Why become a member? ×

4 bolt Fender neck

Mr Fudge

Is it neck on body (wood to wood) and then the 4 screws and plate. No other washers, bolts, pins etc...

If have never done this before and I dont really want to take of a neck of one of my jazz's just to satisfy my curiosity. Im fitting a jazz neck to a p body if anyone has anything else to add.

cheers.

[quote name='Mr Fudge' post='344178' date='Dec 3 2008, 02:42 PM']Is it neck on body (wood to wood) and then the 4 screws and plate. No other washers, bolts, pins etc...

If have never done this before and I dont really want to take of a neck of one of my jazz's just to satisfy my curiosity. Im fitting a jazz neck to a p body if anyone has anything else to add.

cheers.[/quote]

Yes- just 4 screws and a plate. Nothing else.

That's craftmanship eh? :)

[quote name='Mr Fudge' post='344178' date='Dec 3 2008, 04:42 PM']Is it neck on body (wood to wood) and then the 4 screws and plate. No other washers, bolts, pins etc...

cheers.[/quote]

spot on mate,it's a doddle,just slap it on & don't worry about it.
don't go too mental when you tighten the screws up though,just do 'em nice & firm.

Stick a bit of wood glue on the screws. It won't glue em in, but the glue will harden on the wood and add some protection to the wood the next time you take the neck off.

ie, when you shim it!

BTW, getting the screws in and out is much easier and I've found less damaging all round with a power tool rather than a screwdriver.

[quote name='bigjohn' post='345310' date='Dec 4 2008, 12:53 PM']Stick a bit of wood glue on the screws. It won't glue em in, but the glue will harden on the wood and add some protection to the wood the next time you take the neck off.

ie, when you shim it![/quote]

That sounds like a Top Tip (and I don't mean in the Viz sense...). Anyone else tried it?

[quote name='Mr Fudge' post='344178' date='Dec 3 2008, 02:42 PM']Is it neck on body (wood to wood) and then the 4 screws and plate. No other washers, bolts, pins etc...

cheers.[/quote]

what are you doing with the p neck?

cheers.[/quote]

Just be careful getting the neck out of the pocket - don't want to chip the paint. Then again it's a Fender - you should be fine :)

[quote name='Mr Fudge' post='345524' date='Dec 4 2008, 03:15 PM']Don't have a P neck. Basically I bought a body only and Im adding from there. That why I having been asking anal questions for the last week or so. :)[/quote]

Ok thanks
just wondered if it was for sale

[quote name='Dr.Dave' post='344193' date='Dec 3 2008, 03:49 PM']There's a nice shiny plastic pocket 'twixt plate and body on posh ones like mine - and a piece of Embassy Regal packet in the neck pocket adjusting the neck angle. That's pre-CBS fag packet which I'll sell to any of you for 8 grand.[/quote]

Embassy Regal?? Get a proper bass. My Jazz has got a lump of a Dunhill packet under the neck joint.

Edited by leschirons

[quote name='martthebass' post='345369' date='Dec 4 2008, 01:38 PM']Just be careful getting the neck out of the pocket - don't want to chip the paint. Then again it's a Fender - you should be fine :)[/quote]
You mean that as all the paint will drop off in a couple of weeks anyway, it doesn't really matter?