Why become a member? ×

fender strings

bassmansky

having read a few posts on here about strings no one barely mentions fender strings is it cos they are not very good?am looking to replace my rotosound swing bass set but no idea what to buy.play a fender j bass but want more of a presicion sound.(just use neck pup)tryed a squire classic vibe a few weeks ago and the strings on that felt soft and sounded good,would they have been fender?need strings to be smoother than my rotosounds which imo are rough.cheers.

I've used Fender strings for years, not necessarily due to prefering them, but I had a friend in the trade who always gave me a few sets whenever we got together. Lost touch in recent years and have now used up all my supplies.

I recently purchased a couple of sets of rotosounds and have to say I'm not hugely impressed. I feel that they sound a bit too twangy when first fitted. sound ok once settled in and played for a couple of rehearsals and then very quickly sound dull, especially after a gig. This may be down to my sweaty mits, although I always take care to regularly wipe down the strings.

The fender strings didn't seem as harsh on the fingers and sounded zingier for longer.

Sorry, not a very technical reply, but I'm sure someone else will be along with a more detailed explanation.

Cheers, Gary.

I have used Fender 7250-5L five string lights (.40-.115) for seven or eight years on my Carvin Bolt 5 fretted and fretless basses. They are long lasting, sound good without being overly bright, and seem to bring out the good qualities of the basses. I also have a set of tapewound strings on my fretless P Bass and a set of original Nickels on my Jazz Bass. No complaints here. :)
I do not care for their flatwounds or stainless strings, however.

I was using gold Optima strings until I broke one. I went into my bag and found the set of strings that came with my '51 reisue P bass that i sold over a year ago and put them on.

Surprisingly they were really good but lower tension than the Optimas. May have a look at the Fender website to see what goes on these and then order a gauge up from there