Why become a member? ×

Jeff Beck at Ronnie Scotts

bass_ferret

[quote name='bass_ferret' post='378372' date='Jan 12 2009, 10:31 PM']Tal still looks about 12, maybe thats cos she looks like the cover of Blind Faith. How does she play with those tiny hands?[/quote]

Arrgghhh. Another one. You're the third person to say that in about 3 weeks (and the last 2 were women). Doesn't make me feel too good as I really fancy her! :blush:

Is that the gig they did last year, Ferret?

I've watched some of the numbers from that one & it looked like an amazing gig, especially the Imogen Heap number.

Yes, Tal does still look very young, but how good is she going to be when she's completed her "apprenticeship" with the likes of Jeff Beck, Chick Corea, etc? Scary stuff. She's an amazing player as it is.

Footnote: It's nice to talk about some great bass playing, which I believe is what we come here for, as opposed to blithering on about some irrelevant story about Prince Harry!

True. Harry's rubbish at getting those EBS rigs EQ'd, so I hear.
What impresses me is the ease and fun they all generate en bloc.
My "musical operancy" light was first switched on when listening to Blow By Blow as a 14 yr old: I was happily thudding my head to Cozy Powell, then all of a sudden had a PING in my chest whilst listening to Diamond Dust and just knew I needed a guitar to deal with it; Jeffers is the kiddy as regards guitar for me...AND I've got tickets to their Brum gig in June: YEAHBAYYYBYEAH!

I'm not a massive solo bass fan but this really grooves - [url="http://<object%20width="425"%20height="344"><param%20name="movie"%20value="http://www.youtube.com/v/wK03pYCLJho&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param%20name="allowFullScreen"%20value="true"></param><param%20name="allowscriptaccess"%20value="always"></param><embed%20src="http://www.youtube.com/v/wK03pYCLJho&hl=en&fs=1"%20type="application/x-shockwave-flash"%20allowscriptaccess="always"%20allowfullscreen="true"%20width="425"%20height="344"></embed></object>"]TAl[/url]
[url="http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=wK03pYCLJho"]Tal[/url]

Edited by crez5150

[quote name='bass_ferret' post='378372' date='Jan 12 2009, 10:31 PM']Tal still looks about 12, maybe thats cos she looks like the cover of Blind Faith. How does she play with those tiny hands?[/quote]

I know what you mean. When there are small hands involved, everything seems that much bigger, fretboard included. Maybe that's why "well hung" Jeff chose to play with her.

[quote name='YouMa' post='378524' date='Jan 13 2009, 12:33 AM']Tals cute but why i am never as impressed by her playing as everyone else,shes fantastic for her age but i just cant get the buzz.[/quote]

I'm with you on this. Having heard so much about Tal Wilkenfeld I came away from watching the program feeling decidedly dissapointed. Not by the the rest of it it, just the bass playing. Can't help but wonder that if she didn't look 12 and reasonably cute (although she doesn't do it for me in that way iether), then there wouldn't be anything like the buzz around her. I've seen many better bassists playing in less high profile positions, but then they are mostly old men (and some with beards as well).

[quote name='Clive Thorne' post='378744' date='Jan 13 2009, 10:58 AM']I'm with you on this. Having heard so much about Tal Wilkenfeld I came away from watching the program feeling decidedly dissapointed. Not by the the rest of it it, just the bass playing. Can't help but wonder that if she didn't look 12 and reasonably cute (although she doesn't do it for me in that way iether), then there wouldn't be anything like the buzz around her. I've seen many better bassists playing in less high profile positions, but then they are mostly old men (and some with beards as well).[/quote]

+1.

But hey. Go with it.

I watched this when it was on TV a while back - and it did open my eyes to Beck's playing quite alot as I'm another one who normally associates him with Hi Ho Silver Lining!

Back to Tal though - am I the only one who found the constantly smug look on her face annoying? ;)

peace

c

Ditto. I am a Beck vigin, which is a surprise really considering my age and musical influences over the years. I thought he was amazing. Ive never seen so much feel in a player. Not overawed by the bass player. All that great gear didn't sound very clever IMO. I came to the conclusion that the dirty old sod must be shagging her. :brow:

[quote name='Mr Fudge' post='378789' date='Jan 13 2009, 11:31 AM']Ditto. I am a Beck vigin, which is a surprise really considering my age and musical influences over the years. I thought he was amazing. Ive never seen so much feel in a player. Not overawed by the bass player. All that great gear didn't sound very clever IMO. I came to the conclusion that the dirty old sod must be shagging her. :brow:[/quote]
Dirty lucky old sod ;)

Enjoyed the music, but I didn't think Tal's Marcus-like tone sat particularly well with it. I was neither over- nor under-whelmed with her playing... she did the job, fair enough, but nothing remarkable.
There wouldn't be half so much hype surrounding her if she was either a} male, or b} a munter.

[quote name='3V17C' post='378780' date='Jan 13 2009, 11:27 AM']I watched this when it was on TV a while back - and it did open my eyes to Beck's playing quite alot as I'm another one who normally associates him with Hi Ho Silver Lining!

Back to Tal though - am I the only one who found the constantly smug look on her face annoying? ;)

peace

c[/quote]

Is this available to watch anywhere still??

Not sure if Jeff has actually played with any 'sh*t hot' bass players ? I know he's always had top class drummers. 'Guitar shop' is one of my favourite Beck albums and only has Guitar Key's and Drums...Still an unparalleled guitarist in my opinion.

Got me tickets for the Mcr Apollo gig in June...yay ^_^

Edited by drumbloke

[quote name='Mr Fudge' post='378789' date='Jan 13 2009, 11:31 AM']Ditto. I am a Beck vigin, which is a surprise really considering my age and musical influences over the years. I thought he was amazing. Ive never seen so much feel in a player. Not overawed by the bass player. All that great gear didn't sound very clever IMO. I came to the conclusion that the dirty old sod must be shagging her. :brow:[/quote]
Allegedly... you might need to look at the drum chair for that. And then marvel how Ms Wilkenfeld seems to crop up at a lot of gigs where Vinnie is playing :-)

[quote name='drumbloke' post='379200' date='Jan 13 2009, 03:40 PM']Not sure if Jeff has actually played with any 'sh*t hot' bass players ? I know he's always had top class drummers. 'Guitar shop' is one of my favourite Beck albums and only has Guitar Key's and Drums...Still an unparalleled guitarist in my opinion.

Got me tickets for the Mcr Apollo gig in June...yay ^_^[/quote]

i think Pino comes under the SH*T HOT category?