Why become a member? ×

Do this if you are getting moulded earplugs

Owen

I had my new ear moulds done before Christmas. I have often wondered about how the ear canal changes when you smile. So I asked the audiologist if I should smile when the moulds were being made. She said "no, but there is a specific thing that you can use to keep your mouth open while the stuff sets in your ears". This makes the seal of the moulds better. This is my 3rd set of moulds and easily the best yet. The seal is excellent. Do it.

Just make sure you have a tissue cos things can get a little drippy from your mouth after you have kept it open and immobile with a wedge between your teeth for 2 minutes +.

• Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, owen said:

I had my new ear moulds done before Christmas. I have often wondered about how the ear canal changes when you smile. So I asked the audiologist if I should smile when the moulds were being made. She said "no, but there is a specific thing that you can use to keep your mouth open while the stuff sets in your ears". This makes the seal of the moulds better. This is my 3rd set of moulds and easily the best yet. The seal is excellent. Do it.

Just make sure you have a tissue cos things can get a little drippy from your mouth after you have kept it open and immobile with a wedge between your teeth for 2 minutes +.

Good tip. I have had the same pair for approx 20 years now and they still work and fit fine. I do recall being told that they should be renewed every five years! Is that why you're on your third set?

6 minutes ago, arthurhenry said:

Good tip. I have had the same pair for approx 20 years now and they still work and fit fine. I do recall being told that they should be renewed every five years! Is that why you're on your third set?

I was told every 3 years.

A bite block is what you are looking for. It's a little polystyrene block that has little indents to keep your open mouth impression a fixed width whilst you have your impressions taken.

bite-blocks-for-making-open-mouth-ear-pl

Rule of thumb is like this -

Closed if you are listening to hifi music (which isn't the case with ear plugs)

Half open bite block impression - for general movement, maybe backing vocals.

Full open bite block impression - lead vocalist that like to scream alot.

It really angers me to see a lot of (big name even!) custom inear/ear plug manufacturers take impressions and post it all over instagram with closed mouth impressions. Whats even worse, is at a couple of shows that I do, I see manufacturers taking impressions whilst the recipient is having a full on chin wag. These impressions will just not cut it, result in a poor fit for the final product and just serve to the give the custom game a bad name.

Edited by EBS_freak

I fell foul of this. Enquired at the drum show when attending with my drummer, negotiated a deal for both of us so we went for it. Obviously we were completely ignorant and relying on their experience. Don't get me wrong, they fit beautifully and really do the job... until I sing, then things get messy.

Edited by NickD

35 minutes ago, NickD said:

I fell foul of this. Enquired at the drum show when attending with my drummer, negotiated a deal for both of us so we went for it. Obviously we were completely ignorant and relying on their experience. Don't get me wrong, they fit beautifully and really do the job... until I sing, then things get messy.

Begins with a M? Did you have a full on chat?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, EBS_freak said:

Begins with a M? Did you have a full on chat?

And ends with 'ercury', yes!

Discussed it for a while, ins and outs, etc. Something I knew nothing about, and honestly, having always used expandable plugs, the changing shape of the ear canal never occurred to me. We told them what our respective roles were, but the idea of an open-bite impression never came up. I've messaged via their website but had no reply as yet. Must chase it up, not that there's really much point I guess.

15 hours ago, owen said:

Good tip, and very timely -- I'm thinking of getting some moulded plugs as a present to myself when I eventually get back to playing. I do sing BVs so I will need to bear this in mind.

1 hour ago, NickD said:

Discussed it for a while, ins and outs, etc. Something I knew nothing about, and honestly, having always used expandable plugs, the changing shape of the ear canal never occurred to me. We told them what our respective roles were, but the idea of an open-bite impression never came up. I've messaged via their website but had no reply as yet. Must chase it up, not that there's really much point I guess.

Yes - but was the discussion happening at the same time that they were taking impressions of your ears?

Sitting in silence and completely still whatever impression (closed, open, semi-open mouth impression) is imperative.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, owen said:

Actually my 4th set of plugs with 3 different audiologists and even then I actually had to ask for it last time.

Surprisingly, a lot of audiologists don't appreciate the needs for an open mouth impression - most of their work is for closed mouth impression ear protection (e.g. for working in a factory) or hearing aids.

If in doubt, 64 have all the relevant terminology in their impressions guide, found here - https://www.64audio.com/img/instructions2.pdf

Edited by EBS_freak

7 minutes ago, EBS_freak said:

Yes - but was the discussion happening at the same time that they were taking impressions of your ears?

Sitting in silence and completely still whatever impression (closed, open, semi-open mouth impression) is imperative.

The discussion around filter strength being conducted while the impression was being taken.

1 hour ago, NickD said:

Their background I believe is supplying ear plugs to the NHS - so closed mouth. (I think they lost the contract - hence the diversification - but don't quote me on that) What worries me more, is that when I spoke to them about phase alignment and coherence of drivers, I was met with a glazed expression. Didn't fill me with much confidence.

I was there when Al Murray had his ear impressions taken for his IEMs from them. Face palmed as they were laughing and joking with him... sans bite block 😕

Edited by EBS_freak
  • Like 1