amp for home use, just got to put a 2 x 12" cab together for it.
Appreciated mate.

[quote name='Subthumper' post='391078' date='Jan 25 2009, 05:33 PM']I've had two ashdowns in to me for repair recently and would'nt have one for a gift. I got no reply from them in request for a guitar amp schematic and the build quality of the 1x10 bass combo was appalling not to mention the sound. Surely if they market themselves as an engineering company they should at least screw things together properly, and not use 10mm self tap screws to hold a speaker in place with. No wonder it was making a farty noise. Utter crap.
There rant over.
Cheers Just[/quote]

The aforementioned Mini Stack Amp is quite well assembled using captive nuts to hold the chassis in. The heat-sink is more than ample and it was installed correctly with "heat paste" as were all the Power Transistors.
The actual amp only takes up 1/3 rd of the case space so plenty of cooling available. The amp itself is a very straight forward design and build. For the price they were sold at that these amps are simple "budget" models so you would not expect them to do too much but are fine for practice or music sets where volume is not required.

I wish I'd had a good experience.

My MAG combo blew its mains transfomer after a year from new.

It took Ashdown 6 weeks to obtain a new one to send to the dealer who did the repair.

The dealer charged me £15 P&P for the transformer even for a warranty repair.

When I complained to Ashdown I was told that the P&P was at their dealer's discretion. Some warranty.

So, all due respect to Ashdown for promptly sending a circuit diagram and some advice. To mend a product that really shouldn't have failed that early in its life. At your expense. And fortunately you had the means and skill to do the repair yourself rather than pay....

MB1. ;)
Thought i'd Share this one!....Phoned Ashdown late on a Friday Afternoon regarding a replacement pot on a small practice amp,id just been to Maplins and it seemed the pot wasnt standard(shorter shaft on the Ashdown one).Anyway i spoke to a guy called Russ i believe,who knew exactly what i was talking about and even sorted another wiring dilemma i had.He took my name and address and said he would pop a replacement in the post no charge!.......which was Nice!........Bloody Hell!.....Saturday Morning! the parcels on the doormat. Now if thats not Great Service...... :P
Many Thanks Ashdown!...
Martin.

For a split second that was confusing!.....Thanks for moving this! :)

Edited by MB1

I'd add my name to the list of Ashdown Customer Service fans. I've had contact with them several times of the last couple of years (no, not all faults!). I have always found them quick to respond and excellent in their advice.

For example, they sent a replacement LED for my VU meter (free, next day delivery) and suggested using a contact cleaner for my noisy pots rather than take it to a shop for a service. They are also always quick to help with advice for matters as diverse as extension cab suggestions, and insurance valuations.

I love the sound/look of the gear too, so have no problems in recommending their products to anyone.

[quote name='MB1' post='396855' date='Feb 1 2009, 02:27 PM']MB1. ;)
Thought i'd Share this one!....Phoned Ashdown late on a Friday Afternoon regarding a replacement pot on a small practice amp,id just been to Maplins and it seemed the pot wasnt standard(shorter shaft on the Ashdown one).Anyway i spoke to a guy called Russ i believe,who knew exactly what i was talking about and even sorted another wiring dilemma i had.He took my name and address and said he would pop a replacement in the post no charge!.......which was Nice!........Bloody Hell!.....Saturday Morning! the parcels on the doormat. Now if thats not Great Service...... :P
Many Thanks Ashdown!...
Martin.

For a split second that was confusing!.....Thanks for moving this! :)[/quote]

I just had an email from Russ - someone pinched one of the knobs and all of the little white tips for the eq sliders off the front of my ABM, so I emailed Ashdown to try and get some replacements and guess what -they're in the post today free of charge!!!

I don't care what any of the Ashdown haters on here say - the company is genious. And in general the stuff is super reliable - ok they had some qc issues when they moved production over to prc, but then again tell me one big manufacturer that hasn't had some sort of QC issue at some point, cos I can't think of one.

Edited by lateralus462

I am very pleased with my Ashdown rig. It gets plenty of use and gets knocked about quite a bit with all the loading / unloading. The only bit that has failed in the last 3 years is one of the wheels on the 810! I'm looking to upgrade the casters anyhow as its a bitch to move.