Why become a member? ×

Perfect Party Set List Required Urgently

tonybassplayer

The female singer in my main band and I have been discussing life, work, music, future etc and we are looking in to possibly forming a partnership to start a party/function band that may ultimately lead us to be able to give up our day jobs although we are under no illusion that it will take a lot of time, investment and hard work to get anywhere near that level.

We have a good blend of skills between us from a marketing, managing, organising, presentation, musical etc point if view.

The function band we currently play in are pretty good musically and a great fun party and pub band but some of the members are very reluctant to move to the next step in investment of equipment and time so we basically cap out at a certain level. The main problem is that of "leadership" as we either end up with everyone doing something or no one doing it. We want to take on that role ( dividing it between us ) and then pay the other band members for playing.

We are meeting tonight to discuss it and just to make sure we are on the same wavelength I am compiling a list of surefire dance floor fillers. Songs that are guaranteed to hit the spot every time. As long as the songs get people on the dance floor then anything is allowed, pop, rock, cheese, soul, funk etc etc

Songs like these

Do You Love Me
Raining Men
I Want You Back
Disco Inferno
Mamma Mia

Hope you can add me another twenty today..........

[quote name='tonybassplayer' post='390260' date='Jan 24 2009, 10:48 AM']We are meeting tonight to discuss it and just to make sure we are on the same wavelength I am compiling a list of surefire dance floor fillers. Songs that are guaranteed to hit the spot every time. As long as the songs get people on the dance floor then anything is allowed, pop, rock, cheese, soul, funk etc etc

Songs like these

Raining Men
I Want You Back
Disco Inferno
Mamma Mia

Hope you can add me another twenty today..........[/quote]
They'll definitely hit the spot at a civil partnership. ;) Nothing wrong with that, but I think you need to understand who your audience are going to be. Disco works well with 30's and above, plus any crowds that aren't too self conscious. Motown works with nearly everyone, no class divides or associations there. We tend to do a mix of both with some cool top 40 stuff thrown in too. In an ideal world my band would have a set dedicated to each, once we'd seen from the first set what the punters liked the most.

[quote name='Crazykiwi' post='390273' date='Jan 24 2009, 11:01 AM']In an ideal world my band would have a set dedicated to each, once we'd seen from the first set what the punters liked the most.[/quote]

Great idea. It's always a good idea to have a lot more songs on hand that you think you'll need, just in case you notice that the songs you've planned may not exactly be suitable for the crowd on that particular night. At the end of the day, in a covers band you are catering for a certain audience, so it's good to give them what they want!

Some staples of any wedding/function type band IMO would include -

Queen - Another One Bites The Dust
Sknyrd - Sweet Home Alabama
Chuck Berry - Johnny B Goode
GnR - Sweet Child Of Mine

You know the type! I'd also recommend learning some up-to-date tunes for when the occasion arises, for example if you were playing at the moment, you'd play Kings Of Leon, the Killers and the like. Simple, fun to play and drunk people love 'em!

I applaud your intentions to play music full time, the highs and lows are unique! Let us know how you get on anyway!

Danny

[quote name='tonybassplayer' post='390260' date='Jan 24 2009, 10:48 AM']We want to take on that role ( dividing it between us ) and then pay the other band members for playing.[/quote]

I was in the position of one your prospective band members until recently , and it gave me a very low sense of commitment towards the band.
So much so that I just stopped accepting the crap gigs lol

Before you learn Nillson's 'Without You' and 'I Fall to Pieces' by whoever - these are actually songs about people splitting up.

You've no idea how many people ask for it for first dances then quickly change their minds when we tell them what the songs are about.

There are loads of websites devoted to listing top wedding band songs.

The drummer and I split the work between us. I do the packs, print CDs etc and he sends the packs, speaks to the potential customer's. We only do 1 wedding fare a year. The guitarist's son did our webpage. He made a god job of it but, unfortunately, the pictures that we had taken make us look like the f***ing 'Good Ole Boys' Country band. Having my, now long gone, '51 reissue P bass in the middle of the main picture doesn;t help. We have new pictures but haven't updated the site yet.

[quote name='NickThomas' post='390287' date='Jan 24 2009, 11:32 AM']I was in the position of one your prospective band members until recently , and it gave me a very low sense of commitment towards the band.
So much so that I just stopped accepting the crap gigs lol[/quote]

Fully understand your response and if I could get 5/6 members wanting to put 100% commitment in equal shares then that would be perfect but reality is that some people just want to turn up and play which is absolutely fine but we are talking of going out to wedding fayres, meeting potential clients at home, liaising with venues, marketing etc so we will be putting a lot more time effort and money in to the project so I think that deserves more financial recognition.

Good luck with the band.

If no one wants to take charge then YOU should do it.
Invest in some backline and lights (see Thomann for great deals).
Then take 10-15% off the gig fees to pay for the equipment until you get your money back.

That's pretty normal for anyone starting up a band.
Tell the other members and see if they are happy with it.

For making the initial investment you will end up with your own PA and lights.

I have done it and have played in many bands that have done it that way too.

On a lighter note.... The worst songs are always the winners unfortunately.

Try these (sorry all musos past and present)

Mustang Sally (Ouch)
Brown Eyed Girl
I Will Survive
YMCA
500 Miles
Delilah
Walking On Sunshine
and (God forgive me).....Dancing Queen

I feel dirty now... but believe me, they work

pj

[quote name='obbm' post='390407' date='Jan 24 2009, 02:43 PM']Songs that have been used in the soundtracks of movies in the last 20 years or so.[/quote]

Now funny that you should have mentioned that as one of my ideas is to take songs from Grease, Dirty Dancing, Blues Bothers, Commitments and Mamma Mia etc and build a show around them

We already play some of them and they go down really well

I know that I shouldn't really say this but when you are up there playing the one thing that makes you feel good ( and overrides the long drive, no time for soundcheck, no food for 8 hours, no free drinks, hard load in, missed solo's etc etc etc ) is seeing a packed dance floor 8 bars in to the fist song ;)

[quote name='Crazykiwi' post='390273' date='Jan 24 2009, 11:01 AM']They'll definitely hit the spot at a civil partnership. ;) Nothing wrong with that, but I think you need to understand who your audience are going to be. Disco works well with 30's and above, plus any crowds that aren't too self conscious. Motown works with nearly everyone, no class divides or associations there. We tend to do a mix of both with some cool top 40 stuff thrown in too. In an ideal world my band would have a set dedicated to each, once we'd seen from the first set what the punters liked the most.[/quote]

Yes, that is a very good point.

Our current repertoire is good for most occasions but with a little more commitment we could add more new songs for the younger generation that are at the party as most of the current chart bands play songs that are relatively easy to learn.

[quote name='tonybassplayer' post='390433' date='Jan 24 2009, 03:12 PM']Now funny that you should have mentioned that as one of my ideas is to take songs from Grease, Dirty Dancing, Blues Bothers, Commitments and Mamma Mia etc and build a show around them

We already play some of them and they go down really well

I know that I shouldn't really say this but when you are up there playing the one thing that makes you feel good ( and overrides the long drive, no time for soundcheck, no food for 8 hours, no free drinks, hard load in, missed solo's etc etc etc ) is seeing a packed dance floor 8 bars in to the fist song ;)[/quote]

The guy that I played for about 4 years ago had a strange mix of oldies. he hadn't been born when the songs were new and eventually I twigged that they'd all been used in movies. They went down with all age groups because the youngsters knew them.

Don't limit yourself to the musicals, they are some great number in Shrek, From Dusk Til Dawn, etc.

Did I mention Twist And Shout/La Bamba?

[quote name='Crazykiwi' post='390273' date='Jan 24 2009, 11:01 AM']They'll definitely hit the spot at a civil partnership. ;) Nothing wrong with that, but I think you need to understand who your audience are going to be. Disco works well with 30's and above, plus any crowds that aren't too self conscious. Motown works with nearly everyone, no class divides or associations there. We tend to do a mix of both with some cool top 40 stuff thrown in too. In an ideal world my band would have a set dedicated to each, once we'd seen from the first set what the punters liked the most.[/quote]
+1 to all of this.

Also, some of the suggestions further down the thread simply aint gonna work with a female vocalist.

[quote name='PJ Phillips' post='390404' date='Jan 24 2009, 02:38 PM']Good luck with the band.

If no one wants to take charge then YOU should do it.
Invest in some backline and lights (see Thomann for great deals).
Then take 10-15% off the gig fees to pay for the equipment until you get your money back.

That's pretty normal for anyone starting up a band.
Tell the other members and see if they are happy with it.

For making the initial investment you will end up with your own PA and lights.

I have done it and have played in many bands that have done it that way too.

On a lighter note.... The worst songs are always the winners unfortunately.

Try these (sorry all musos past and present)

Mustang Sally (Ouch)
Brown Eyed Girl
I Will Survive
YMCA
500 Miles
Delilah
Walking On Sunshine
and (God forgive me).....Dancing Queen

I feel dirty now... but believe me, they work

pj[/quote]

Must admit that several of the above are already in our set and most of the remainder are on the "to do" list

So 'I Ain't Gonna Funk No More (With No Big Fat Woman)' is probably off the list then ;-)

Top of my head;

Ride On Time - Black Box
Papa's Gotta Brand New Pig Bag/Reach Up
Standing In The Way Of Control - Gossip
Naked In The Rain - Blue Pearl
Mr. Big Stuff - Jean Knight
Kiss - Prince/Tom Jones

Song songs gender change easier than others, so 'Play That Funky Music (White Boy)' would convert easy. Problem for most bands that do covers is avoiding over-done, overblown million sellers but also not indulging in obscure novelties. There should also be some differential between your act and hiring a DJ to play the same songs...

For party/function gigs, you need to stick in all the stuff that will get people running for the floor to dance. Depends on your line-up but these never failed in my old UK function band

Brown Sugar
Satisfaction
Relax
Freak out
Dancing in the dark (Springsteen)
Dancing in the dtreet
Thriller
Billie Jean
The heat is on
Simply the best

I know some will look down on function bands but there is no better view from a stage as 300 people going for it on the dance floor and not wanting you to stop.

Good luck

Have a trawl through the "guarenteed floor fillers" thread from a while back
[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=8685&st=0&p=90010&#entry90010"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=...amp;#entry90010[/url]

There's loads of good women's songs from the last 50 years - Diana Ross to Duffy...

I will survive
Band of Gold (specially at weddings ;))

Dusty's
Son of a Preacher man
Breakfast in bed
I only wanna be with you

Pretenders/Chrissy Hynde stuff

Tina Turner's Songbook:
River deep
Proud mary
Simply the best
What's lourve got to do with it

Cher's songbook
Shoop-shoop song
Gypsy's tramps and thieves

Kylie's greatest 'its
Can't get you out of my head/Blue monday mash up
Locomotion

Lulu's
Shout
Man who sold the world

Eurythmics/Tourists/Annie Lennox songbook

Hits by
Duffy
Amy Winehouse
Lilly Allen

Then have a look through the set lists of our fellow BC members who are doing big bucks gigs like
Crez5150 [url="http://www.5catfish.com/themusic/"]http://www.5catfish.com/themusic/[/url]
Crazy kiwi, etc...

That should give you loads to work on.

OG

Good chat last night and the singers hubby is also happy to join ( brilliant singer ) so it opens all sorts of opportunities for songs like Paradise by the Dashboard Light etc as they are excellent as individuals but awesome when they sing together.

Now need to find a guitarist willing and able to play a wide repertoire as I think our current drummer will be happy to come on board.