Why become a member? ×

5 hours ago, EBS_freak said:

I wouldn't say IEMs are exclusively PA but I'm not really bothered where it sits.

After much consideration.... screw it. IEMs should have it's own place on the forum :P :P :P

Edited by EBS_freak
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

Had a through the for a Heath Robinson method for cheaper stereo IEM using the Aviom kit I think our sound guy still has, but would it work / be worth the effort.

- Aviom submixer stereo out into a splitter  

- two Xvive U4 transmitters running different channels

- two Xvive U4 receivers into a stereo y cable

- y cable into Behringer P2

I suppose it should work but there’s a lot of potential breaks in the chain

Edit: probably easier and cheaper to use a Sennheiser XSW 🤦‍♂️

Edited by WalMan
  • Like 1

Probably been asked on the thread somewhere - but are any of you guys using shirt clips to secure your IEMs?

I'm quite an active performer and run the cable under my shirt to wireless belt pack. The cable hangs loose other than that. The weight of my guitar strap somewhat secures it in place under my shirt - but I see some guys clipping the cable to the rear collar of their shirt/tee etc.

I guess it would help prevent tug on the cable and subsequent loosening of the phones.

Any suggestions? Pros/cons?

Edited by acidbass
  • Like 1

Down to what’s comfortable with you. Remember to move your head to the extremities after you’ve clipped onto your shirt to make sure the cable doesn’t go tight and pull your inears out of your ears.

that’s it really - it’s personal preference. Some people like the clips especially if they are running very long IEM cables. Helps keep things in place.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, EBS_freak said:

Down to what’s comfortable with you. Remember to move your head to the extremities after you’ve clipped onto your shirt to make sure the cable doesn’t go tight and pull your inears out of your ears.

that’s it really - it’s personal preference. Some people like the clips especially if they are running very long IEM cables. Helps keep things in place.

Yes I am looking at some options now.  I see 64 Audio make a useful looking clip.  I might order a bunch of different designs and see which one works best.  Definitely think avoiding tug on the cable would make for a more secure fit throughout the gig.

• Like 1

On 02/08/2023 at 14:15, SimBass said:

When my Shure 425s broke about 6 months ago I went on my own 'exploration' of cheap IEM. Here are my 'reviews' from using as IEM (not recreational music listening).

KZ ZS10 Pro X: (4BA+1DD) (£30 Aliexpress) A big improvement over my 425s but an 'intolerable to my ears' harshness at 8kHz. My wife loves them for vocals but I can't use them for long periods

TINHIFI T3 Pro: (1DD) (£52 Aliexpress) Better and flatter than the ZS10 and the Shures but not quite the clarity of sound stage from the multi driver units.

KZ AS16 Pro: (8BA) (£40 Aliexpress) These are my go to, all the clarity of the ZS10 but without the 'V shape' or '8kHz harsh' (only down side is they are big) - the fact that 'https://crinacle.com/rankings/iems/' gives these the same 'V-shape harshness' description as ZS10, is frankly bonkers (unless the 'Pro' really makes that much difference?) They are drastically different and are way flatter

My conclusion
KZ AS16 Pro are my go to and my recommendation, the only down side is thate are big and bulky and less comfy than Shures or T3 Pro. I love these and they have changed the way I do on stage monitoring

TINHIFI T3 Pro are my permanant backup in my gig bag and I occasionally put them in if I know have a long day of IEM since they are just so comfy

KZ ZS10 Pro: Personally I would pay the extra for something with less harshness (although I'm more sensitive to that than some since my wife loves these for singing)

I'm really happy with the AS16 and now have no 'itch' for custom moulds, even though I know they may well be better I can't justify the enormous increase in cost over the £40 ones that I now love

Thanks very much for this - I'm looking to get something that is a step up from my KZ ZS10 Pros, which I agree are a little harsh having gigged with then regularly for 6 months or so. So I will be putting the KS AS16 Pro on the shortlist.

I've maybe a budget of up to £150 - grateful for those of you who have previously upgraded from the KZ ZS10 Pros to share where you ended up? @dave_bass5 where have you landed with your own research into these?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Al Krow said:

Thanks very much for this - I'm looking to get something that is a step up from my KZ ZS10 Pros, which I agree are a little harsh having gigged with then regularly for 6 months or so. So I will be putting the KS AS16 Pro on the shortlist.

I've maybe a budget of up to £150 - grateful for those of you who have previously upgraded from the KZ ZS10 Pros to share where you ended up? @dave_bass5 where have you landed with your own research into these?

Ive landed on the Sen IE400 Pro and have no GAS for anything else. Two of the band use IE100 Pro’s (Dawn switched to these from the KZ’s )and if i was to lose my IE400 id just buy the IE100 again. For me the fit and comfort is very slightly better on the IE100, its just a slightly different shape, but the IE400 has a bit more depth and wider soundstage, which is better for me as i monitor in stereo, but probably a non issue for those using a mono mix. Id say the sound is quite close to my old AT M50x headphones. 

I use them all the time at home now. I wouldn't say they sound better than my headphones, but it keeps the sound consistent between home/rehearsal/gigs and they are much less taxing on the ears in this hotly weather. 

It’s been a 3 year struggle to find IEM’s that don’t need any attention during playing. Nothing ive tried before would stay put after a while. These are the first that ive found that fit and not feel like they are coming out. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 17/09/2023 at 11:25, dave_bass5 said:

Id say the sound is quite close to my old AT M50x headphones. 

I use them all the time at home now. I wouldn't say they sound better than my headphones, but it keeps the sound consistent between home/rehearsal/gigs and they are much less taxing on the ears in this hotly weather. 

That is most useful. I’ve recently acquired a set of M50x headphones and I love the tone profile of them. Neutral with a slight low end lift and proper bass extension. 

As such, a set of iems with a similar profile is exactly what I’m looking for. So the IE400 are on my list, although the cost is slightly out of my reach. I’ll keep an in eye out for sales!

Audio Technical made a set of iems called the ATH-IM50 that were allegedly were designed to have the same profile as the M50x headphones. However, I can’t seem to find them for sale anywhere. If they’ve been superseded I don’t know by which model. I’m would assume it’s the ATH-E50, but I can’t find anything about their tone profile compared to the M50x, and they use a different driver setup to the IM50 (single BA vs dual DD)

Edited by Greg Edwards69
  • Like 1

AliExpress seem to have a deal on at the moment offering the Sennheiser IE300 for around £40. Feels more than a little too good to be true, but at that price worth a punt. I'll maybe see if I can meet up with @dave_bass5 to A/B these against his IE100 and IE400 to see if they are even remotely the genuine article! 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

AliExpress seem to have a deal on at the moment offering the Sennheiser IE300 for around £40. Feels more than a little too good to be true, but at that price worth a punt. I'll maybe see if I can meet up with @dave_bass5 to A/B these against his IE100 and IE400 to see if they are even remotely the genuine article! 

I'd be more than a little sceptical about that. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

There are YouTube comparisons between those 3. The IE300 is a bit different to the other two I believe

7 minutes ago, jimmyb625 said:

I'd be more than a little sceptical about that. 

Totally not the real deal IMO. 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

Well I guess if they're pants they can serve as a spare set for our guitar deps 😅

Well i suppose even if they are fakes they might still do the job. Worth a go if you are looking at changing. I believe the IE300’s are more for audiophiles and general music listening as opposed to the 100/400/500 being more for live music, but if the fit and sound works then its a win win. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Greg Edwards69 said:

That is most useful. I’ve recently acquired a set of M50x headphones and I love the tone profile of them. Neutral with a slight low end lift and proper bass extension. 

As such, a set of iems with a similar profile is exactly what I’m looking for. So the IE400 are on my list, although the cost is slightly out of my reach. I’ll keep an in eye out for sales!

Audio Technical made a set of iems called the ATH-IM50 that were allegedly were designed to have the same profile as the M50x headphones. However, I can’t seem to find them for sale anywhere. If they’ve been superseded I don’t know by which model. I’m would assume it’s the ATH-E50, but I can’t find anything about their tone profile compared to the M50x, and they use a different driver setup to the IM50 (single BA vs dual DD)

I stopped using my M50x’s when i got the  DT 700 Pro X, but up to that time i loved the AT’s. The bass extension isnt as full in the IE400’s but the overall tone reminds me more of the M50x than anything else ive tried. 

To be honest the IE 100 (£79) would have been fine for me, but, well GAS is GAS and i had to at least try the next model up, and although i dont think the price difference is on par with the sonic difference, i have no regrets getting the 400’s and really do love them. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone ever successfully replaced a memory wire on an earphone? The one on my left JH Roxanne has broken inside the sleeve. Slightly annoying as now the earpiece isn't quite fixed in place. I don't really fancy paying £200 for a new cable just to replace the memory wire so hoping there is an alternative solution.

• Like 1

On 18/09/2023 at 18:38, dave_bass5 said:

Well i suppose even if they are fakes they might still do the job. Worth a go if you are looking at changing. I believe the IE300’s are more for audiophiles and general music listening as opposed to the 100/400/500 being more for live music, but if the fit and sound works then its a win win. 

Well my £40 'Sennheiser' IE300s arrived and they work, so that was a good start. And the box came "fully laden" with all the gubbins you might expect of the real thing including a choice of silicone and memory foam tips

Actually a better over ear fit than the KS ZS10 Pros 

Don't seem to have quite the same volume of the ZS10 Pros which is minus, but a slightly less boomy bottom end which is a plus

I'll probably continue with the ZS10 Pros for live use for now. But these are a decent back up to have

Just wonder if Sennheiser would be able to confirm whether the units being sold from the Sennheiser Digital Store are genuine - I'm very tempted to ask them, be good to know either way. The price appears to have gone back up to around £95 (inc P&P) since I ordered mine.

• Like 2