Why become a member? ×

Its arrived ampeg pf20t

Twincam

I'm excited! First bit of kit ive been excited about for a good while. 

I've coveted one since they came out. Had to ask my girlfriend's permission, since she was eyeing something up. I cant wait to show her and talk incessantly about it's valve tone, she will be well impressed. 

Does anyone know around about what the factory delivery time is? i ordered via Kennys. Says allow up to 7 days, but hoping I get it Now! Haha

Edited by Twincam

Mine came in about 4 days. 

They are rubbish. Terrible. Absolutely awful. Sound tinny, scratchy and completely not like an Ampeg at all. They are poorly built, fragile, and flimsy. 

;)

Of course, I lie. They are excellent - very usable valve tone, brilliant DI output options, and they are built like the proverbial brick s**t house. I'd hate to drop one on my foot.. 

Edited by Bridgehouse
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

I recently ordered the PF50t.  It took only a few days to arrive.  Used it properly for the first time yesterday at rehearsal.  Sounded great, especially when you dig in and all the valvey goodness comes out of the speaker.

Personally, unless it's just a home/studio amp, I would cancel the order and upgrade to the PF50t for the extra £130. Otherwise you will struggle to be heard in a band.

Edited by pbasspecial
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, The59Sound said:

I would have thought even 50w for valve heads would be pushing it to be heard in a band. 

I bought mine purely for studio/recording - they aren't 'do it all' amps - but for the right purpose they are excellent.

The 50 might just cut it, but the 20 probably wouldn't in most band situations.

It's only for home use and to feel all warm and fuzzy, basking in valve warmth lol. Seriously though I do prefer the warmer, slightly compressed tone of valve.

Last valve amp I had was a 15w wem dominator bass mk2, ok for home and recording use. Seriously loud and small gig worthy with a guitar though.

3 hours ago, The59Sound said:

I would have thought even 50w for valve heads would be pushing it to be heard in a band. 

Depends on the band.  It was fine last night but are a bluesy, souly, funky thing.  I guess if you play in a 2 guitar, Marshall stack metal band then you'd be buggered. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, pbasspecial said:

Depends on the band.  It was fine last night but are a bluesy, souly, funky thing.  I guess if you play in a 2 guitar, Marshall stack metal band then you'd be buggered. 

Yep, my Pf-50t has only been out for one gig so far (being a recent acquisition), but did just fine through a pair of 12"s with drums, brass and guitarist with a Fender Blues Junior.  The master was less than halfway up and it didn't seem too close to running out of steam.  I think the midrange voicing of these amps helps with making the most of their output, as they're not really scooped unless you use the ultra-low switch. 

• Like 1

I've been using the PF50t since I first heard of it, a few months after it was released. It's hands down my favourite head that I have ever owned and it keeps up ALWAYS across the 4 bands I play with. I've owned everything from practice amps to vintage heads to class D and loads more - this wins hands down. I hope the 20T is great too.

• Like 1

Well the amp arrived next day, great service.

Can't really play it to loudly, but did have a little go at low volume. 

Sounds good so far. Only going through a 1x10 sealed cab with tweeter. But has plenty of bass and seemed like it will have plenty of volume for my needs. 

Gain wasn't as much as I thought, 2 band sr eq didn't overload it as I feared. Although pushing things I could get a very pleasant overdrive, though volume was right down. Seems like it's the perfect wattage to get those tones without annoying the neighbours too much lol. 

Seems very well built. Slightly larger than I imagined.

No unusual hum. You can hear the actual transformer if you put your ear right next to it. And nothing unusual coming from the speaker. One of the quieter all valve amps I've heard. So pleased there. 

2 hours ago, Twincam said:

Seems very well built. Slightly larger than I imagined.

I found this myself when I first saw a Portaflex head in the flesh. Somehow the photos of these amps online don’t give an impression of their scale! Still, they look and feel solid as you say, which is reassuring in itself.

Edited by CameronJ

2 hours ago, chris_b said:

The amp section of the portaflex was an elegant, even beautiful, piece of design.

I'm sure they will sound good, but it's a shame Ampeg weren't in the same frame of mind when they designed these amps.

I get the impression they chose to make these look a bit more utilitarian, both to save on fancy potted transformers and chrome plating, and to differentiate them from the Heritage line. 

25 minutes ago, Beer of the Bass said:

I get the impression they chose to make these look a bit more utilitarian, both to save on fancy potted transformers and chrome plating, and to differentiate them from the Heritage line. 

Yeah. The "Massey-Ferguson" school of amp design!

Had more time with the amp.

Lovely harmonics and sustain. More volume than I need for home use and that's through a sealed 1x10. Nice eq easy to use, obviously has a baked in "Ampeg" tone. So maybe not for everyone. I think it's fantastic. 

Compared to my previous low watt valve bass amps (Wem dominator bass mk2 & Traynor bassmate), it's far more refined, with more bass, less floor noise. But then again it's modern so would expect so. The Traynor was a fantastic little amp, The pf20t is better.