Why become a member? ×

New Sei Build

BigRedX

• 2 months later...

Just a quick update on the progress of this bass...

It's at the finishers right now. I had a couple of conversations with Martin at Sims Custom about how the grey stain was going to work out and everything looks as though it's going well now.

I'm hoping that it might be back at the Gallery when I go to the LGS so I can get some more progress pics.

Thanks everyone.

Actually looking at the dates I don't think it'll be back from Sims Custom by the weekend of the LGS. I've told everyone to take their time and I'll be happy for the bass to be finished when it's ready and no need to rush.

It'll give me a excuse for another London trip anyway...

Saw Martins Sims at the LGS yesterday and he said my Sei bass just needed the final polishing before going back to the Gallery, so it looks as though we nearly there!

He mentioned that staining all all the light coloured wood had been a nightmare in the masking but the end result was looking brilliant and that pics would definitely be up on the Sims custom web site when the finishing was all done.

This is the second bass Sims custom have finished for me that has been less than straight-forward, they also did the finishing on my matt black Gus G3, but based on how brilliantly that turned out, I can't wait to see the finished Sei!

BTW I like the headstock shape, that was oneof the deciding factors in picking who was going to be building this bass for me.

Hey Red

Really excited about seeing the finished result - I have no doubt your bass should/will be amazing. And just so people don't think Martin doesn't make many basses simply because their owners don't all post here - here are a few recent examples of basses that have been completed in the last mont or two, some seriously stunning work me thinks:

And there are at least 6 others in late stage builds - I saw a lovely single cut with Thuya burr facings and with a similar wod combo to mine the other day - all good!

Just keeping the Sei vibe alive on this forum...

Keep us posted Red - can't wait to see the end result - as I'm sure can't either - it's so worth the wait, hang in there man.

Mike

[quote name='ped' post='222737' date='Jun 20 2008, 10:59 AM']Ouch! Those are sweet. I would love to play the semi fretted/fretless.[/quote]

Likewise! I can see the fretted/fretless setup actually being incredibly really useful live. Shame I haven't got anywhere near the amount of cash that would no doubt be required to get hold of such a fine instrument...

Thanks everyone!

There's some nice new Sei Basses you've posted urb. Can't help thinking of chocolate though...

I'm hoping to see photos of the finishing on mine on the [url="http://www.simscustom.com/html/home.htm"]Sims Custom[/url] site soon...

He's a fantastic builder, I'm still at the stage with mine, where I'm still experimenting with it, and discovering all these wonderful tones and vibes.

Some basses are 'one trick ponies', for want of a better description, they perhaps do one thing well, that's not the case with my Sei, it does many things.

I've used it in a metal/rock band that I play with occassionaly, and I've used it loads in various jazz settings, it responds to your needs.

I like art and obviously music, Sei basses are a great combination of a both, a beautifuly crafted peice of art, and a fantastic musical instrument with wonderful sounds.

[quote name='6stringbassist' post='223324' date='Jun 20 2008, 11:04 PM']He's a fantastic builder, I'm still at the stage with mine, where I'm still experimenting with it, and discovering all these wonderful tones and vibes.

Some basses are 'one trick ponies', for want of a better description, they perhaps do one thing well, that's not the case with my Sei, it does many things.

I've used it in a metal/rock band that I play with occassionaly, and I've used it loads in various jazz settings, it responds to your needs.

I like art and obviously music, Sei basses are a great combination of a both, a beautifuly crafted peice of art, and a fantastic musical instrument with wonderful sounds.[/quote]

+1 - Damn right - my bass is the same - so good for many, many things - the sheer variety yet consistancy of tones you can achieve is really something.

Also my little bit of Sei news is that I am in the early stages of planning my next Sei - which will be a killer Jazz style Sei - a four string too - I'm still getting the financial side of it together but Martin and I discussed some options - I'll obviously keep you all posted but as ever I think it'll be something a little bit special - but then all Seis are a bit special... :)

Mike

• 2 weeks later...