Why become a member? ×

NBD - Well this wasn't in the plan

stewblack

10 hours ago, Meddle said:
11 hours ago, Chownybass said:

If that’s what you want to call it. 

My point was that anything on aliexpress is not ours  

Its a shame that I've spotted clones of both your hollow basses and David's Vantage/RV4 designs on there. Either the original factories simply keep building them or the designs get passed around: 

I don't know much about the bass market but I do know a lot about the background to importing tools and machine tools.

In China (not sure about India) they are very efficient at resource use. Any QC fails are often sold at the back door or passed on to a 'family member'. If you are lucky they then get repaired (I've had speed controllers which had failed reflow soldering and been manually resoldered by someone in boxing gloves with plumbers solder, but they worked) or just tidied up a bit. They then get sold to Ali Baba, Aliexpress, eBay etc. and people see they look to all intents identical to the 'real thing'.

Down the road, the buyers complain of poor quality Chinese products and lack of spares/seller support...

My advice is always buy imports off a seller who has the size to hold spares, undertake quality control and give you customer service if anything is wrong. This does cost more but you are actually paying for something worth having.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Hobbayne said:

So is this aliexpress making copies of trademarked brands and selling them as unplayable crap??

Maybe playable. Maybe not. You have no right to recourse if it isn't. 

I'm quite philosophical about the copies of my stuff floating around. I know my basses are better. I know they're copies of the old chinese versions of my basses, although the factory I used to use swears they are nothing to do with it. I can't stop it - so I don't get excited about it.

I also know since we moved production our basses are SO much better than the ones we were getting out of China - even before they started knocking them out with cheaper parts etc.

Also Aliexpress is just a marketplace. Like Ebay. They don't actually make anything. They just facilitate the sale.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

My BAR* has dropped dramatically since I decided to play only six string bass - they are rarely seen out in the wild, so there is very little temptation!

*  BAR (Bass Acquisition Rate) is closely related to GAS, of course.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, FinnDave said:

Unfortunately, I haven't yet experienced MIP.

It comes right after that moment you play an instrument you want more than any other you've ever played and decide that you have at least 5 or 6 that you need less than the money for an equivalent.

• Like 1

Ah, I have always taken a different approach, I buy what I want and then start selling off things I no longer need (spare basses, amps, kidneys, etc) to cover the debt. I operated a bit like the government does, but I am not devious or dishonest enough to be a politician, sadly. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

• 9 months later...
1 hour ago, PJ-Bassist said:

Just read this thread, did you ever figure out who produced the bass?

No it looks like it was just a mass produced Chinese faker of the kind advertised on AliExpress. Someone imported it and then put it in the 2nd hand shop. 

Don't know why the guy down there thought it was a Chowny, I was entirely ignorant back then. I have learned since! 

• 2 weeks later...
On 21/02/2020 at 21:57, Ricky 4000 said:

I'm thinking of going to David for a new pup for my 4000 (I don't like the SD that's on there).

'R' for Retrovibe -- Yay!

I went to see David, and a thoroughly good chap he is too. Came away with a toaster in my pocket and escaped a hair's breadth from buying a bass from him. 

A beautiful Les Paul shape, medium scale with Ric style pups. I can't afford it, no room to keep it, don't need it. Been thinking about it ever since!