Why become a member? ×

You’d be better off putting a mixer in front of your headphone amp to sum first.

You could then use the headphone out on that mixer (and use a passive vol belt pack to have an easy to reach vol control) - or use the line output to go into a powered headphone belt pack.

• Like 1

On 18/11/2022 at 10:54, Al Krow said:

This seems to be a great way forward at the budget end i.e. KZ ZS10Pros + upgrade tips/sleeves. 

Be really interested to get your recommendations for "off the shelf" tips/sleeves (short of getting bespoke moulded ones)?

so on friday and saturday I tried the comply tips. Better than the silicon but I didn't think to squeeze them first (I used to use earplaugs on my motorbike and always squeezed them)so they weren't perfect. I will try again

BUT I have a sodding ear infection now. It's really quite unconfortable. can't sleepon that side as it's so painful. Will phone the Dr this morning

i had a couple of isues Friday nght with the lead falling out of the P2. (I trod on it a couple of times) Sorted on Saturday by looping the lead round my belt first.

I do stand by 'it's a game changer though' ATM I just hook straight to the headphone out on the desk. It gives me the FOH mix (backing tracks/keys/guitar/vocals) which works on all levels for me. I can hear perfectly where ny voice sits in the mix. My keys partner wants the same mix, so I bought a stereo splitter. Stereo to two x stereo output splitter. Amazon rubbish. It was stereo to left and right mono but labelled as stereo t 2 x stereo splitter. Any ideas folks where to get what I need

• Like 1

Ive had the same thing happen with my P2, and did the same as you. I find the jack connection to be quite loose so got a G4M passive version, which only has a jack input. This feels a bit tighter, although I’ll still wrap the cable. It’s also a bit smaller and with no battery one less thing to worry about. 

I was looking through my drawers last night and found my old Roland ECM907 stereo mic. I’ll give that a try on Friday and see if that makes a difference. . 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, EBS_freak said:

As for jacks falling out... get something xlr based and it will lock in.

Only reason i use jack is because its stereo.

To be fair my P2 seems very loose, even by jack standards. Hoping with the passive version i can get to the jack inside and if it is loose, bend it in a bit. 

Edited by dave_bass5

6 minutes ago, EBS_freak said:

image.png.67cd688071cdb73815bb6a664a4a6917.pngimage.thumb.png.ca1705a79b7b548f2eee12e00565ef4b.png

Just incase anybody is thinking about how to terminate a XLR one end (so that they can use a single XLR with a stereo signal with a P2)

Thats good info Russ. I brought a couple of cables supposedly stereo TSR to stereo wired XLR, but only got mono using the P2. 

Do you have confirmation that the  XLR in is stereo?

9 minutes ago, dave_bass5 said:

Thats good info Russ. I brought a couple of cables supposedly stereo TSR to stereo wired XLR, but only got mono using the P2. 

Do you have confirmation that the  XLR in is stereo?

Have you switched the internal switch to stereo?

2 minutes ago, EBS_freak said:

That's odd. So whats your wiring look like when using XLR?

It could well be the cheap cables i got off amazon. I tried two different ones. I tried plugging the TRS end in to the headphone out on my mixer at first, and then in to my keyboard’s headphones out both directly in to the P2, but it was only coming through in mono. I also had a G4M version at the time and that was doing the same thing. Sent the cable back and got another brand (probably just re branded). Same result.

It has bugged me that it never worked.

2 minutes ago, dave_bass5 said:

It could well be the cheap cables i got off amazon. I tried two different ones. I tried plugging the TRS end in to the headphone out on my mixer at first, and then in to my keyboard’s headphones out both directly in to the P2, but it was only coming through in mono. I also had a G4M version at the time and that was doing the same thing. Sent the cable back and got another brand (probably just re branded). Same result.

It has bugged me that it never worked.

Dave send it to me and I will check it out. Send me a DM

• Like 1

I recently went the IEM route with a pair of 64 Audio A4s. We run a Yamaha TF5 desk, so I'm mixing my own stereo aux feed to taste via an Android tablet. After the first couple of gigs I realised I was getting a post-EQ bass feed back through the aux feed (after the FOH guy had sucked out some of my mids - boo!) so I now take a feed direct from my pedalboard into my own small Behringer mixer and mix that direct with the aux feed for my IEMs.

In general it's great and the stereo monitoring is fab, but I find I'm getting a touch of tinnitus after gigs which is not good. I've tried running the IEMs as low as possible and rolling some bottom end off, but I'm starting to think that directing bass directly into my ears for 2 hours just doesn't suit them. The IEMs are a good fit with the -20dB module fitted, but I am usually right next to the drummer. I get the same feeling / mild tinnitus after playing through headphones at home for extended periods at very reasonable levels.

Prior to this I was wearing flat-response earplugs with a wedge monitor cab. I'm thinking I might have to go back to this. Any other ideas?

10 minutes ago, Chienmortbb said:

Dave send it to me and I will check it out. Send me a DM

Thanks for the offer but i don’t really have a need to get it working now. 

I do remember one of those cables was a Roland cable, which i do still have, so maybe I’ll take that apart and we wire it. With that cable i remember i only got sound in the left ear when the P2 was set to stereo. 

Point of interest for anyone looking at custom IEM options...

On a whim I recently picked up a pair of Fearless Audio S8Pro IEMs on ebay. I'm blown away by how good they are! Embarrassingly, they leave my expensive customs in the dust. 

The ones I bought are universal fit but they are available as full custom units. 

The S8Pro It's an eight driver IEM. Fearless is a Chinese brand which seems to be making waves in the "head-fi" world... because the quality is great and the price points are reasonable. 

Looks like you can get a custom pair for $549 USD. You defo won't get this quality for that price from a mainstream brand. Food for thought!

https://www.linsoul.com/products/fearlessaudio-s8freedon-s8pro?variant=42812671230169

44 minutes ago, Chienmortbb said:

Still a bit too far north for amateurs like myself. In the Primark music department, good deals at the moment on KZs https://kz-audio.com/

Ooh - handy - I seem to have lost my KZs and the replacements I have are not good.

Why are there so many models? Which KZ models are better for IEMs than the others?

Why so many models? Because they have figured out that places like head-fi.org are obsessive about such things. Price them cheap enough and they will sell loads (many models to an individual too) as people in that space are borderline obsessive about comparing and contrasting.

This advertising piece did make me smirk though -

image.thumb.png.71b5076675a16adfdcacc33df4ecc276.png

"shocking sound quality"

:P 

• Haha 2