Why become a member? ×

Ashdown Visit

Sibob

Well done Ashdown! Sounds simliar ot the experience I had with Trace Elliot back when I was a spotty 16yr old and had a weird issue with my amp and compressor pedal. Good service is so easy to do it's nice to hear of companies actually going above and beyond ;)

I've got three bits of Ashdown gear - all MAG - a 1x15, a 4x10 and an old red-face 2x10 combo; the combo (which is a bit tatty) and the 1x15, have been part of every jam and gig I've done in the last ten+ years; the 1x15 (along with the new 4x10) continues to see use as part of my new(er) setup. In this time, Ashdown have provided a few odds and sods (knobs etc.) free of charge/postage paid. they've answered a few queries and have been courteous each time. Customer service is alive and well at Ashdown.

I just don't I don't understand why people knock their gear. I suppose because some of their range is [i]affordable[/i], and to some that to some this equates to it being rubbish. My preferred sound is, ummm, gritty; a bit Geddy/JJB and I don't see any of the toneless, wooliness or wump qualities which people put forward tend to be the main argument against Ashdown.

They're robust, portable (ooh, my back) and certainly capable enough for any application; I've also run guitar, vocals, drum machines and keyboards through the combo and used it for stage monitoring as well.

P

I have spoken to Mark direct as he also owns a Lotus car like me. He races his which I can't afford to do . I dealt with him direct when getting my Ashdown gear. He's a great guy and very enthusiastic. I'll drop him an email and let him know about the great service and good reports.

As for my Ashdown, I love it and so far not had any problems and will be looking to get a 210 cab soon.

Edited by Linus27

I've got a MAG 115 combo - i can't fault it. It does everything i ask from it and it is as steady as a rock. I've heard a lot of complaints on harmony central about the 210 version, but i once played through one at a gig and it was great sounding. Ideally i'd upgrade it to some Ampeg / Mark Bass stuff but i don't have the beans! My Ashdown does me fine. Suppose it's each to their own and all that ;)

[quote name='photographymatt' post='377573' date='Jan 12 2009, 12:34 PM']linus, good excuse to mention you have a lotus hey?;-) hehe.lovely cars, which one?[/quote]

HEHE yeah, its the only way I know of Mark. He's a member of Lotus on Track who run Lotus specific trackdays which is what I do. They also have their own race series which is what Mark does and Ashdown sponsors the series. I have a British Racing Green Lotus Elise S1 and Mark did have a Lotus 340R which is based on an Elise. Not sure if he still has it though but it was black and gold I think and looked lush. As for the Elise, yeah, its a superb car. It's funny though as you get two reactions, either expensive sports car or unreliable sports car. To be honest, its neither. My Elise, has mini metro wing mirrors, a cheap £5 rear view mirror, Renault gearbox, Rover engine, Vauxhall indicator stalks and Peugeot dash buttons. It's cheaper for me to run an Elise than it was my Renault Megane on service, parts, tax and fuel. Its just not as practical ;)

Anyway, we should get this back onto topic and away from cheap plastic sports cars :P:):)

Edited by Linus27

I did notice a loada cars housed in plastic see-through type tents!! Maybe that was the Lotus' that you speak of lol

Anyway, heres a pic of the state my amp was in mid-repair lol

[url="http://imageshack.us"][/url]

Si

[quote name='Linus27' post='377588' date='Jan 12 2009, 12:45 PM']HEHE yeah, its the only way I know of Mark. He's a member of Lotus on Track who run Lotus specific trackdays which is what I do. They also have their own race series which is what Mark does and Ashdown sponsors the series. I have a British Racing Green Lotus Elise S1 and Mark did have a Lotus 340R which is based on an Elise. Not sure if he still has it though but it was black and gold I think and looked lush. As for the Elise, yeah, its a superb car. It's funny though as you get two reactions, either expensive sports car or unreliable sports car. To be honest, its neither. My Elise, has mini metro wing mirrors, a cheap £5 rear view mirror, Renault gearbox, Rover engine, Vauxhall indicator stalks and Peugeot dash buttons. It's cheaper for me to run an Elise than it was my Renault Megane on service, parts, tax and fuel. Its just not as practical ;)

Anyway, we should get this back onto topic and away from cheap plastic sports cars :P:):)[/quote]

Lotus: Lots Of Trouble Usually Serious :huh:
I had 18 years with a Caterham 7 ..

[quote name='OldGit' post='378322' date='Jan 12 2009, 09:54 PM']Lotus: Lots Of Trouble Usually Serious ;)
I had 18 years with a Caterham 7 ..[/quote]

HEHEHE so far, touching wood, my Loti has been ok and that includes, touching more wood, various trackdays, and hopefully this March, now hugging a tree, it will be ok at the next trackday :P:)

Caterham. YUMMY YUMMY.

[quote name='Linus27' date='Jan 12 2009, 12:45 PM' post='377588']
My Elise, has mini metro wing mirrors, a cheap £5 rear view mirror, Renault gearbox, Rover engine, Vauxhall indicator stalks and Peugeot dash buttons. It's cheaper for me to run an Elise than it was my Renault Megane on service, parts, tax and fuel. Its just not as practical ;)

Anyway, we should get this back onto topic and away from cheap plastic sports cars :P:):)

/quote]

I used to have an original elan [JAP 4D] Unreliable as hell. but wonderfull, Mixture of bits of cars, mainly ford, hillman imp and others. Service every 3000 miles. twin weber carbs which never seemed to stay tuned, I used to carry a home made 1x15 where the passenger seat should go.

[quote name='bumnote' post='378405' date='Jan 12 2009, 10:51 PM'][quote name='Linus27' post='377588' date='Jan 12 2009, 12:45 PM']
My Elise, has mini metro wing mirrors, a cheap £5 rear view mirror, Renault gearbox, Rover engine, Vauxhall indicator stalks and Peugeot dash buttons. It's cheaper for me to run an Elise than it was my Renault Megane on service, parts, tax and fuel. Its just not as practical ;)

Anyway, we should get this back onto topic and away from cheap plastic sports cars :P:):)[/quote]

I used to have an original elan [JAP 4D] Unreliable as hell. but wonderfull, Mixture of bits of cars, mainly ford, hillman imp and others. Service every 3000 miles. twin weber carbs which never seemed to stay tuned, I used to carry a home made 1x15 where the passenger seat should go.
[/quote]

Cool stuff. The Elise reminds me a little of the original Elan. Lightweight, small, simple, heaps of fun.

[quote name='bumnote' post='378405' date='Jan 12 2009, 10:51 PM']I used to have an original elan [JAP 4D] Unreliable as hell. but wonderfull, Mixture of bits of cars, mainly ford, hillman imp and others. Service every 3000 miles. twin weber carbs which never seemed to stay tuned, I used to carry a home made 1x15 where the passenger seat should go.[/quote]
I had a Lotus Elite 2.2 (the one like the Eclat). One of 173 made, which meant there were another 172 piles of unreliable sh*te taking periodic rests round the English countryside.

[quote name='tauzero' post='379191' date='Jan 13 2009, 03:38 PM']I had a Lotus Elite 2.2 (the one like the Eclat). One of 173 made, which meant there were another 172 piles of unreliable sh*te taking periodic rests round the English countryside.[/quote]

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

I had no idea they made the Elite as a 2 + 2, only the Elan.

the elan the 60s lotus? I met one of the lotus designer from the 60s while working in shrewsbury jessops. Wanted a copy of a bw photo of a old lotus with 3 men around it. I saw it and said "I love the old cars, they had class and were just awesome" to which he replyed "thank you, I helped design it,thats me*points to him on photo*" ....now I dont get star struck but I suddenly went very nervous around him while talking cars for a min.busy shop...but who cares when you have this guy in front of you? hehe

[quote name='Linus27' post='379208' date='Jan 13 2009, 03:45 PM']HAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

I had no idea they made the Elite as a 2 + 2, only the Elan.[/quote]

there were 2 elites the first one was the predecessor to the elan. and the one after the 7 I think

[quote name='photographymatt' post='379276' date='Jan 13 2009, 04:35 PM']the elan the 60s lotus? I met one of the lotus designer from the 60s while working in shrewsbury jessops. Wanted a copy of a bw photo of a old lotus with 3 men around it. I saw it and said "I love the old cars, they had class and were just awesome" to which he replyed "thank you, I helped design it,thats me*points to him on photo*" ....now I dont get star struck but I suddenly went very nervous around him while talking cars for a min.busy shop...but who cares when you have this guy in front of you? hehe[/quote]

Originally produced as a kit car to avoid purchase tax, the predecessor to vat
1558 twin cam based on the ford anglia.
Needed constant attention. very Light weght 110BHP if i remember correctly. but was an absolute joy to drive in the not very busy roads.I wonder how I am still alive.
All technology was relatively basic. Cars have come a long way since then, Chapman was a great designer, design the bare minimum to keep the weight down. I was always underneath the bloody thing.
I remember took me three evenings lying underneath to cut through a seized high tensile bolt on a rear wishbone, using a 3 inch length of hacksaw wrapped in a bit of rag, in an unheated garage in mid winter.

So we have some Lotus enthusiasts. I still have this one:

Unfortunately it hasn't run for many years but one day it will go again. At least that's what I keep telling myself, and Mrs OBBM.

Alternatively I'd consider swapping it for a pristine Frogeye Sprite or an early 60's Jazz. ;)

Edited by obbm

[quote name='obbm' post='379825' date='Jan 13 2009, 11:19 PM']So we have some Lotus enthusiasts. I still have this one:

Unfortunately it hasn't run for many years but one day it will go again. At least that's what I keep telling myself, and Mrs OBBM.

Alternatively I'd consider swapping it for a pristine Frogeye Sprite or an early 60's Jazz. ;)[/quote]

Hey obbm, I would love to see that ruuning again, especially as your about 15 mins (10 in the Elise) down the road from me. Beautiful looking Esprit. What's up with her anyway?

[quote name='bumnote' post='379788' date='Jan 13 2009, 10:34 PM']there were 2 elites the first one was the predecessor to the elan. and the one after the 7 I think[/quote]

This is the Elite I know of.

As for the other Elite, I always thought it was called the Eclat which is not surprising as they look identical.

Elite

Eclat

[quote name='Linus27' post='379833' date='Jan 13 2009, 11:27 PM']Hey obbm, I would love to see that ruuning again, especially as your about 15 mins (10 in the Elise) down the road from me. Beautiful looking Esprit. What's up with her anyway?[/quote]

I got in '87 after I sold the Ginetta G12 and used it occassionally however after a longish period of inactivity the clutch seized to the flywheel. None of the known techniques would free it and I concluded that it was going to be an engine-out job. What with work, house rebuilding, redundnacy, music, gas expenditure, and starting a business I never got round to it.

I reasoned that if the engine is coming out (only done 45K from new, then I might as well have it rebuilt .

In it's current state it has a low value but the value of the car running is about the same as the cost of the rebuild, so no point in doing anything at the moment. It can sit there until I pop my clogs and then my son can have the problem.

[quote name='obbm' post='379845' date='Jan 13 2009, 11:37 PM']I got in '87 after I sold the Ginetta G12 and used it occassionally however after a longish period of inactivity the clutch seized to the flywheel. None of the known techniques would free it and I concluded that it was going to be an engine-out job. What with work, house rebuilding, redundnacy, music, gas expenditure, and starting a business I never got round to it.

I reasoned that if the engine is coming out (only done 45K from new, then I might as well have it rebuilt .

In it's current state it has a low value but the value of the car running is about the same as the cost of the rebuild, so no point in doing anything at the moment. It can sit there until I pop my clogs and then my son can have the problem.[/quote]

HAHAHA nice one. Still, I hope to see it on the road oneday. Shame to let it waste away. By the way, Lakeside Engineering near Addlestone are excellent Lotus guys. All Ex Bell and Colvill.