Why become a member? ×

Warning! Totally Outrageous and Idle Request!

AM1

Aloha

I have agreed to go to a rehearsal end of Jan and need tabs for the following songs - I know most of them and can probably play by ear but will be handy to have tabs as reference. I'm trying to play as many styles as possible in the name of versatility.

However, the more time I waste trawling the net for tabs, the less practice time I have!

Soooooo.......anyone feeling bored/mad enough to find good tabs......I suppose there might be beer involved as and when you have the misfortune to meet me somewhere along the way!

Songs as follows:

Celebrity Skin (Hole)

Crack the Liars Smile (Drain Sth)

Crackpot Baby (L7)

Enter Sandman (Metallica)

Gimme More (Britney Spears)=Hoping To Change into Heavy Rock Version!!!

He’s My Thing (Babes in Toyland)

Inside (Stiltskin)

Mother (Danzig)

My Angel (Rock Goddess)=1/2 step higher than original

Slide (L7)

To be Betrayed (Rock Goddess)=1/2 step higher than original

Violet (Hole)

War with You (L7)

You Suck (Maxitit)

-------------------------------------

Danke Schon :-)

AM

[quote name='ARGH' post='364042' date='Dec 27 2008, 08:01 AM']Can I be even more lazy and say go download the tunes and use your ears like the way us over 30s had to! Its called ear training!!!![/quote]

Interesting assumption :huh:

Have listened already, just want the tabs as a reference source :)

Playing by ear is by by far the quickest and easiest but a bad habit to just do ear playing alone longer term.

I vowed not to go down the road of playing purely by ear because I want to develop my reading as well.

[quote name='AM1' post='364116' date='Dec 27 2008, 12:08 PM']I vowed not to go down the road of playing purely by ear because I want to develop my reading as well.[/quote]

So, are you saying you have deliberately restricted your ear training because you want to learn to read better? I don't see the logic. :)

It's like saying that you have cut back on conversing in Italian because you want to improve your Italian reading skills. You can never ever do too much ear training; life is not long enough.

[quote name='Sean' post='364130' date='Dec 27 2008, 12:47 PM']So, are you saying you have deliberately restricted your ear training because you want to learn to read better? I don't see the logic. :)

It's like saying that you have cut back on conversing in Italian because you want to improve your Italian reading skills. You can never ever do too much ear training; life is not long enough.[/quote]

NO!

Look - I can pick up an instrument and learn by ear, very quickly and have done for years.

This becomes restrictive when there are occasional passages of music that are difficult to learn by ear and being able to read these is a useful tool.

One example - You wouldn't expect to turn up and record a part in a studio by learning it by ear before hand, sometimes a score is given out on the day and you are expected to sight read it OFF THE SHEET.

That does not mean I will take one or other approach with the bass ALL OF THE TIME. I will work on both.

But I am deliberately trying to avoid just becoming an ear player.

I can learn any one of these songs BY EAR in a quick amount of time. But that is NOT helping me to develop READING.

I disagree fundamentally - from MY personal experience, you CAN do too much ear playing by ear, to the detriment of learning rudimentary music.

A good musician is versatile enough to do both.

If you want to debate the semantics, open a thread elsewhere, this thread is for finding tabs.

Regards

AM

Edited by AM1

[quote name='AM1' post='364135' date='Dec 27 2008, 01:04 PM']NO!

Look - I can pick up an instrument and learn by ear, very quickly and have done for years.

This becomes restrictive when there are occasional passages of music that are difficult to learn by ear and being able to read these is a useful tool.

One example - You wouldn't expect to turn up and record a part in a studio by learning it by ear before hand, sometimes a score is given out on the day and you are expected to sight read it OFF THE SHEET.

That does not mean I will take one or other approach with the bass ALL OF THE TIME. I will work on both.

But I am deliberately trying to avoid just becoming an ear player.

I can learn any one of these songs BY EAR in a quick amount of time. But that is NOT helping me to develop READING.

I disagree fundamentally - from MY personal experience, you CAN do too much ear playing by ear, to the detriment of learning rudimentary music.

A good musician is versatile enough to do both.

If you want to debate the semantics, open a thread elsewhere, this thread is for finding tabs.

Regards

AM[/quote]

Keep yer wig on and watch the SHOUTING and the patronising tone. Chill out and enjoy the forum - no one's here to wind you up or be rude, most of the regulars and longer serving BCers are very helpful and by the same chalk very keen to understand where exactly people are coming from and what their angle is so we can give the best advice. Maybe I'll wind my neck in and keep any advice to myself in future if it's going to get a spoilt brat response. Remember that a lot is "lost in translation" in posts and people sometimes seek clarification.

[quote name='AM1' post='364136' date='Dec 27 2008, 01:05 PM']Any decent tabs have notation too............[/quote]

Not one's on most tab sites.

Aquire Guitar Pro 5, it's great for tabs with notation. I can't abide by tab on it's own, I need notation as well. I just wish I could read the music properly, I should learn really.

Anyway, once you have guitar pro go [url="http://www.gprotab.net/"]here[/url]

Edited by TheDarkReaver

AM, we've been here before, people are trying to help you, please be nice.
you may find the more you lose it in your replies, the less replies and help you'll get.

you are lucky to be able to do this by ear.

quickly learning these songs by ear and then transcribing them strikes me as an awesome way to develop more than one skill.

learning to understand people speaking a new language is one thing, learning to speak it yourself is another, so transcribing would definitely help your reading, and not only that, you'd be helping others in the future by having them available.

[quote name='TheDarkReaver' post='364145' date='Dec 27 2008, 01:26 PM']Not one's on most tab sites.

Aquire Guitar Pro 5, it's great for tabs with notation. I can't abide by tab on it's own, I need notation as well. I just wish I could read the music properly, I should learn really.

Anyway, once you have guitar pro go [url="http://www.gprotab.net/"]here[/url][/quote]

Thank you.

That's EXACTLY what I was after.

As a child I used to go to the library for sheet music so I'm not particularly familiar with the nuances of tabs/notation on the internet.

Many thanks.

Regards

AM

I like using powertab, tbh i cant learn by ear to save my life but i can make my own stuff up by ear most of the time. Ultimate guitar is my favourite site, but as already stated it really is a shame the powertab archive has gone under. Sorry I cant be of help as I seem to be even more lazy than yourself AM :)

rik

[quote name='mewsie' post='364147' date='Dec 27 2008, 01:29 PM']AM, we've been here before, people are trying to help you, please be nice.
you may find the more you lose it in your replies, the less replies and help you'll get.

you are lucky to be able to do this by ear.

quickly learning these songs by ear and then transcribing them strikes me as an awesome way to develop more than one skill.

learning to understand people speaking a new language is one thing, learning to speak it yourself is another, so transcribing would definitely help your reading, and not only that, you'd be helping others in the future by having them available.[/quote]
+1 Thanks, Mewsie. Eloquent as ever. :)

[quote name='mewsie' post='364147' date='Dec 27 2008, 01:29 PM']AM, we've been here before, people are trying to help you, please be nice.
you may find the more you lose it in your replies, the less replies and help you'll get.[/quote]

This is a bit over the top.

[quote name='mewsie' post='364147' date='Dec 27 2008, 01:29 PM']you are lucky to be able to do this by ear.[/quote]

It's not luck, it's hard work.

[quote name='mewsie' post='364147' date='Dec 27 2008, 01:29 PM']quickly learning these songs by ear and then transcribing them strikes me as an awesome way to develop more than one skill.[/quote]

If I had time for that sort of thing, I would, in any case, there's far quicker ways to transcribe music than learning by ear and writing the notes down.

[quote name='mewsie' post='364147' date='Dec 27 2008, 01:29 PM']learning to understand people speaking a new language is one thing, learning to speak it yourself is another, so transcribing would definitely help your reading, and not only that, you'd be helping others in the future by having them available.[/quote]

I don't need help with the mechanics of reading music. Also, in context, transcribing does nothing to assist sight-reading.

Furthermore, I do not agree with transcribing other people's music then providing it free, just the same as I do not agree with stealing music by MP3 download. Both of these practices deprive the original music creator of their rightful income.

I will happily buy tab/notation or music recordings if and when good sources are recommended.

Love to help other but time doesn't permit that right now.

Thanks to all for the tab sources, the ones with decent notation are the ones I was after.

Regards

AM

Edited by AM1

AM, you obviously have a huge attitude problem/chip on your shoulder and you give the impression that the world owes you something. I'd respectfully ask you to keep a lid on it and grow up a bit. Mewsie has done absolutely nothing to prompt such a sh*tty reaction from you. May I suggest you go out for a walk and contemplate a few things about how communities such as BC work.

So many of your posts are so negative and aggressive - get it sorted and stop spewing your vitriolic bile over the pages of this forum.

[quote name='Sean' post='364167' date='Dec 27 2008, 02:04 PM']AM, you obviously have a huge attitude problem/chip on your shoulder and you give the impression that the world owes you something. I'd respectfully ask you to keep a lid on it and grow up a bit. Mewsie has done absolutely nothing to prompt such a sh*tty reaction from you. May I suggest you go out for a walk and contemplate a few things about how communities such as BC work.

So many of your posts are so negative and aggressive - get it sorted and stop spewing your vitriolic bile over the pages of this forum.[/quote]

My reply was perfectly polite and professional.

"Vitriolic bile" made me laugh though - a bit over the top.

Regards

AM