Why become a member? ×

If that's a Jazz, shouldn't there be two pickups?

Happy Jack

• 2 weeks later...

I've really never understood twin necks with a bass and a guitar neck. Fretted and fretless bass if you must or six and twelve string guitars, but who plays guitar then stops halfway through a song to play the middle eight on bass, then carries on on guitar again? 

And if there is a genuine reason anyone buys a guitar/bass then my clavinova/trombone combo should sell well. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Maude said:

who plays guitar then stops halfway through a song to play the middle eight on bass, then carries on on guitar again? 

1970s prog rockers, that’s who. Mike Rutherford of Genesis, for example, would switch between guitar and bass within a song, often using bass pedals to fill out the bottom end when playing guitar. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, pineweasel said:

1970s prog rockers, that’s who. Mike Rutherford of Genesis, for example, would switch between guitar and bass within a song, often using bass pedals to fill out the bottom end when playing guitar. 

Well he shouldn't 😉

5 hours ago, Maude said:

I've really never understood twin necks with a bass and a guitar neck. Fretted and fretless bass if you must or six and twelve string guitars, but who plays guitar then stops halfway through a song to play the middle eight on bass, then carries on on guitar again? 

It's so you can play the guitar and bass parts to Peaches at the same time. Bill Bailey has an entire routine about this.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Maude said:

And if there is a genuine reason anyone buys a guitar/bass then my clavinova/trombone combo should sell well. 

I do. Although I use a Bass VI for this. 

In one of my bands, the keyboard player and myself alternate between bass and melody parts, so when one of us is playing the bass part the other is doing chords or the melody and vice-versa.

• Like 1

On 03/02/2019 at 14:55, Maude said:

Takeshi Ohtani from the band Boris uses one quite effectively