Why become a member? ×

New Gallien Krueger Legacy heads

cetera

7 minutes ago, fretmeister said:

The demo sounds very nice.

Might put them on the list.

** DG M900 sidetrack warning!! ** 😂

I thought the dirt tone was better than on our DG M900s - interesting post in the comments section on the YouTube clip "The distortion it's very cool, it's similar to Alpha Omega pedal." Hmmm...if that's true then that's got me wanting to check out the AO pedal :)

But I guess it's also relevant to your other thread where you're looking to compare the DG M900 v1 with the v2 and which gives you the option of going for the AO instead of the B3K/VMT.

However I'm not sure that the clean tone on the GK is any better than on the DG M900?

...I personally would have liked to have seen the amp settings that he was using, whilst he was demoing it.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, cetera said:

They've posted the wrong rear photo. That must be the Legacy800 model....

I don't think so - I remember reading before that they're quoting the 2 ohm rating as the headline power figure for the new line, but if you're using a 4 ohm or greater load, the new 1200 / 800 / 500 range is essentially equivalent to the old 800 / 500 / 200 models in terms of output. 

2 hours ago, cetera said:

Soooooo tempted by the 800. Only thing I don't like is the power button on the back. If it's racked this is a pain to get to!

Power strip at the top on the back, one (easy to reach) switch for everything.

The real problem is (and Ashdown are just as bad) there's no secondary input on the back.

I'm buying a rackmount head => I'm probably going to rack mount it => I likely have other rack gear (tuners, wireless, etc), all of which has the I/O on the back => I have to have a stupid trailing cable from the back to the front of the rack that I have to plug and unplug every time or at best some custom job that feeds through.

Props to Peavey for getting it so right with the Tour series.

Edited by Jack

The GK legacy head and its range of sounds reminded me quite a bit of the EBS Reidmar 750 - anyone else agree?

The comparable EBS Reidmar 750 is £549 vs £849 for the GK Legacy 800 head...Hmmm in terms of a back-up amp, I think I know where both my heart AND head are going to be leading me :) 

On 26/06/2019 at 12:15, stoo said:

I don't think so - I remember reading before that they're quoting the 2 ohm rating as the headline power figure for the new line, but if you're using a 4 ohm or greater load, the new 1200 / 800 / 500 range is essentially equivalent to the old 800 / 500 / 200 models in terms of output. 

That actually makes quite a big difference if the "800" is 500W at 4ohms / 250W at 8ohms and not 800W/400W respectively. In which case I need to be comparing the 1200 with the EBS Reidmar 750 in terms of pricing.

[EDIT]

BUT it seems from the follow up comment below that isn't the position and the "800" is 800W at 4 ohms and lower impedances.

Edited by Al Krow

9 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

That actually makes quite a big difference if the "800" is 500W at 4ohms / 250W at 8ohms and not 800W/400W respectively. In which case I need to be comparing the 1200 with the EBS Reidmar 750 in terms of pricing.

Are you sure that's right?

Unlike most bass heads, the back of these actually has a settings switch depending on what cab is connected. Why go to the bother of that if the amp hasn't been built to give max power to all impedance cabs?

1 hour ago, fretmeister said:

Are you sure that's right?

Unlike most bass heads, the back of these actually has a settings switch depending on what cab is connected. Why go to the bother of that if the amp hasn't been built to give max power to all impedance cabs?

Hah! Not at all...it was based on this following comment from Stoo..

On 26/06/2019 at 12:15, stoo said:

But it seems to me from your screen grab that all is in order 😊 and that Andertons caused a bunch of confusion by pairing the back of the 800 model with the front of the 1200 model.

i.e. the 800 is 800W at 4ohms and lower impedances. 

@fretmeister what did you think of the comparison on the EBS Reidmar YT video?

The EBS sounded pretty good to me, but I also thought the GK had something in the lows that was a bit more grunty.

Obviously difficult to tell from youtube. I've never owned an EBS or a GK so I might have to try them both. As usual finding a shop that sells both and has both in stock will be a nightmare!

I do like the GK drive on the demo though. That was very nice. Quite different in character to the DG amp.

Agreed that the drive on GK (and the EBS too) have a quite different flavour to the DG.

If you do get to A/B them, be very interested in getting your feedback. We obviously share a fair bit of what we're looking for tonally in both having DG M900s and BF cabs!

When the GK's land I might have to go to Andertons. They stock all 3, but at the moment the EBS is showing as being for Order only.

If I have cash in my pocket and tell them I will be leaving with one of the amps, I wonder if they'll get the EBS in so I can do a proper comparison between the DG M900 V2 and the other options.

Take my Sandberg and a BF cab down with me, maybe.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Al Krow said:

Hah! Not at all...it was based on this following comment from Stoo..

But it seems to me from your screen grab that all is in order 😊 and that Andertons caused a bunch of confusion by pairing the back of the 800 model with the front of the 1200 model.

i.e. the 800 is 800W at 4ohms and lower impedances. 

@fretmeister what did you think of the comparison on the EBS Reidmar YT video?

Weird - I was sure I'd seen the ratings from GK themselves, so I went back and had a look... In the comments of this thread

Gallien-Krueger Rich Fell 1200 through 2, 800 through 4, 400 through 8

Admittedly that was about the Fusion models rather than the Legacy ones, but I'd assumed they would all use the same power section. Maybe they don't, or maybe they've updated them all since last year....??

gk-power-ratings.jpg

Comment on TB that's interesting on the power output:

The GK 1200 would need two 4 ohm cabinets to get your 1200 watts since it's a a 2 channel amp, each amp producing producing 600 watts into 4 ohms (whereas the Bergantino Forte HP will give you 1200 watts with one 4 ohm cabinet since it uses a higher powered ICE module)

Is that correct regarding the GK 1200 - if so it's definitely a point worth noting.

Are the GK 800 and 500 also similarly 2 channel amps?

I thought I was going bonkers remembering the new Fusion heads. They aren’t the Legacy heads though are they, because they have the Fusion preamp? Whilst the Legacy heads look amazing, the anew Fusion heads are more up my street if they hit the market :)

5 hours ago, Merton said:

I thought I was going bonkers remembering the new Fusion heads. They aren’t the Legacy heads though are they, because they have the Fusion preamp? Whilst the Legacy heads look amazing, the anew Fusion heads are more up my street if they hit the market :)

From old pics I've found I think the Legacy's ARE the fusion heads - just been a name change.

I found some pics of "New Fusion" heads and they look just like the Legacy models.

• Thanks 1

On 02/07/2019 at 15:45, fretmeister said:

Screen grab from YT of the 800W

So it's 400W at 8ohms, and the full 800W at 4ohms, 2,7, and 2 ohms.

So following that the 500W must be about 250W at 8ohms, but full 500W at 4 / 2.7 / 2

GK back panel.jpg

I've no idea how that photo would work?

X3 switches.

X1 for 2 ohms.

X1 for 2.7 ohms.

X1 for 8 or 4 ohms.

Why not one input, or 4 (separate for 8 and 4 ohm).