Why become a member? ×

Not much of a fan of Van Halen but admired Eddy's skills. Never really aware of Michael Anthony as I could barely hear him on the records but came across this clip of 'Why can't this be love?' and enjoyed the version and MA's playing. Song starts half way through the clip.

I also enjoyed Rick Beato's breakdown of 'Jump' - not particularly bass-tastic but an interesting watch/listen to understand what's going on in the song... more than you think!

• Like 1

Did a cover of Hot For Teacher and it made me aware just how good Mike Anthony really is. He's a solid bassist but he has some really nice wee runs when he wants to. I'm quite a fan of his playing. Love his tone on that clip.

Dave

2 hours ago, arthurhenry said:

Wow - the bass is pretty prominent on the VH records, particularly the first two.

Well I'm used to Yes and Rush so outrageous levels of 'clank-o-bass'...

I have much respect for him.  Not only as a player but as a human being.  He was very shabbily treated by EVH in so many respects but never gets into any tit for tat slagging - I've watched interviews where he is being pushed for detail about how he felt about reading he'd been sacked etc but he steadfastly refuses to bite.  EVH even went as far as saying that he sang MA's vocal part on the records and taught him how to play the bass - no reaction from MA. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Paul S said:

I have much respect for him.  Not only as a player but as a human being.  He was very shabbily treated by EVH in so many respects but never gets into any tit for tat slagging - I've watched interviews where he is being pushed for detail about how he felt about reading he'd been sacked etc but he steadfastly refuses to bite.  EVH even went as far as saying that he sang MA's vocal part on the records and taught him how to play the bass - no reaction from MA. 

A totally class act.

32 minutes ago, Paul S said:

We all know EVH is a silly billy. He might have been talented in his day but still a tosser. 

On the other hand MA is a true star. One of those guys you'd like to meet.

When the bass starts on its own te tone is "ok" but when the guitar comes in its just a perfect rock tone for that song.

Dave

Edited by dmccombe7
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Hobbayne said:

Didnt EVH give his kid the bass chair when the lad could hardly play the thing??

Hmmm.  Ack, no.  He was more than capable; I'd hardly say Wolfie was lacking in talent...he'd been playing 10 years by the time he went out with his pop.