Why become a member? ×

Lightest Gauge Strings

Frank Blank

My first ‘proper’ bass was a beautiful black Jaydee Supernatural that I purchased from the Bass Centre in Wapping in 1988. Before I start crying about the bass I regret parting with the most I’ll get to the point. When I bought it I asked for it to be restrung, when asked what type/gauge I just said (as a complete novice who didn’t even know why he’d asked for it to be restrung) “The lightest gauge possible please...” While it was being restrung I pondered why I was having it strung with the lightest strings possible when my aim was to play in a heavy/goth band and also why on Earth I’d bought a Jaydee given that same ambition. Anyway I loved the bass and loved those strings too, I have no idea what gauge they were or even what make. My Godin is about due a new set of strings am I’m thinking of going light again, anyone have any recommendations for really light strings? What’s the lightest gauge you’ve ever used?

• 3 weeks later...
On ‎03‎/‎04‎/‎2019 at 16:46, Frank Blank said:

Cheers @Deedee, I particularly fond of D’Addario strings so they might be just the ticket!

I've been using these for the past 3 or 4 months on Fender type basses and I'm really enjoying them - I moved over from exl220s (40-60-75-95).  The difference isn't massive but the lighter gauge is preferable for me and there's plenty of bright twang if that's what you're looking for.  I've been shopping around but picked-up a few sets at about £18-19 including shipping

• Like 2

I prefer light gauge strings but found the 30s sets too light - I'll take 35s when I can. I even experimented with the top 4 from a 6 string set from D'Addario for a while ("custom set") - 0.28 upwards. D'Addario were very obliging and only charged me the same as a 4 string set. These were the days when Andy (of Bass Bash fame) was the Sales Rep .

The bass did feel like it was playing itself but TBH it felt a bit novelty-ish.