Why become a member? ×

Spector fans!?!

thundachopz

1 hour ago, Al Krow said:

Typical eh - you can only get soapbar format for the 5 string Euro LX! 

But that's the point really - with the 40 housing you can pretty much do any format, DC, TW, JJ, PJ, PP or whatever suits you. 

But truth be told you are right in that I would love to have a classic looking PJ 5 string.

Or a 5 string version of my Euro1977. That thing is a monster and find myself playing it almost everyday. That must be a custom shop thingy though and I'm not ready to pay to dollar for that.....

4 hours ago, cetera said:

I believe all new models are currently delayed (due to Covid-19 etc). I'm still waiting on the new Euro Classic range to hit the UK. Need to try a solid red Euro Classic with EMG BT circuit... ;)

That and the white 5 string classic, too. And a 1979LE

I really don't need any more Spectors.

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, AndyTravis said:

Think black or chrome hardware would have to happen though.

I kinda like the gold. It shouldnt work with the blue, but somehow does. Although my taste and style has gone out of the window this year!

29 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

@Paulhauser thanks for sharing those tracks - enjoyed them both, particularly Roll Out. Bronski Beat meets Whitesnake! 

And fantastic that you guys have a recording contract. 

Hey, I thank you for taking the time to listen and giving me feedback, I appreciate it!  We've just submitted the record yesterday and will come out in mid-July. 
The style is pretty much like these songs, rock, metal, electronica etc mixed and all with clean vocals. I'll share it once available. Thanks again! 

On 15/06/2020 at 18:10, Eldon Tyrell said:

Me too. Would be great to check out the new Euro Classic (in red of course).

The new Euro LT in fade black with the Fishman Fluence pickups also seems to arrive soon, but check out the price: £ 2,719 😭 Who is going to pay that much for a Euro???

https://www.andertons.co.uk/bass-dept/bass-guitars/spector-bass-euro-4lt-black-fade-gloss

Well, looks like I won't get one for my self-made Mike Inez signature bass after all. Does anyone have a Euro LX TW for me? 

Update: Looks like the £2,719 for the Euro LT with the Fishman pickups and system is the list price and the retail price will be more like £2,300. Well, in my view this is still way too much for a Czech made Euro. I still remember how people complained about the new EBMM Stingray Specials costing 2k. These are made in California, one of the most expensive states in the US (e.g., the minimum wage in Cal is almost 4x times the min wage in CZ). Yes, the LT has the fancy FF pickups and preamp and a toggle switch but that does not justify £700 more than a Euro LX and £400 more than a regular LT. 

Guess I have to wait for a TW to show up on the used market 😒

It is a punchy price, but a USA made Spector will set you back double that! And also need to factor in the £: € exchange rate is 15% less than it was 3 years back, when the older stock were being made and sourced. Tbf I really don't think a European or Brit is going to be any less capable of making a great bass than his US counterpart?

Having said all that, if you can get a decent one used that's gotta be a plan!

2 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

It is a punchy price, but a USA made Spector will set you back double that! And also need to factor in the £: € exchange rate is 15% less than it was 3 years back, when the older stock were being made and sourced. Tbf I really don't think a European or Brit is going to be any less capable of making a great bass than his US counterpart?

Having said all that, if you can get a decent one used that's gotta be a plan!

Of course I was not trying to give the impression that the US builders are better than the ones in CZ. The CZ has a very long tradition of making excellent instruments, not only basses. It was more a cost argument, esp.  in comparison to the complaints about the 2k for a new Stingray Special, knowing that Cal is a very, very expensive place to do business (and to live). 

2 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

The fairer comparison on price would be the US NS2 then? 

I guess the fairest would be to compare the LT with FF pickups/preamp to the recently launched LT with Bartolini/Darkglass. Is the former £400 worth more than the latter? I would say no but in the end it will be to the market to decide. Maybe people will go for it, maybe not. Maybe retailers will have to lower the price. We'll see. The new LT also started with £2,050 and is now down to £1,899. Another example: G&L's Fallout bass started with £1,749 and is now down to £1,299. It really is the good old demand&supply and maybe there will be enough demand for a LT with the FF for £2.3k. Well, it won't be me and in best Dragon's Den manner: "I am out" 😎 

13 hours ago, Eldon Tyrell said:

Sorry, could not resist. Sneak preview. Look what's hopefully arriving tomorrow. Cannot wait!!! 😎

1297561986_SpectorForte4BlackStain.jpg.9de41490c7cad58b9d2d9576cb22af9e.jpg

@Eldon Tyrell That's a beauty! A US NS4, yes? Realise you might not even have it yet, but I'd be interested to know how the sound differs to the NS2 P/J pickup configuration?

Where did you get it, out of interest? I've been scouring the UK shops for the last few months for a US NS2/4, and no one seems to have them at the moment...

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, bakerster135 said:

@Eldon Tyrell That's a beauty! A US NS4, yes? Realise you might not even have it yet, but I'd be interested to know how the sound differs to the NS2 P/J pickup configuration?

Where did you get it, out of interest? I've been scouring the UK shops for the last few months for a US NS2/4, and no one seems to have them at the moment...

Thank you! It is a US Forte 4. Unfortunately, I do not possess a NS2.  @cetera may be able to answer your sound difference question.  

I ordered it from Bass Direct back in January. I got all my Spectors from BD. Great variety (BTW, they currently also have a very nice Forte 4 with PJ config in stock).

8 minutes ago, cetera said:

A US Forte NS4..... nice score!
Looks like Bass Direct.... am I right?

What are the pickups? DC or 35P4 and 35J?

Yes, it is Bass Direct. Well spotted.

The pickups should be EMG 35DCX humbuckers. Will hopefully find out later today. I actually haven't seen or played the bass in person yet. The photo BD sent me is all I've got so far (that's why I called it a sneak preview). Just hope it will arrive undamaged. My last deliveries from other retailers had issues, so fingers crossed!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Eldon Tyrell said:

Yes, it is Bass Direct. Well spotted.

The pickups should be EMG 35DCX humbuckers.

The DC/DCX soapbars have a huge sound all of their own. If, however, you miss the classic Spector PJ sound you can easily change them to 35P4(X) and 35J(X) should you require thanks to the click & connect system on current EMG pickups....
Some people seem to like the mixed combination of a P4(X) soapbar in the neck with a DC(X) too...

Enjoy!!

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, bakerster135 said:

that's a beauty! A US NS4, yes? Realise you might not even have it yet, but I'd be interested to know how the sound differs to the NS2 P/J pickup configuration?

I currently own a NS2, used to have a NS4 a few years ago. I can only speak "as far as I remember" but I find the NS2 more snarly/dirty/mid dominant/thin while the NS4 sounded more scooped/clean and big to me. They both have the nice Spector highs which in my opinion is the main characteristic of the Spector sound. I used to find the NS4 too hifi/clean sometimes. I dislike the sound of the NS2 in a tube amp (too agressive/dirty) for my taste.

I could own any of the 2.. They are both amazing. I cried the NS4 for years and I finally re-joined the Spector club a few months ago.

Edited by julfam
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, julfam said:

I could own any of the 2.. They are both amazing. I cried the NS4 for years and I finally re-joined the Spector club a few months ago.

...and you re-joined the club with one of the best looking Spector basses I have ever seen 🥰

• Thanks 1

Thanks 🙂 I love it too! I waited quite a bit to find the one, and at the right price... and I must say I found it!

oh almost forgot that I actually have another Spector, more low key. A Coda USA, one of the first ones (#50). Great one, just totally different style 😉

D78EFCBF-FABC-4083-A137-53E928464345.jpeg

Edited by julfam
  • Like 2

15 minutes ago, julfam said:

Thanks 🙂 I love it too! I waited quite a bit to find the one, and at the right price... and I must say I found it!

oh almost forgot that I actually have another Spector, more low key. A Coda USA, one of the first ones (#50). Great one, just totally different style 😉

D78EFCBF-FABC-4083-A137-53E928464345.jpeg

Can’t find a pic of your other one - what is it?

• Haha 1