Why become a member? ×

Good Enough Bass Player for Metallica?

WHUFC BASS

Anybody remember the Trujillo interview in a recent BGMag? He was describing his experiences in the interview process... it was fascinating to see it actually happening on the vid. I'm not a big fan of the band, but it's interesting to watch nonetheless.

[quote name='chris_b' post='381953' date='Jan 16 2009, 12:49 AM']At least you put "[i]my opinion[/i]" in this time.[/quote]
I'd have thought it was pretty obvious that what I was saying was just my opinion. It's not like I said "Darryl Jones says..." or "It's a fact that...".

[quote name='farmer61' post='382035' date='Jan 16 2009, 08:44 AM']Is it just me or does Lars Ulrich come across as a bit of a knob![/quote]
It's not just you. He's a massive c*nt. And a sh*t drummer. For absolute comedy gold, get hold of the St Anger DVD and marvel at him failing to keep up with the other guys in any of the songs.

Edited by Johnny Wishbone

[quote name='Buzz' post='381964' date='Jan 16 2009, 01:03 AM']As for Trujillo, good bass player, I loathe the tone he keeps using with Metallica from all the live videos I've seen, but I reckon he's a good thing for 'tallica, the band have been interviewed a number of times saying he's had a fair bit of creative input on Death Magnetic, hopefully he continues to do so, you never know, they might have one or two corkers left in them with help from Trujillo.[/quote]

I love the tone that Trujillo gets, I'm striving to get that valve type overdriven growl for my recordings... oh well no accounting for taste!

Oh and Lars Ulrich is a complete tosser. How James Hetfield hasn't drop-kicked him into oblivion by now is a complete mystery. If that was me, I'd have spanked him so hard his grandchildren would have felt it.

[quote name='WHUFC BASS' post='382064' date='Jan 16 2009, 09:30 AM']I love the tone that Trujillo gets, I'm striving to get that valve type overdriven growl for my recordings... oh well no accounting for taste!

Oh and Lars Ulrich is a complete tosser. How James Hetfield hasn't drop-kicked him into oblivion by now is a complete mystery. If that was me, I'd have spanked him so hard his grandchildren would have felt it.[/quote]

Probably because technically the name Metallica is Ulrich's.

[quote name='farmer61' post='382035' date='Jan 16 2009, 08:44 AM']Is it just me or does Lars Ulrich come across as a bit of a knob![/quote]

And according to my lovely wife - he sounds like Elmer Fudd!

Also - on the subject of Trujillo - check this out ......

[url="http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=K6kiVhWEgUY"]http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=K6kiVhWEgUY[/url]

I love the bit 45 seconds in - Kirk walks in ... "dude, your gigs in jeapordy....."

Trujillo is just a great musician - and I think it will be interesting to see if he manages to get between Hetfield and Ulrich - who have always been the driving force and controlling influence in the band (after Cliff Burton's death). Poor old Jason was just a hired hand, and did a tough job really well, and I actually think they could carry on without Kirk too, but Lars and james go back a loooong way, and I could see Ulrich spitting the dummy if Hetfield gets too pally with Trujillo and starts listening to him and his ideas.

Fascinating to watch how it plays out .... and my wonderful wife bought me tickets for the Feb gig in Manchester too, as a Christmas gift. Can't wait.

A

I just watched Some Kind Of Monster today. I've never been a Metallica fan but it was interesting stuff.

Trujillo is a great bass player in my book and from a performance standpoint, the way he moves and plays seems to inject a bit more of the meat back into the band. Too good for Metallica? Quite possibly.

I've always thought that Lars was a cock; but to be honest, I kinda saw where he was coming from a lot of time in that film. Still...

Anyway the most interesting bit for me was the interview between him and Dave Mustane. Now Megadeth I quite liked so it was a bit weird to hear him going on like it was all a big mistake and he wished he could go back and undo things.

[quote name='Johnny Wishbone' post='382037' date='Jan 16 2009, 08:49 AM']It's not just you. He's a massive c*nt. And a sh*t drummer. For absolute comedy gold, get hold of the St Anger DVD and marvel at him failing to keep up with the other guys in any of the songs.[/quote]
I see people call him a sh!t and/or lazy drummer all the time, and I don't get it.
Where is his playing [i]that[/i] bad?
He's on some of the fastest and heaviest records & songs of all time and IMO sounds pretty damn good!

JTB

the best part of that dvd was when it finished.

I never looked at metallica the same again. so cringe worthy!

i guess when your a kid and your watching a film about your childhood heroes and find out they are just "real/normal" people that are making a bit of money, lets you down abit.

love the guy though, great player. Infectious grooves win.

Edited by agoulding

[quote name='agoulding' post='384215' date='Jan 18 2009, 08:12 PM']the best part of that dvd was when i finished.

I never looked at metallica the same again. so cringe worthy!

i guess when your a kid and your watching a film about your childhood heroes and find out they are just "real/normal" people that are making a bit of money, lets you down abit.

love the guy though, great player. Infectious grooves win.[/quote]

Were you 'a kid', when you watched SKOM, Agoulding? ;)

But, the thing, I don't get - what are they supposed to be then, rather than 'everyday normal' guys?
For me, documentaries like this simply shows the real side of things, SKOM is not an exeption, and, though 'Tallica were always heroes for me, it didn't force me to abandon them.

BTW, watch [url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5PsnxDQvQpw"]this[/url], you'll get my mind about 'everyday normal' guy :P

totaslly missing my point but yeah. I always thought they were robots producing music that went straight to cd and have been doing so for hundreds of years.

I was 13 when i watched this film in the cinema. I loved metallicas music and i was shocked to see every aspect behind it because i hadn't up untill this film. I was in total dreamland at that age...

I still think metallica are awesome and its obvious i dont have the same thoughts now lol.

i admit my post sounded retarded. Ive had too much john smiths today

[quote name='agoulding' post='384459' date='Jan 18 2009, 10:36 PM']totaslly missing my point but yeah. I always thought they were robots producing music that went straight to cd and have been doing so for hundreds of years.[/quote]

Metallica are controlled by Robots, but the worst one has a crappy beard and looks like a tramp. Cliff Bernstein. He is such a tool, he praises any little thing they cough up and basically has turned them into a bunch of 40+ Man-Boys, and by that I mean they don't seem to feel the need to try hard to impress him or anyone. This stems from when Lars is showing his Dad an utter piece of crap song which he describes as "A man shouting in an Echo Chamber" and that it won't cut it, and Lars then says "Cliff Bernstein thinks that should open the record".

Another example is on the Death Magnetic DVD when they are discussing names throughout, he is seemingly blown away by very childish and tame song titles, to in which Lars and James seem extactic. Many people blame Bob for Metallica's gradual departure from Metal, he is accountable but really he was just merely pushing the buttons when the guys wanted to record. I blame Berstein.

[quote]I was 13 when i watched this film in the cinema. I loved metallicas music and i was shocked to see every aspect behind it because i hadn't up untill this film. I was in total dreamland at that age...

I still think metallica are awesome and its obvious i dont have the same thoughts now lol.[/quote]

That's odd, I thought you were older ;).

I love Metallica, but really the best evidence of them being themselves is on the Seattle 89 show. The best document of the "Real" Metallica.

Edited by Josh