Why become a member? ×

New GK Fusion S heads

Al Krow

1 hour ago, Skinnyman said:

Ooh, harsh. 

True, sadly - but still harsh. 
(*sniff* fort you was my friend an’ then you come out wiv somefink hurtful like that.....*sniff*)

:on_the_quiet:

I'm only toying with you, Mildred. :P

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, nige1968 said:

Apparently not. Seems you need a 2ohm load to get the full 450w on the new models

Not quite 😁

Peak power is at 2.67.

You get more power for each 8ohm cab you add so 150w for one cab, 300w for two and 450w for three (2.67 ohm). Add a fourth and drop the impedance to 2ohm and the wattage drops back to 300w so I’m guessing they handle the low impedance by throttling the power back. 

The 800 amp is a lot simpler - 400w at 8ohms and the full 800w at 4, 2.67 and 2. 

But this is exactly why I chose the 500. The power climbs as I add cabinets so I can take one to rehearsal, use two if I need it for regular gigs and have the option of adding a third if I need it for bigger venues. 

The 2 ohm capability is nice and allows me to safely mix 110 and 210 cabs as I need to. 

• 5 months later...
3 minutes ago, fretmeister said:

Anyone apart from Skinnyman got one of these now?

I keep finding myself using the GK800 model on my Helix so I'm thinking more about a GK amp.

I have the 500 Fusion S.  It is superb. I've actually bought a used Bassman 100T which is my favourite but the GK is very good, just different. I thought about selling it but I think I'd regret it.  The EQ is really good and the drive channel is pretty versatile.  Lots of knobs and options so it's probably not one for those who don't like twiddling....

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 03/09/2020 at 10:36, fretmeister said:

I'll have to keep an eye out for a used one. Need to sell my stingray first otherwise the wife will kill me! :D 

You still keeping an eye out for one of these? Me too - if this is potentially a lightweight hybrid that can deliver something close tonally to my Mesa M6, it could be just what the doctor ordered!

Thinking I'm going to want the 800 (or 1200) though, as it will be good to have the headroom of 400W at 8ohms.

1 minute ago, Al Krow said:

Thinking I'm going to want the 800 (or 1200) though, as it will be good to have the headroom of 400W at 8ohms.

What gigs do you use that much power at, and why so much headroom on an amp that is designed to break up and be pushed? 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, dave_bass5 said:

What gigs do you use that much power at, and why so much headroom on an amp that is designed to break up and be pushed? 

300W at 8ohm min for me as a rule of thumb. Anything less and I find I'm needing to push my amp with a full rock band, whereas if you have headroom to spare you're not needing to push your kit to the limit. Obviously folks mileage may vary on this.

And the S500 is only 180W at 8 ohms, I believe, so I would be going for the S800.

Not sure why you think it was particularly meant to be pushed as an amp as it's basically a class D head? It has a drive channel if you want a tubey dirt (and why wouldn't you?!), but I don't think you need to be pushing it to get a drive tone from it.

• Like 1

Just now, Al Krow said:

Not sure why you think it was particularly meant to be pushed as an amp as it's basically a class D head? It has a drive channel if you want a tubey dirt (and why wouldn't you?!), but I don't think you need to be pushing it to get a drive tone from it.

Why do you want a head with a tube in it? 

16 hours ago, dave_bass5 said:

Why do you want a head with a tube in it? 

Because my experience to date of hybrids is that they can sound great, based on my favourite amp ever being my Mesa M6, and partly down to the more complex harmonics and richer tone that valves can deliver.

Having valves in the preamp section of the amp, rather than in a pedal, potentially has the added advantage of the full 240v being available to put across them. Although I'm not totally clear on whether the higher voltage makes a difference - seems to be differing views on that one. 

Edited by Al Krow
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Al Krow said:

Because my experience to date of hybrids it that they can sound great, based on my favourite amp ever being my Mesa M6, down to more complex harmonics / richer tone that valves can deliver. And with the added advantage of the full 240v being available to put across them. 

Mesa is a great amp, if it’s your fave why not use that?

Things like Gator soft rack cases which have wheels make it a breeze to transport

16 hours ago, Al Krow said:

300W at 8ohm min for me as a rule of thumb. Anything less and I find I'm needing to push my amp with a full rock band, whereas if you have headroom to spare you're not needing to push your kit to the limit. Obviously folks mileage may vary on this.

And the S500 is only 180W at 8 ohms, I believe, so I would be going for the S800.

What cab would you be using because at 8ohms with a two speaker cab you’ll still get plenty of air moving. If the Fearless  is 4ohm that could likely handle such a head with ease!

Edited by krispn

17 minutes ago, krispn said:

What cab would you be using because at 8ohms with a two speaker cab you’ll still get plenty of air moving. If the Fearless  is 4ohm that could likely handle such a head with ease!

I was rehearsing just before the first lock down with a GK MB200 and my CN212, and never maxed the head out with the band. Admittedly its not quite a gig situation, although i do tend to run my rigs at the same volume as most gigs (due to the drummer always playing as hard as he can). When i had my GK Legacy 800 i could tell it had a lot more punch than my MB800, so these are very loud amps.

Both my Fearless F112 and BB2 are 8 ohms, but I only ever use one at a gig (wouldn't have space to take both even if I wanted to!). But getting an amp that can pump out 300W at 8 ohms isn't going to be limiting - all of my gigging amps have been able to do that with ease and there are plenty in the market that can deliver, including the S800. 

Edited by Al Krow

The 4 ohm CN212 is significantly louder than my individual 112s Dave. Both cos its 2 x 12 and also because it's 4 ohm rather than 8ohm. It's an outstanding cab! And you're mad for selling it. You won't not be a bass player forever... 

7 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

Both my Fearless F112 and BB2 are 8 ohms, but I only ever use one at a gig (wouldn't have space to take both even if I wanted to!). But getting an amp that can pump out 300W at 8 ohms isn't going to be limiting - all of my gigging amps have been able to do that with ease and there are plenty in the market that can deliver, including the S800. 

The BB2 will be the gigging cab of choice?