Why become a member? ×

New Sei Build

BigRedX

Well after spending a good 18 months looking at web sites of just about every custom bass builder and lurking on this forum plus TalkBass, I've finally made a decission and put down a deposit on a Sei.

I had two visits to the Gallery and spend plenty of time putting together the specs with Martin. I had a good idea how I wanted the bass to look and sound, and just needed Martin's expertise to put these two things together to give me a working bass.

I picked the Flamboyant offset shape as a like that look, plus I wanted the extra acces the offset version gave to the upper register - in fact we're going for just a bit more cutaway than normal to give even more high note access.

Colour-wise I really like the look of [url="http://www.nordstrandguitars.com/assets/images/gallery/Leo%20Kishore/leo1.jpg"]this Nordstrand[/url].

Sound-wise my fretless hero is Mick Karn so something that will get plenty of full lows, while being able to 'sing' in the upper register.

So based on that, here's the specs that Martin put together for me:

Flamboyant Offset fretless 5 -string strung E to C

Body: Flamed Sycamore full facings front and back

Bubinga wings

Neck 34" scale: Flamed Maple and bubinga with a Brazilian Rosewood fingerboard

Orange LEDs in the side, and descrete black dots on the face between the G and C strings.
The fingerboard is going to extend all the way to the 'neck' pickup and depending on it's placement will give me between 26 and 30 'frets'.
Pick up covers and ramp in matching Brazilian Rosewood.

Pickups and electronics still to be finalised, but at the moment I'm contemplating the J East/ACG filter pre-amp with Bartolini Gary Willis pups (I played the Ibanez GW sig at the Gallery to audition the pups, and if I hadn't just paid the deposit on the Sei I would have been quite tempted...)

Martin says there'll be something more substantial than just bits of wood to look at in about 4 months...

I'll keep you all posted.

[quote name='Alpha-Dave' post='38474' date='Jul 29 2007, 01:59 PM']Excellent, will they be able to make the ramp and p'up covers from the same piece of rosewood so it looks seemless, or is that too tricky as they'll have to be leveled differently?

The ACG pre is excellent for fretless, I'd highly recommend it![/quote]

I'm hoping that Martin will be able to use the Fingerboard wood to get all the bits out of so it looks like a single piece. It will depend on the position of the 'bridge' pup and what Martin deems to be the usable portion of the board as there are a couple of imperfections he wants to avoid in it. However he has got a second almost matching piece so it could still be possible.

Thanks for re-enforcing my provisional choice of pre-amp! Any recommendations of pups to go with it? - I have plenty of time to check them out until I have to make the decision.

Excellent Red - look forward to seeing your bass progress - it'll take a while but it goes a lot quicker than you'd imagine - your design choice and specs sound very exciting - keep us up to date as things progress - good have another Sei basser round these parts.

Cheers

Mike

The facility to 'tune into' the frequency range I'm playing in is a huge bonus for fretless for the ACG pre, so it works well with both humbuckers in series (punchy mid-hump), and parallel (flat response) I have actually hard wired my neck p'up in parallel and the bridge in series, and then set up a good but very different tone set on each, then adjust the pan knob during different parts of the song for added texture.

The possible down side is that I'm not sure if Alan is supplying the preamp to other UK luthiers as it's one of his major selling points (other than ace build quality and communication!), still he may be willing to negotiate.

The bass looks like its going to be great I love those offset sei's.

I dont think you will get the option of the ACG pre though, Im sure Alan said he wasn't supplying other luithers. He is only selling them for fitting in standard bass's to be fair it would be abit like shooting himself in the foot, it's what sets his basses apart from alot of others. He's spent alot of time and money on the pre and selling to other luithers might be seen as a bad move. But Im not sure maybe worth a nice email the pre is stunning.

Edited by Sugden

According to [url="http://www.acguitars.co.uk/News/63/"]this page on the ACG site[/url] the pre-amp is available for sale separately. I hope this is still the case, as I really want to go for this filter-based design.

Bassjamm, Once I'd seen the Nordstrand, I was sure that was how I wanted my bass to look color-wise. There some great looking basses on the Sei site, but a lot of the ones with the more outragous tops I think can be a bit hit or miss in relation to the wood patterns interacting with the body shape and what gets covered up by the pups and other hardware. I like the simplicity of the flamed sycamore (although we spent a bit of time selecting a piece with the right fanned flame pattern. Plus grey and orange is an awesome colour combination, yet not particularly common. (expecting to see lots of links for grey/orange basses now...)

• 3 months later...

I was in London over the weekend and managed to fit in a visit to the gallery on Monday where I could see the neck laminations for my bass glued up...

Unfortunately Martin and Alex were having to deal with a potential disaster in the shape of a burst water main 100 yards up the road that was fountaining water up through the pavement and showing signs of wanting to drain into the basement workshop of the Gallery, so I quickly grabbed a couple of shots of the neck and then got out of the way...

Unfortunately Shukers just don't "do it" for me. And to be honest, if I hadn't gone for a Sei, it would have been a Ritter or a Spalt or something else from my [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=5525"]Weird And Wonderful[/url] thread. However I didn't think I was quite ready to commision a bass from outside the UK where going to catch up on the build progress and have a chat about how we are going to achieve all the features I want wouldn't be quite so easy.

• 3 months later...

A quick update:

I just spoke to Martin and the wood shaping is almost finished on my bass!

He said to give him a call in a week or so time and arrange to check the feel of the neck.

I was planning to be in London mid-March but I may have to try and arrange something even sooner now.

Getting dizzy with anticipation!

Great to hear of the progress :)

I really enjoyed seeing my Sei after the wood shaping. I'm sure you know this already, but be prepared for your bass to look a little pale. Martin will no doubt but some thinners on it so you can get an idea of what it'll look like after it's been to the finishers.

Here's how my bass looked at the same stage as yours and then after it came back with a shiny coat on

It is incredibly exciting to hold the bass and get a real feel of what it's going to be like :huh:

Edited by 7string

• 1 month later...

Final had time to get to London on Friday and check on the progress of my bass...

And wow!

Everything I had hoped for and then some. It's looking amazing and going off to the finishers for the grey stain on the light woods and then the super gloss finish. The fingerboard wood is just astounding, none of these photos quite do it justice. shaping the body revealed an imperfection in the facing wood, but it's on the back and once the grey stain has been applied it'll be hardly noticeable. Discussed pickup options with Martin and we're going for a pair of Gary Willis Signature model Bartolinis. Martin was saying that if everything goes to plan the bas could be ready in two months time!

Thanks for the kind words everyone.

I am beyond happy the way this bass is turning out. Looking forward to seeing it with the grey stain and then the gloss bringing out the orange of the darker woods.

The route is for the neck pickup. Normally on a Sei the pickup routes are done after the finishing but because of the placement of the neck pickup in relation to the extended fingerboard (it's 30 'frets') and the fact that the end of the fingerboard isn't being shaped in the traditional Sei style this one has had to have been done now. The second route will be done at the more conventional (for Sei) time.

Now that it's bass-shaped rather than some nice-looking pieces of wood, the anticipation is much more real. Especially since it's off to the finishers in the next week or so.

The grey and orange look was inspired by this Nordstrand bass:

The moment I saw this I knew that's how I wanted the Sei to look as it would combine a colourful look with some impressive wood figuring.

I've told Martin not to rush it. The bass is looking great and I'll be happy for it to be ready when it's ready.