Why become a member? ×

Jaydee Basses

joe_geezer

4 hours ago, MJJS said:

Can’t recall If I’ve put this on this chat before.

image.jpeg.9341d4daa22e60aec79f0f831cfcbfc8.jpeg

I've not see that photo before. Really interesting as it shows how the pickup positions vary with reference to the bridge. This means that all four formats will have tonal differences even if identical woods were used. 

Edited by Sparky Mark
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, White Cloud said:

I'd be gobsmacked if that sees the hour out...

Agreed; I even thought of buying it. :facepalm:

Considering the price and almost 2 year lead-time for new, this is a no brainer for someone wanting a Roadie Active. 

Edited by Sparky Mark
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, joe_geezer said:

So the centre stripes on Roadies are just painted on? Well, i'll be damned, looks so authentic!

Not normally, no, Roadies do have a central strip of maple.  In this case, the maple strip is painted over to look like ebony.  Anorak fact, the first couple of Roadies made actually do have a central strip of ebony instead of maple.

• Like 1

On 17/03/2023 at 23:59, GeeCee said:

Here is a pic of S4 Roadie next to a S1 MK.  Look at the tail to see how much shorter it is.

Roadie II, S4 body_1c.JPG

What are the chances John would make me a recreation one of the Jazz basses that were being shipped out to Jaco? I wonder if it would be too far away from their current line up for it to be even possible?

2 hours ago, joe_geezer said:

What are the chances John would make me a recreation one of the Jazz basses that were being shipped out to Jaco? I wonder if it would be too far away from their current line up for it to be even possible?

he did a custom jazz for me once, it didnt look like the jaco one though

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Chris2112 said:

Here is a banger from 1987 with Mark King playing a Jaydee. Mark Brzezicki on the drums, what a combo these guys are. Imagine if they had recorded more together. I've loved this video for years. Mark is just killing it. 

Apparently noo one knows what happened to that pearl blue Jaydee or the pearl pink one.... 

7 hours ago, joe_geezer said:

Apparently noo one knows what happened to that pearl blue Jaydee or the pearl pink one.... 

It's known but i cant recall clearly right now. I think the blue one went to charity. The pink one might have been given to a roadie.

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, JohnFitzgerald said:

That's my old bass, I got Toby to do the refinish and the veneer headstock finish.
That and the purpleburst finish.

Between original purchase price and refinish it owed my £1k and I sold it for £1,400.

Do you mean that the laminate stripes are painted and the headstock front had a real veneer applied later?

• Like 1

On 21/03/2023 at 16:17, joe_geezer said:

You can but ask, though John is essentially retired, so it would be up to Mike and Andy as they would likely be the ones that would have to make it.  Hard to say, they don't do as much non-Jaydee work now and the model choices have narrowed somewhat.  Pretty easy to replicate though, 62 jazz copy, no scratch plate, plain ebony fingerboard, active EMG pick-ups (battery on back), and black hardware throughout (machine heads, control plate, bridge, etc.)  Would look like this:

IMG_8508.jpg

Edited by GeeCee
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, GeeCee said:

You can but ask, though John is essentially retired, so it would be up to Mike and Andy as they would likely be the ones that would have to make it.  Hard to say, they don't do as much non-Jaydee work now and the model choices have narrowed somewhat.  Pretty easy to replicate though, 62 jazz copy, no scratch plate, plain ebony fingerboard, active EMG pick-ups (battery on back), and black hardware throughout (machine heads, control plate, bridge, etc.)  Would look like this:

IMG_8508.jpg

A basschatter and jaydee collector owns one of the jaco jazzes as well as a couple of other jaydees

• Like 1

On 22/03/2023 at 08:43, Kiwi said:

It's known but i cant recall clearly right now. I think the blue one went to charity. The pink one might have been given to a roadie.

Blue one was given to a roadie, the pink one is MIA, I’ve asked all the people who would know (John Diggins, Mark King, Barry Moorhouse) all to no avail…

• Thanks 2