Why become a member? ×

Mike Porcaro

L1zz1e

Hi, this might seem random...
I was wondering if anyone knew what was up with Mike Porcaro (bass Toto) I met Simon Phillips a few days ago and asked him how Mike was getting on with his "hand injury" and he said he wasnt good...

Hes the guy that made me pick up the instrument in the first place so i was just concerned over his wellbeing.

If anyone can shed some light then that would be cool!

Im sure everyone here will join me in sending Mike the good vibes.

Lx

[quote name='SteveK' post='345292' date='Dec 4 2008, 12:43 PM']A couple of months back I asked Luke the same question, he told me that Mike was in a fairly bad way and was pretty much unable to venture out of his front door or pick up his bass.

Very sad![/quote]

This seems to be exactly what Simon said..

I could understand why he couldnt make the tour if its down to a hand injury, but to not be able to leave the house makes it a pretty hardcore hand injury..

Im sure Mike will fill us in in time but still, as he is the guy who inspired me, I want him to be ok!!

[quote]what's the real gen?[/quote]
Having worked a lot with Toto over the years - and more recently with Lukes band - I've got to know them [i]fairly[/i] well, and I know how protective they are of their "brothers", so it's unlikely that you'll get "the real gen"...at least from them.
Even after many Tequilas and Jagermeisters Luke didn't say much more than I posted above - he was quite obviously very sad and upset about MP's plight.

Steve

When I saw them at the Apollo in Feb 07 I noticed that Mike P looked very awkward playing and a few peopel there were discussing it. It actually looked like he was struggling with his fretting hand. So he looked uncomfortable back then.

[quote name='SteveK' post='345360' date='Dec 4 2008, 01:29 PM']Even after many Tequilas and Jagermeisters Luke didn't say much more than I posted above - he was quite obviously very sad and upset about MP's plight.[/quote]
:)

I hope its not a permanent condition but if he's isolating himself it sounds like he's maybe dealing with depression too. I hope it doesn't last too long for him, I'm sure there would be loads of support out there for him in the industry when he feels ready.

Mike is also the reason I picked up bass, so that is enough to keep him indoors!

Any info would be great - as for his awkward playing in the Apollo in Feb, I think Mike looks fairly awkward when playing anyway - his trademark 'sitting on the bog' stance looks pretty uncomfortable to me but good god can he throw those basslines about. He is definitely my fave 5 string player, his use of the B is just right.

An e-card sound like a cool idea...

Cheers
ped

[quote name='ped' post='345541' date='Dec 4 2008, 03:30 PM']Mike is also the reason I picked up bass, so that is enough to keep him indoors!

Any info would be great - as for his awkward playing in the Apollo in Feb, I think Mike looks fairly awkward when playing anyway - his trademark 'sitting on the bog' stance looks pretty uncomfortable to me but good god can he throw those basslines about. He is definitely my fave 5 string player, his use of the B is just right.

An e-card sound like a cool idea...

Cheers
ped[/quote]

I couldnt agree more! Whadda guy

Lets sort out an ecard!

yeah I think thats a great idea.

I wonder what he might make of a card signed "on behalf of the four and a half thousand members of Basschat"...? We might have to be respectful of his privacy too though. Is there any way of knowing if something like this would be welcomed by him?

Apologies for the delay in responding - had to take my 2 & 5 year olds to see Santa :huh:

I also wanted to consider the e-card idea.

I don't have Mike P's email address, so unfortunately, it would rely on a friend of a friend :) and I kinda feel uneasy about doing it.

But, there is nothing stopping anyone sending their best wishes via his forum: [url="http://www.totonetwork.com/forum/15"]MP's forum[/url]
Or dropping him an email: [url="http://www.totonetwork.com/contact"]Toto contact[/url]

If I think of anything else I'll post here.

Steve

Edited by SteveK

• 1 year later...

bad news for Mike

Former members of Toto are reforming for a brief tour this summer in Europe to honor their brother Mike Porcaro who is living with ALS (Lou Gehrig's disease). The line-up will include David Paich, Steve Lukather, Steve Porcaro, Simon Phillips, Joseph Williams and special guest, Nathan East.

:) :rolleyes: :lol:

[quote name='Pete Academy' post='896682' date='Jul 16 2010, 04:25 PM']The Porcaros haven't had much luck.[/quote]

Ain't that the truth.

I read on Talkbass that Mike has ALS [url="http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=633206"]http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=633206[/url]

Mike is still capable of smiling, according to Luke. That doesn't say much for the rest of his body functions. It's such an tragedy.

Lee Sklar was originally approached by Luke to fill the bass chair but he was already booked for the US tour with James Taylor. So Luke spoke to Nathan East instead - hence the special guest thing.

Thats tragic. A mate of ours died of Motor Neurone disease and personally I cannot think of a more horrible way to go.

Poor old Mike, he's a great bass player and the main inspiration for me for picking up a 5 string bass.

Edited by WHUFC BASS

[quote name='Luc' post='896655' date='Jul 16 2010, 03:59 PM']bad news for Mike

Former members of Toto are reforming for a brief tour this summer in Europe to honor their brother Mike Porcaro who is living with ALS (Lou Gehrig's disease). The line-up will include David Paich, Steve Lukather, Steve Porcaro, Simon Phillips, Joseph Williams and special guest, Nathan East.

:) :rolleyes: :lol:[/quote]
They are [i]currently[/i] on the road.
Did a couple of shows with them in Austria last week, and have one with them next week in Norway.
Luke looks pretty healthy, and is playing well - as usual.

I understand that all the profits from the tour will go to Mike.

• 1 year later...

I know it's an old thread, but i've just been checking out Mike's playing on youtube and it bought again what a tradegy it is that Mike is no longer playing- an amazing player.

Here's hoping he's comfortable and one day will be able to pick up a bass again, or any instrument

God Bless Mike P.

From what I've read about Lou Gehrig's disease, the prognosis is not good unfortunately. Its pretty much a death sentence although the progression apparently varies from person to person. Mike's doing really well to have lasted so far, others have gone inside three months. Lets hope he's comfortable and still managing to enjoy life.

[quote name='fender73' timestamp='1327789775' post='1516947']
I know it's an old thread, but i've just been checking out Mike's playing on youtube and it bought again what a tradegy it is that Mike is no longer playing- an amazing player.

Here's hoping he's comfortable and one day will be able to pick up a bass again, or any instrument

God Bless Mike P.
[/quote]

Just bee listening to some old Toto CD's, and i to hope he gets to play again.
He has a great feel for Music.

Garry