Why become a member? ×

Spector fans!?!

thundachopz

On 13/07/2020 at 16:50, Eldon Tyrell said:

I am sure they mean the new LT with the Fishman pickups as the Black Fade/Faded black model comes with both Fishman pickups and preamp. It is a limited edition and only 50 were made: 

Check from 3:13. Interestingly, the prototype looks quite different from the actually released bass. I think the actual bass looks much, much better as the prototype had a "naked" back. The specs also differ from the other LTs (red, blue, tiger eye and violet). Andertons probably just copied and pasted the text from the normal LT (it also says gold hardware and Darkglass preamp) and currently shows the official list price. B&M show the NAMM prototype but also give the wrong specs. Again a case of copy& paste. https://www.bandm.co.uk/spector-bass-euro-4lt-black-fade-gloss.html

From https://bassmusicianmagazine.com/2020/01/spector-bass-model-updates-and-signature-models-for-namm-2020/

Euro LT – Faded Black – Limited Edition

• Limited Edition Euro LT
  • Figured Maple top; Weight-relived Paulownia body
  • Ebony Fingerboard; Fishman Fluence Pickups & Circuit

4-String – MAP $2,599.99
5-String – MAP $2,699.99

From Spector:

https://www.facebook.com/OfficialSpector/posts/new-for-2020-the-spector-euro-lt-faded-black-limited-edition-last-year-spector-d/10158208184954206/

Just found out on TB that only 20 of the Fishman Euro LTs were actually made (they mentioned 50 at NAMM) and they are not planning to make them again. Cool, glad I got one. I was already thinking of selling it (chunky neck). Definitely keeping it now in my bass vault 😎

7 hours ago, Eldon Tyrell said:

Spector fans, what's happening? I finally got the gold bridge for the 77 (after almost 7 months! I already got the gold tuners). I know from the "what puts you off" thread that several members don't like gold hardware; however, I think it fits this bass perfectly. It really goes very well with the brown of the walnut wings and the beige of the maple neck. 

Before:

746134965_SpectorEuro1977LE.thumb.jpg.96415023181c1c4eb72c20634b5eba33.jpg

After:

1388135685_SpectorEuro1977LEGold.thumb.jpg.c2d8c2060bc3034296161e885ef906d0.jpg

Update: Ok, I adjusted the saddle height and intonation on the new gold bridge; however, I am now getting a loud humming sound. Very uncool. Looks like a grounding issue as the humming goes away as soon as I touch the bridge. I had already noticed that the new gold bridge is much lighter than the previous chrome one. Maybe that has something to do with it? For humming issues caused by the bridge, someone on TB suggested putting a folded piece of metal foil between the ground wires and the bridge. Do you think that would work? Any specific metal I should get? Cheers.  

Kitchen foil works well enough.  It's aluminium so very conductive.  Maybe scrape a bit of the colour off the bottom of the bridge.  Whatever the plating is to give the gold finish it will probably have a varnish coating over it.

• Thanks 1

The aluminium foil worked. Put in two layers and that stopped the humming. Thanks again 👍

As mentioned, the new gold bridge feels so much lighter than the original chrome one. I now weighted them both and look at the the difference. The gold bridge weighs less than half of the chrome one! Can this be true? I mean, is the gold bridge genuine? Does anyone know of fake Spector bridges?

1119129250_GoldBridge.thumb.jpg.510e2ed7e3be011c8c0bdb92ed8a954e.jpg 21669878_ChromeBridge.thumb.jpg.97105228a66f0654492449ebbcad79a1.jpg

48 minutes ago, Eldon Tyrell said:

The aluminium foil worked. Put in two layers and that stopped the humming. Thanks again 👍

As mentioned, the new gold bridge feels so much lighter than the original chrome one. I now weighted them both and look at the the difference. The gold bridge weighs less than half of the chrome one! Can this be true? I mean, is the gold bridge genuine? Does anyone know of fake Spector bridges?

1119129250_GoldBridge.thumb.jpg.510e2ed7e3be011c8c0bdb92ed8a954e.jpg 21669878_ChromeBridge.thumb.jpg.97105228a66f0654492449ebbcad79a1.jpg

Brass vs aluminium maybe? 

16 minutes ago, Cosmo Valdemar said:

Brass vs aluminium maybe? 

Well, I don't know. The 77 chrome bridge is officially a “lightweight zinc brass alloy bridge”. The gold one on a Euro is normally a “zinc brass alloy bridge”. So, if the 77 is officially “lightweight”, what is the gold one then, super-lightweight or feather-lightweight?

4 hours ago, Dov65 said:

Aye thats it...i had a Babicz and a KickAss for a project..the Babicz (aluminium) was way lighter

Ok, makes sense. The bridge for the Euro is zinc brass alloy; however Spector does offer aluminium for their US basses (Forte and NS) as an option. So, maybe it is not a Euro but a US model bridge. 

Well, at least the bass is a bit lighter now 😉 

• 2 weeks later...
11 hours ago, BassApprentice said:

Any love for the Bantam? Not that I'm buying one, just think they look nice and don't seem to get much attention rounds these parts 

Gorgeous basses. Do a search of this site for them and you'll see a couple of people own/have owned them and only have great things to say....

• 4 weeks later...
55 minutes ago, DanTM said:

Do you guys know what used Spector NS-2 Doug Wimbish models usually go for ?

I was offered a black stain matte one with a beautiful quilted maple top, pau ferro fretboard, EMG/HAZ equipped made in 2019 so no Stuart Spector signature for 3400 EUR.  

Any recent US NS2 is gonna set you back £4k+ new and £3K+ used.

2 hours ago, DanTM said:

Do you guys know what used Spector NS-2 Doug Wimbish models usually go for ?

I was offered a black stain matte one with a beautiful quilted maple top, pau ferro fretboard, EMG/HAZ equipped made in 2019 so no Stuart Spector signature for 3400 EUR.  

3400 EUR sounds about right. Spector NS-2s aren't cheap. However, if you are happy with a matte finish you may want to consider a Forte. They come with matte finishes and cost around £3k new (BD currently has one for £2,999.00). They normally don't come with maple or (premium buckeye or walnut) burl tops like the NS2 does (although I have seen some online: flame maple over sycamore and sycamore over redwood). Fortes normally come with solid wings, usually swamp ash but alder and black walnut are options too (and I have also seen a gorgeous Forte with solid maple wings. Probably expensive though as solid quilted maple wings cost at least $1,499.00 extra for a NS-2). However, swamp ash has recently been replaced with paulownia wood due to the swamp ash crisis, which is affecting many builders. That's why the EBMM Stingray special is not available in a natural finish anymore and the new Fender American Professional II Jazz bass will come in roasted pine. You can specify the specs for your custom Forte and for example order it with a thin neck (like I did) and EMG PJX pickups and the Haz 9V (to create a no-frills NS-2) or with EMG 35DCX and the Haz 18V (to create a no-frills NS-4). By "no-frills" I mean that you won't get a gloss finish (costs at least $899.99 extra for a NS-2. The standard package comes with a matte finish) and also no inlays (although I have seen Fortes with a 12th fret Spector logo). So, Fortes are in a sense NS-2s and 4s without the bling 😎  

BTW, just saw this on the BD website. What do you think? Could work well in a metal band (esp. with the Darkglass TC)

"We have few of these limited edition Spector Squid Euro LX4 and LX5 basses in conjunction with Darkglass - at £2599 and £2699  we are taking pre-order - please contact us before the 19th September

Euro Spector LE Squid Edition

•             Flame Maple Top with custom airbrushed Squid artwork

•             Empresswood (Paulowina) Body Wings with slice of Walnut

•             Ebony fingerboard with MOP 12th fret Spector logo (no other inlays)

•             Black hardware

•             Darkglass Logo on Truss Rod Cover

•             EMG pickups with Darkglass Tone Capsule - P/J Pickups on 4-string; Humbucker Pickups on 5-String

•             Black Stain Gloss finish"

776917704_spectorSquid4.jpg.306dc5ec3cccff1807eb54b4370bad03.jpg

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Eldon Tyrell said:

BTW, just saw this on the BD website. What do you think? Could work well in a metal band (esp. with the Darkglass TC)

"We have few of these limited edition Spector Squid Euro LX4 and LX5 basses in conjunction with Darkglass - at £2599 and £2699  we are taking pre-order - please contact us before the 19th September

Euro Spector LE Squid Edition

•             Flame Maple Top with custom airbrushed Squid artwork

•             Empresswood (Paulowina) Body Wings with slice of Walnut

•             Ebony fingerboard with MOP 12th fret Spector logo (no other inlays)

•             Black hardware

•             Darkglass Logo on Truss Rod Cover

•             EMG pickups with Darkglass Tone Capsule - P/J Pickups on 4-string; Humbucker Pickups on 5-String

•             Black Stain Gloss finish"

776917704_spectorSquid4.jpg.306dc5ec3cccff1807eb54b4370bad03.jpg

I love that.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Eldon Tyrell said:

However, if you are happy with a matte finish you may want to consider a Forte.

You are absolutely right. The thing is that I absolutely want at least some eye candy with my instruments. I saw that Forte on BD as well and I would have immediately bought it if the top had some flame going on. Now I was offered this beauty here and it is very hard for me to resist buying it :D

Spector NS2 Matte.jpg

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, DanTM said:

You are absolutely right. The thing is that I absolutely want at least some eye candy with my instruments. I saw that Forte on BD as well and I would have immediately bought it if the top had some flame going on. Now I was offered this beauty here and it is very hard for me to resist buying it :D

Spector NS2 Matte.jpg

Wow. Love it. Go for it 👍