Why become a member? ×

Shortscale Fretless?

Quilly

1 hour ago, Quilly said:

Hi All

Has anyone ever played a short scale fretless? I imagine its a little less forgiving regarding intonation accuracy? 

I play a Rob Allen Mouse 30 and I actually find it easier than a longer scale fretless. I played fretless very occasionally and never in a band situation until I got the Mouse but now it is my main bass in band and writing situations, I never pick up a fretted bass unless playing older songs. Where are you? You are welcome to try mine out.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Frank Blank said:

I play a Rob Allen Mouse 30 and I actually find it easier than a longer scale fretless. I played fretless very occasionally and never in a band situation until I got the Mouse but now it is my main bass in band and writing situations, I never pick up a fretted bass unless playing older songs. Where are you? You are welcome to try mine out.

Hi Frank, Im in Ireland , but I saw this lovely bass online. I owned a fretless in the past and I miss it. I was looking for a shorty as I play in very small venues.https://eastwoodguitars.com/products/classic-4-fretless

A friend of mine has small collection of no name shortscale basses of various retro designs including an unlined shortscale fretless.

It did throw me a bit the first time I played it, not helped by the fact that it was my first time on a short scale bass.

As on a 34" scale bass, the closer the 'frets' are together the more noticeable fretting hand intonation errors become.  So I did find the shortscale a bit more unforgiving than my own 34" lined Sire fretless but I reckon it's nothing that couldn't be overcome with a bit more time spent playing that instrument.

Edited by Cato

14 hours ago, Quilly said:

I read up on the Eastwood bass and the dot markers are where they would be on a fretted bass (ie not on the fret lines ) this isn’t ideal at all. (Would be better off with no dot markers)

Thanks - I have previously tried contacting Eastwood to ask about dot marker positions on some of their fretless instruments but they couldn't be bothered to reply to me.
Definitely one to avoid if the dots are positioned like that.

9 hours ago, ead said:

@eude

Any views on this my friend?

I play 31.5" basses, and have a couple of fretless examples.

I've not really found any intonation issues to be honest. I went shorter for comfort reasons, and I guess my intonation might be better as I find the shorter scale less of a stretch allowing me to have a more natural hand position and hopefully better technique as a result. Less things to worry about means you can focus better on the tricky stuff.

I wouldn't be put off trying a short scale fretless at all, you get used to whatever you play, that's what I've found anyway.

I would certainly make sure your dots are on the fret lines though as mentioned above, that makes life a lot easier!

Eude

• Like 1