Why become a member? ×

Good Enough Bass Player for Metallica?

WHUFC BASS

[quote name='The Funk' post='381141' date='Jan 15 2009, 01:18 PM']Haha, I remember seeing this on TV and thinking Trujillo was about 1000 times better than the others - even though some of those guys are pretty damn good![/quote]

It's a bit of a shame about Trujillo.

I used to love his stuff in suicidal tendencies and infectious grooves (he's one of the most under-rated slap and poppers out there), and loved pretty much all of his lines. He's an amazing bass player.

Then he joined Metallica.

What he does is perfect for them. It's straight rock/metal, and there is no room for anything "fancy". He does his job, and he does it well.

But sometimes, I feel he's a little wasted.

One of my fav lines of his:

[url="http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=sKLMCbpdexE"]Violent and funky[/url]

Edited by Dmanlamius

I know this vid (SKOM) to death, but there's one thing, that I don't get even till now..

Well, maybe that's the same track, that they've put on video, but, give a deeper listen during For Whom the Bell Tolls - probably all bassists except Trujillo seem out of tune, when playing that intro step-out, don't they?..

And, another thing - to answer the question, why Robert seemed so relaxed and unstrained compared to others - night before his take in audition, they've been drinking with Lars and whole crew, and he slept for only few hours. Then, in the morning - audition.

Robert later pointed, that he was so buzzed and tired in the morning, that he didn't feel any 'tension', when playing with Metallica itself, that's why he got his first shot good and looked chilled (it is he, who said it).
To add more, he knew only a few songs, from mind btw, those were Battery and Hit The Lights.

[quote name='Dmanlamius' post='381171' date='Jan 15 2009, 12:37 PM']It's a bit of a shame about Trujillo.

I used to love his stuff in suicidal tendencies and infectious grooves (he's one of the most under-rated slap and poppers out there), and loved pretty much all of his lines. He's an amazing bass player.

Then he joined Metallica.

What he does is perfect for them. It's straight rock/metal, and there is no room for anything "fancy". He does his job, and he does it well.

But sometimes, I feel he's a little wasted.

One of my fav lines of his:

[url="http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=sKLMCbpdexE"]Violent and funky[/url][/quote]

This is pretty much how I feel. The eponymous Infectious Grooves album is one of the most imaginative and effective rock album that's come out in the last 20 years and one of the key factors in it's success was Trujillo's bass playing. Metallica is technically and creatively below his abilities, but, as I've said in another thread, he's getting paid a shedload to tour the world and play in front of massive audiences - he's probably got the best bass-playing gig in heavy music. More power to him.

[quote name='geilerbass' post='381270' date='Jan 15 2009, 01:42 PM']Metallica is technically and creatively below his [Trujillo's] abilities[/quote]+1, and the same goes for Darryl Jones with the Stones... that bunch of overhyped superannuated pub-rockers don't deserve a bassist of his calibre.

[quote name='Dmanlamius' post='381171' date='Jan 15 2009, 12:37 PM']One of my fav lines of his:

[url="http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=sKLMCbpdexE"]Violent and funky[/url][/quote]

I've never heard that song before, but is it just me or is his timing all over the shop? I'd have taken a more laid back approach to that line I think, but then again, I'm not a world famous bass player for a reason I suppose ;)

[quote name='Rich' post='381337' date='Jan 15 2009, 02:41 PM']....Darryl Jones with the Stones... that bunch of overhyped superannuated pub-rockers don't deserve a bassist of his calibre....[/quote]
Darryl Jones doesn't agree with you!
You can run the Stones down as much as you want, but, as they have pulled in a multi million, world wide audience on tour after tour for over 40 years, makes your description sound a bit like sour grapes, doesn't it!!

[quote name='acidbass' post='381346' date='Jan 15 2009, 03:45 PM']I've never heard that song before, but is it just me or is his timing all over the shop? I'd have taken a more laid back approach to that line I think, but then again, I'm not a world famous bass player for a reason I suppose ;)[/quote]

I think it's just you...

:P

[quote name='geilerbass' post='381270' date='Jan 15 2009, 02:42 PM']This is pretty much how I feel. The eponymous Infectious Grooves album is one of the most imaginative and effective rock album that's come out in the last 20 years and one of the key factors in it's success was Trujillo's bass playing. Metallica is technically and creatively below his abilities, but, as I've said in another thread, he's getting paid a shedload to tour the world and play in front of massive audiences - he's probably got the best bass-playing gig in heavy music. More power to him.[/quote]

Yea, agree 100%, geiler...;)

[quote name='acidbass' post='381346' date='Jan 15 2009, 02:45 PM']I've never heard that song before, but is it just me or is his timing all over the shop?[/quote]

Sounds like that to me too, on the intro, I didn't listen beyond that.

I didn't know Eric Avery tried out for Metallica. That's certainly... coloured my opinion of him somewhat.

[quote name='chris_b' post='381427' date='Jan 15 2009, 04:01 PM']Darryl Jones doesn't agree with you!
You can run the Stones down as much as you want, but, as they have pulled in a multi million, world wide audience on tour after tour for over 40 years, makes your description sound a bit like sour grapes, doesn't it!![/quote]
Sour grapes? Not a bit of it. My opinion of the Stones doesn't stem from envy at all... it stems from the fact that I think they and their music are utter crap. ;)

[quote name='Rich' post='381908' date='Jan 15 2009, 11:37 PM']Sour grapes? Not a bit of it. My opinion of the Stones doesn't stem from envy at all... it stems from the fact that I think they and their music are utter crap. ;)[/quote]

TBH I think after bands make a successful record they should be given 10 years (15 max) before their music-making privileges are revoked forever.

We'd be rid of U2 and Elton John and all sorts of tripe with a simple rule like that.

[quote name='thisnameistaken' post='381951' date='Jan 16 2009, 12:43 AM']TBH I think after bands make a successful record they should be given 10 years (15 max) before their music-making privileges are revoked forever.
We'd be rid of U2 and Elton John and all sorts of tripe with a simple rule like that.[/quote]
We'd also be rid of all Punk and most Metallica!!

[quote name='Rich' post='381908' date='Jan 15 2009, 11:37 PM']....Sour grapes? Not a bit of it. My opinion of the Stones doesn't stem from envy at all... it stems from the fact that I think they and their music are utter crap....[/quote]
At least you put "[i]my opinion[/i]" in this time.

[quote name='chris_b' post='381427' date='Jan 15 2009, 04:01 PM']Darryl Jones doesn't agree with you!
You can run the Stones down as much as you want, but, as they have pulled in a multi million, world wide audience on tour after tour for over 40 years, makes your description sound a bit like sour grapes, doesn't it!![/quote]

Crowd pulling power is no guarantee of goodness, look at Adolf ?

[quote name='Prosebass' post='381959' date='Jan 16 2009, 12:54 AM']Crowd pulling power is no guarantee of goodness, look at Adolf ?[/quote]

Bad choice of comparison as Adolf was very good at what he did, however what he did was [b]very very bad[/b].

The Stones do have some good songs imo, I wouldn't mind watching them live.

As for Trujillo, good bass player, I loathe the tone he keeps using with Metallica from all the live videos I've seen, but I reckon he's a good thing for 'tallica, the band have been interviewed a number of times saying he's had a fair bit of creative input on Death Magnetic, hopefully he continues to do so, you never know, they might have one or two corkers left in them with help from Trujillo.