Why become a member? ×

Bass 101 Question

Drums and Bass

10 hours ago, fleabag said:

Fraid not SB

Shame.  I still think it sounds like fun though.  Good on yer.

10 hours ago, chris_b said:

Go and look at the Scott Devine video I posted at the start and see what "properly" means.

Shan't.

I'm one of those who can't stand authority figures who are sure they are right and everything else is somehow not valid.  I have no need to suffer the righteousness of zealous teachers any more - so there.

While I respect Scott's expertise as a teacher, I can't conform.  Having the highest IQ in most of the schools that I attended, I never could.  The handicap to it was that teachers saw me as a vehicle to advance their own careers.

I realised that when one of my secondary school teachers tried to earn geek points from the fact that I had learned the first three years worth of the Vocational School syllabus for tech drawing, metalwork and art in a single year.  I passed with good grades while maintaining the grades in my established subjects.  I mean to say; who had to do the work?  Her or me?

Sorry.  There is nothing wrong with what you say.  It just doesn't work for me.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

I actually spent some time looking at my fretting hand at tonight's gig. It would seem I use a baseball bat grip most of the time, switching to thumb for more intricate bits or stuff on the E string. It's not something I concisely do.

IMHO if it's comfortable, doesn't cause any stresses and allows you to play all of the notes you intend to, in the places they are supposed to be, then do what comes naturally. I've never had a bass lesson in my life and have been playing regularly for 34 years injury free. I probably have a sloppy technique. I could probably play slightly faster with training. I have fun though and get enough positive comments to stroke my ego occasionally. 

Having said that, lessons are so much more accessible these days. If I was starting afresh today I'd probably have some 

• Like 1

That's right, last I heard, you could still book lessons with Carol Kaye, over Skype!

How cool would that be??

"Oh, so I hear you're having bass lessons?"

"Yeah, with Carol Kaye"

"Really!? Carol Kaye! Oh my word... excuse me, I think I put my drink down somewhere"

"yeah, that's right... run away, ya jive a** mother'******"

I'd have to get me a jazz haircut... 😁

Edited by Ricky 4000
  • Haha 1

On 29/12/2018 at 01:50, Norris said:

I actually spent some time looking at my fretting hand at tonight's gig. It would seem I use a baseball bat grip most of the time, switching to thumb for more intricate bits or stuff on the E string. It's not something I concisely do.

IMHO if it's comfortable, doesn't cause any stresses and allows you to play all of the notes you intend to, in the places they are supposed to be, then do what comes naturally. I've never had a bass lesson in my life and have been playing regularly for 34 years injury free. I probably have a sloppy technique. I could probably play slightly faster with training. I have fun though and get enough positive comments to stroke my ego occasionally. 

Having said that, lessons are so much more accessible these days. If I was starting afresh today I'd probably have some 

I did the exact same thing last night and like you I used both styles as different songs lend themselves to either technique.  Rebel Rebel or Jumping Jack Flash are great to play thumb style but something like Ever Fallen in Love or Valerie are better bat style.

The injury point is important as I was overusing the thumb style and it was starting to make my tendons sore.  I'm not sure if that's because I'm doing it wrong or just because I'm a massive tart who needs extra practice to build up stamina!

That said I gigged for the first time last night with my self built kit bass which has a thicker neck than my other bass and I found the thumb style grip much easier to maintain.

5 hours ago, Unknown_User said:

The injury point is important as I was overusing the thumb style and it was starting to make my tendons sore. 

I'd have a professional set up done on your basses. I use a Sadowsky which I thought was pretty easy to play, until I had it set up at the Gallery. It was so much better to play when it came back.

I've been playing 5-strings for the last ten years or so, which due to the width means I've played with my thumb somewhere on the back of the neck, fingers at right angles to the strings. Have just started playing 4-strings again, and with a very slim-necked Warwick, I find that my thumb wanders round to the side of the neck on occasion. I haven't gone to the extremes that you can see Sting doing though.