Why become a member? ×

The fascinatin' 66 Slab-bodied P-bass

The Bass Doc

Will definitely be looking out for the book.

Given the interest in these basses I'm surprised Fender never did a re-issue.

You'd probably have to go down the Fender CS or Bravewood route now to get a new version of one.

One day perhaps......

• 8 months later...

I'd forgotten about these things! Never been a big P-bass fan although have previosuly owned two. Chandler Guitars did a slim, single bound slab-bodied version of this fella back in the mid '80s which fell into my hands but the neck was f'd so i didn't buy it. Didn't Ibanez do one, too, back in the late .70s?

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='387414' date='Jan 21 2009, 01:41 PM']Well, I'm looking forward to it, so that's one copy sold!

If you want to raise your eyebrows at a book with minority appeal, may I suggest this?

[/quote]
That is far from a minority interest book, dude.

I know we eat sh*t in this country and know bugger all about food, but there are many gardners out there who grow tomatoes and are looking for real flavour, rather than that watery tasteless rubbish they call Money Maker, which so many people seem to grow. SunGold and Marmande are two of my favourites. Sorry to go so off topic, Let's get back to discussing interesting turnip years.

Skank, you totally cracked me up there :)

[quote name='EssentialTension' post='623641' date='Oct 12 2009, 12:16 AM']Looks like Fender are doing a custom shop reissue of the '66 slab P:

[url="http://bass-guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product?sku=620948&CJAID=10451188&CJPID=3353204"]http://bass-guitars.musiciansfriend.com/pr...p;CJPID=3353204[/url]

Only $3779.99. :)[/quote]Hellloooo.
[url="http://bass-guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product?sku=581326"]http://bass-guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product?sku=581326[/url]

[quote name='acidbass' post='391116' date='Jan 25 2009, 07:59 PM']Wow, that ex-Entwistle bass looks AMAZING! It could have been the only one out of 3 that he had that didn't have the extra tone control added. Where is it now?[/quote]

Is it only me that, undoubted rarity value aside, thinks it looks 'okay'?

:)

Fascinating tale and I'd love to hear more about your trip Stateside Doc.

Edited by GreeneKing

Well, it's a bit old, a bit worn, and a bit scratched.

If the absolutely identical bass had Cort written on the headstock and was 5 yrs old it'd not fetch a comment in a month of Sundays :)

I accept the interesting storyline behind these basses and without a doubt I love the tone of my P but reality vs fantasy?

That's just me though, you lot can swoon away - hehe

[quote name='GreeneKing' post='625238' date='Oct 13 2009, 05:11 PM']Well, it's a bit old, a bit worn, and a bit scratched.

If the absolutely identical bass had Cort written on the headstock and was 5 yrs old it'd not fetch a comment in a month of Sundays :)

I accept the interesting storyline behind these basses and without a doubt I love the tone of my P but reality vs fantasy?

That's just me though, you lot can swoon away - hehe[/quote]
I agree. It's not about the looks at all. It is about the history.

[quote name='headofire' post='623995' date='Oct 12 2009, 02:14 PM']that you howard? i recognised you in the picture... ha ha
its graeme ross how are you?[/quote]

Hi Graeme,

I've just checked the picture again and yes it's me.

I've just come out of hospital after an operation for prostrate cancer and I'm feeling not too bad - hope to gig on Saturday but may have to play sitting down.

Howard.

Edited by The Bass Doc

[quote name='EssentialTension' post='625383' date='Oct 13 2009, 07:29 PM']Ace Kefford plays a 66 slab P with the Move - and sings and dances pretty well too:

[/quote]

One of my favourite Youtube videos. What an excellent bassist and band!

[quote name='The Bass Doc' post='625875' date='Oct 14 2009, 12:01 PM']Hi Graeme,

I've just come out of hospital after an operation for prostrate cancer and I'm feeling not too bad - hope to gig on Saturday but may have to play sitting down.

Howard.[/quote]
Hope you get well soon Doctor.

[quote name='The Bass Doc' post='625875' date='Oct 14 2009, 12:01 PM']Hi Graeme,

Howard.[/quote]
Get well soon Doc.

• 4 months later...