Why become a member? ×

Road Worn Jazz

fangio

So the recently acquired  (ex Karlfer) Road Worn Jazz has now been fully fettled and wearing a fresh set of La Bella flats... 

I'll spare you a full review as it would need to remain dairy free. - But you all know what a Jazz sounds like and this is a nice one..

Only thoughts are on the pick ups.

Neck is lovely - no issue

Bridge sounding a bit weedy to my ears - whacking the gain up on the amp sorts it out - but I don't really want to be doing that - the amp settings need to work for both pick ups..

So I'm inclined to swap it out for something a bit hotter - Tone etc all fine - I just want a bit more of it.

Kinda like the Lindy Fralin pick ups (been great on a Stratocaster in the past ).. But heard good things about the Fender Custom shop ones too and there's always Seymour Duncans and Dimarzios to consider.

If it is going to be a Fralin then theres the 5% or 10% overwound options to think about ..

Anyone any experience ?

1 hour ago, Woodinblack said:

How about doing it the other way round, you could put a resistor on the neck pickup to bring it down to the same level as the bridge pickup?

I'd not considered that, though I'm inclined to leave the neck pick up just as it is, and I'm not a fan of adding extra components, then I'd need to know which resistor etc.. So - an interesting idea, but beyond my technical thinking.

Flea bass pick ups worth investigating I think..

56 minutes ago, fangio said:

.....Flea bass pick ups worth investigating I think..

Hi there @fangio,
Yes, I'm a big fan of the Fender Roadworn series, and that Jazz in Fiesta Red looks lovely :)
I've fitted a KioGon Stacked control wiring loom to mine, and I must admit I like the added ability to tweak the tone of each pickup separately

Re the Flea Jazz pickups - having owned both, I must say, I really liked the pickups in the Flea.
That said, the Flea has a stacked control plate - which was what made me want to try that on my RW Jazz

Let us know what pickup(s) you opt for, and what your findings are

Having now messed about with blending the pick ups I'm not entirely sure it's going to be worth the trouble.

Nothing actually wrong with the tone off the bridge - but just not enough of it.. Might just see if I can lift that pick up a bit for a better balance..

It's just minor tweaking required I think 

• Like 1

I recently nabbed some NJ4 Nordstrands which are 60's wind and they sound good in a VM Jazz also the Aguilar 60's winds sound great from demo's I've heard but I've not played them in person.

I think of you're going for a trad 60's wind all the major players and and the smaller guys like Creamery etc will be pretty period correct in their sound it's just which one's you can try or how many you want to try. Like most of this stuff it can be a bit 'down the rabbit hole!

6 hours ago, fretmeister said:

Regular ones or one of the newer "X" models?

Standard Js.  They are one of the sets where both p/ups are the same (neck) size and where you don't get as many options.