Why become a member? ×

Lined Fretless First World Problem

Frank Blank

I was lucky enough this year to acquire a fretless Rob Allen Mouse, until I played one I didn’t realise it was my dream bass fulfilling instrument. It is almost perfect apart from the fret marker lines are difficult to see from the top edge of the neck and do not extend down to the bottom of the fingerboard.

Before...

B2D09C8D-FD6A-4A62-A38B-CD4DECC40FCE.jpeg

09D4557C-78EE-4ACE-AF92-2429B35A061C.jpeg

...before the play in the dark, don’t look, have an unmarked fretboard contingent get on my case, yes, perhaps in the future when I’m a far better player but for now I need all the visual help I can get from the markings on the neck, actually feel free to persuade me otherwise, I never underestimate the wisdom of the BC community. I digress, so my bass is going to the luthier tomorrow to have some kind of fret line extensions put in that will extend down the width of the fingerboard. Much as I have complete faith in my luthier (it only took me thirty years to find one who actually produced excellent results) the thought of a saw cutting through the neck of a bass that I love more than 99% of the people I know* is rather nausea inducing! I will do an ‘after’ pic once the work is done and you are all welcome to come try it out at the South East Bass Bash.

*this is actually not too difficult as I am an equal opportunities misanthrope.

Edited by Frank Blank
Fudge Packing

Just now, Frank Blank said:

I have had stickers and tried markers, I just want something permanent and it’s such a shame to sully this beautiful instrument with such things.

Then the solution is to add dots (luminlay possible) to the back of the fretlines.

19 minutes ago, Hellzero said:

This is what you need : http://www.luminlay.com/shopen_fret lines.html

With the torch to charge them, of course, or a cell phone front light (which works very well too).

Yes, I have considered these but I don’t really need the luminosity, perhaps if this first solution doesn’t cut it.

(See pic) - a bit hard to see, but fret lines & dots to left are reinforced with Tipp-Ex, ones to right aren't (my '77 Ovation Magnum 1 fretless)

recently used the missus's sparkly iridescent clear nail varnish - really catches the light! :i-m_so_happy:

image.jpeg

• Thanks 1

On 2 September 2018 at 15:32, BassBunny said:

Get the dots changed for larger Luminlay ones would be my choice.

This!! Even on fretted basses some players do this - this month's BGM shows pics of Guy Pratt's 64 J and P basses in burgundy mist - he has added huge dots on top of the fretboard.

My Fretless is unlined but I use the dots on the top as a point of reference - I only realised how much I rely on that when I played a gig where the lighting created varied visibility of the top of the neck. So long as I have the reference points I'm ok!! 

• 2 weeks later...