Why become a member? ×

Show your Ric Inspired Builds

Gilmourisgod

New amateur Builder here on Basschat. I've been posting on Talkbass for a few years, seen some amazing UK and European builds over there, figured I check out what's happening over here. Ive never posted photos here yet, so this is an experiment......That works!!

Here we have a Ric 4004/4003 inspired build in walnut and rock maple. This was my first experience binding a headstock, nerve-wracking, but I'm really happy with the result. 

z0DiOiL.jpg

qN1KGlM.jpg

mnXKfLb.jpg

A fair way from finished, as you can see. Still the whole fingerboard and neck process to complete, but the gist is there. 

Edited by Gilmourisgod
  • Like 7

We'll see what happen, I guess. These are one-off builds for personal use, not sale, so as far as I know, that's perfectly legal under US copyright, not sure about UK. You can paint a copy of a Van Gogh and hang it on your wall, but if you try to sell it..... There must be 20 similar Ric inspired personal builds on US Talkbass, no negative words from Rickenbacker so far. I'll understand if the moderators want to pull the thread, no harm done. In the meantime, here's one I finished last year, a 4003 clone in Jetglo finish with checker binding. Sorry for the crappy photos, anybody interested in the whole wretched slog of a 4-year build thread can check it out here:

https://www.talkbass.com/threads/the-hossenfeffer-bass-build.1102535/#post-16376432

NiSopfp.jpg

pfcyfC0.jpg

ojQyVWc.jpg?1

tsAPSoO.jpg

VNAuAFh.jpg

It differs from a genuine Ric in a  few ways, one DA trussrod, a volute at the headstock/neck joint, dowel reinforced construction at the wings, fully shielded, etc. The goal was to re-create a 4001 bass I once owned, with some technical improvements and, of course, checker binding. As expected, it sounds.... like a Ric, not surprising since the pups are OEM Ric standard hi-gain. Also bought the electronics harness from Pick of the Ricks, who buys them from Rickenbacker Inc and marks them up, so Rickenbacker Inc. has already had a bit of profit from me in parts alone. I will NEVER sell either of these basses, the Walnut one will be a college graduation present for my son.  

Edited by Gilmourisgod
more to add
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, TheGreek said:

3_Midsummer_fire_at_San_river%2C_Trepcza_%28Sanok%29.jpg

52 minutes ago, Gilmourisgod said:

??? Is that good or bad? My work is firewood, Rics are firewood, this topic will go up in flames? 

No disrespect meant about your work @Gilmourisgod......no respect for Rics though.

Bonfire Night here in the UK on November 5th - anybody with a spare Ric for fuel for our Bonfire??

NB: 

The views and opinions expressed here represent my own and not those of the people or organization that is Basschat.co.uk.

Also, my thoughts and opinions change from time to time as I come to learn more and develop my understanding about the things and issues that I am posting about. This post just provides a snapshot of the knowledge, views, and opinions that I hold at a particular point of time and these may change over a period of time. I reserve the right to evolve my knowledge, thoughts, and viewpoints over time and to change them without assigning any reason.

Edited by TheGreek
  • Haha 2

I LOVE that first one!!! The black one is also very nice.

Ric management seem to have rubbed people up the wrong way with their extreme brand protection. Just look at the sub-forums here with all the “Ric free zone” disclaimers - they seem to  threaten everyone they deem as infringing with legal action I think.

You probably knew that though!

2 hours ago, TheGreek said:

No disrespect meant about your work @Gilmourisgod......no respect for Rics though.

Bonfire Night here in the UK on November 5th - anybody with a spare Ric for fuel for our Bonfire??

Ha! To each their own, I'll be tossing a few T-Birds and P-Basses into the flames while you watch the Rics burn!

13 hours ago, Pea Turgh said:

I LOVE that first one!!! The black one is also very nice.

Ric management seem to have rubbed people up the wrong way with their extreme brand protection. Just look at the sub-forums here with all the “Ric free zone” disclaimers - they seem to  threaten everyone they deem as infringing with legal action I think.

You probably knew that though!

No Rickenbacker Corporate worshiper here,  The Dark Lord is an arrogant dude, and really could care less what customers think as long as sales continue apace. Their CS and QC kinda suck, particularly lately, what with basses having clearcoat peeling off them willy-nilly,  another reason I decided to build my own, I have only myself to blame, and believe me, I know where every flaw is on the black one, however miniscule, and I OWN them. I'm hoping this thread will generate some creative Ric INSPIRED build examples, no desire to rile people up about Rickenbacker, that's somebody else's thread! I didn't build a Rickenbacker, I built a Hossenfeffer. 

Edited by Gilmourisgod
Peace and happiness
  • Like 2

Welcome Mr Gilmourisgod, nice to see you here, I've long admired these builds on TB and have been missing them, I'm glad to see them again :)

I like Rics, a good one is a joy I've always thought, much in common with the Tbirds I love so much. Having seen these builds all the way through I have no doubt these will be exceptional instruments, the workmanship that has gone into them is second to none. Obviously not fakes or even vaguely pretending to be, just plain lovely

• Like 1

Well met, Christine, was just checking out your triple build thread, very nice, per usual. After the hottest summer I can remember on Cape Cod, during which my shared shop was unbearable, and a hectic fall, I’m itching to get back to work on the Walnut Ric, gonna try “sparkle” crushed MOP inlays on this one, we’ll see how it goes! 

• Like 1

Those 2 builds are simply beautiful.

I can barely cut a piece of paper in a straight line with a guillotine, so have huge admiration for the skills required to make a guitar like those.

The shape of these models are my favourite, but I've never found one I like to play once they're in my hand. Perhaps I need to play one of yours 😁

Anyway, lovely job @Gilmourisgod

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

You may have to wait a while, it was gutted by fire in June, sadly.  Like Old Slapper, I can't even cut straight to always stand in awe of people with the skills to carry out these builds and your Ric is absolutely beautiful.  

I've never played a Ric, not even picked one up.  I had a Jolana copy for a short while but that was a copy in shape only.  I absolutely love the look of them.