Why become a member? ×

4 X 10 AND 1 X 15

slystewart

I use an Ampeg SVT 2 Pro with a PR SVT 4 X 10 Cab belived to be 4 ohms was looking at adding a 1 x 15" speaker that i have seen this seems to be 8 ohms...would i be right when using the 2 cabs to set the amp to 2 ohms...also for users out there of the 2 cabs is it best to put the 1 x 15 cab made by Orange on the floor with the 4 10s on the top most seem to use it this way.

Edited by slystewart

It sounds strange a 4x10 cabinet with 4 ohms impedance... It could happen, but 95% of them are 8 ohms. You can check it by connecting a cable to the cabinet and using a multimeter on the other side, if it reads around 6ohms that means it is actually a 8ohms cabinet.

I may be wrong, but I think if you connect 2 cabs with different impedance values, most of the power will run through the lowest impedance cab.

And yes, mount the 4x10 above the 1x15, that will give you more low end and better perception of mid range frequencies.

[quote name='Fraktal' post='342109' date='Dec 1 2008, 05:11 PM']I may be wrong, but I think if you connect 2 cabs with different impedance values, most of the power will run through the lowest impedance cab.[/quote]

I've found in the past that unless you have some form of active crossover, plugging a 1x15 and a 4x10 into the outputs of your amp results in the 4x10 blasting out and the 1x15 being barely audible and to be quite honest, you get little if any (depending on the cab) extra bottom end using a 1x15 with a 4x10

[quote name='Fraktal' post='342109' date='Dec 1 2008, 05:11 PM']It sounds strange a 4x10 cabinet with 4 ohms impedance... It could happen, but 95% of them are 8 ohms.[/quote]

I believe you'll find (if you do some surfing) that most speaker manufacturers now will offer their cabinets in both 4 and 8 ohms. Even eden have got of ftheir high horse and produce a 4 ohm 410XST. From my reading today I've so far only found Trace elliot not providing a 4 ohm. Haven't checked the likes of ashdown yet - I've only been looking at kit that sounds good :)

I meant to add, if you're using cabinets with a diffferent number of drivers then the one with fewer speakers should really have a higher impedance so all the drivers theoretically get the same power - assuming you're running two parallel outputs from your amp.

e.g. if your amp puts out 400watts into 4 ohms / 200w into 8ohms, run a 4 ohm 4x10 and an 8ohm 2x10 so all the drivers get 100watts.

[quote name='bassman2790' post='342585' date='Dec 1 2008, 08:11 PM']I've found in the past that unless you have some form of active crossover, plugging a 1x15 and a 4x10 into the outputs of your amp results in the 4x10 blasting out and the 1x15 being barely audible and to be quite honest, you get little if any (depending on the cab) extra bottom end using a 1x15 with a 4x10[/quote]More to the point, the reason for using four tens is to get adequate bottom. If you have a fifteen providing the bottom then even two tens is more than enough to handle the frequency range where they work best. The optimal arrangement would be a 1x15 on the bottom and a 1x10 on the top, using either a passive or active crossover to assign bandwidths.

[quote name='jacko' post='344535' date='Dec 3 2008, 06:42 PM']I believe you'll find (if you do some surfing) that most speaker manufacturers now will offer their cabinets in both 4 and 8 ohms. Even eden have got of ftheir high horse and produce a 4 ohm 410XST. From my reading today I've so far only found Trace elliot not providing a 4 ohm. Haven't checked the likes of ashdown yet - I've only been looking at kit that sounds good :)[/quote]

Saved you the trouble of looking at kit that doesn't sound good, nevermind you actually hearing any of it :huh:

Classic range: 4 and 8 ohm
Current ABM: 8 ohm only (there is an older 4 ohm version though)
MAG: 8 ohm only
US: 4 and 8 ohm

[quote name='Protium' post='344784' date='Dec 3 2008, 09:19 PM']Saved you the trouble of looking at kit that doesn't sound good, nevermind you actually hearing any of it :huh:[/quote]

Oh I've heard and used plenty Ashdown kit - it's a bit like marmite on this forum. love it or hate it . Nowt in between :)

If I post a simple question, could everyone please refrain from responding "Read the WIKI" or "Google It"? :huh:

If I want to run a 4-Ohm Eden head through two 8-Ohm Eden speakers, a 115 and a 210, exactly how do I set about introducing a crossover, what sort of crossover should it be, where should it sit in the rig and/or signal chain, and will I really hear the difference?

OK, it's a LONG question, but it's still simple, OK?

Ta very muchly.

:)

[quote name='Happy Jack' post='345394' date='Dec 4 2008, 08:57 AM']If I post a simple question, could everyone please refrain from responding "Read the WIKI" or "Google It"? :huh:

If I want to run a 4-Ohm Eden head through two 8-Ohm Eden speakers, a 115 and a 210, exactly how do I set about introducing a crossover, what sort of crossover should it be, where should it sit in the rig and/or signal chain, and will I really hear the difference?

OK, it's a LONG question, but it's still simple, OK?

Ta very muchly.

:)[/quote]You either need to install a passive crossover between the amp and the cabs or use an active crossover and bi-amp. You might not hear all that much difference, with commercial cabs it's probably more trouble than it's worth. The main benefit to a crossover is that by removing the low frequencies from the top cab that top cab can be reduced in size by about 75%. It also allows using smaller drivers in the top cab, eights or even sixes, which have far better mids and highs than tens. Doing it right requires that the system be configured as a system from the ground up.

This is probably too late to help but ..................
the eden wt600/wt800 series amps have stereo amps built in which will run full range or bi-amp to your cabs.
the balance control will graduate how much power you assign to either cab.You can also decide at what point you want the frequencies to split.
I don`t know which eden amp you have though!

regards

[quote name='jhk' post='346776' date='Dec 5 2008, 08:40 PM']the eden wt600/wt800 series amps have stereo amps built in which will run full range or bi-amp to your cabs.
the balance control will graduate how much power you assign to either cab.You can also decide at what point you want the frequencies to split.
I don`t know which eden amp you have though!

regards[/quote]

I run a WTX-260, which doesn't have that capability. Can't really move to a WT800 or similar because I already have a main rig with pre- and power amps.

Good suggestion, though. Thanks.