Why become a member? ×

Bass Days

mic mac moe

I think I lost you. Do you mean the London Bass Guitar Show, or similar? They have stands and star guests. Or do you mean Basschat bashes? They don't usually have fully fledged stands, and may or may not have big names as guests, but they are organised all around the country. I wouldn't call the usually £10 ticket for a bash an 'arena price ticket'. In fact, I wish arena gigs were that price! :lol:

59 minutes ago, Silvia Bluejay said:

I think I lost you. Do you mean the London Bass Guitar Show, or similar? They have stands and star guests. Or do you mean Basschat bashes? They don't usually have fully fledged stands, and may or may not have big names as guests, but they are organised all around the country. I wouldn't call the usually £10 ticket for a bash an 'arena price ticket'. In fact, I wish arena gigs were that price! :lol:

The one I went to in Manchester was like a mini London bass show. Reasonable tix, top line players and all kind of merchants and manufacturers involved. More regional as London is a fair trek from me. 

1 hour ago, Silvia Bluejay said:

Silvia.  Is there a  basschat bash in the London area in the near future 

9 minutes ago, mic mac moe said:

The one I went to in Manchester was like a mini London bass show. Reasonable tix, top line players and all kind of merchants and manufacturers involved. More regional as London is a fair trek from me. 

Keep an eye on the Events forum Wateroftyne linked to above. There are bass bashes closer to your area, only they've already happened this year; however, they are usually organised every year, so 2019 will have a few. :)

1 minute ago, Reggaebass said:

Silvia.  Is there a  basschat bash in the London area in the near future 

Yup, the South East Bass Bash, this 29th September in Addlestone. :)

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Silvia Bluejay said:

Keep an eye on the Events forum Wateroftyne linked to above. There are bass bashes closer to your area, only they've already happened this year; however, they are usually organised every year, so 2019 will have a few. :)

Yup, the South East Bass Bash, this 29th September in Addlestone. :)

Cheers Silvia, I'll keep an eye open. What I was initially asking was about the one that I attended in manc. Seems it was a smaller affair than the big London show, but a bigger deal than the bass bash format

1 minute ago, Silvia Bluejay said:

Yes, I now think remember the Manc Bass Days, but I haven't heard of any in the last few years. Anyone have more info?

It was a killer day out. Yolanda playing a 64 jazz bass, awesome. And Janek telling people on the stalls upstairs to shut up as he was performing!! 

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, mic mac moe said:

It was indeed 'Bass Day' held at the RNCM. I used to go and have been an artist on stands in the past too. I think The London Bass Show is the only option for something of that ilk (but obviously better) but BassChat's own 'bashes' are superb - highly recommended. I've always gone home a much better person than when I arrived. Always a great vibe. sadly these days I can't get out to see my bass brethren (and sisterthren.. sisteristhen.. sis.. umm everyone..) I miss you lot. I do. really.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, mic mac moe said:

It was a killer day out. Yolanda playing a 64 jazz bass, awesome. And Janek telling people on the stalls upstairs to shut up as he was performing!! 

Yeah, hasn’t happened for the last 4 or 5 years at least. I believe it wasn’t sustainable for the price basically. Hence why the London bass show is still a great deal and day(s) out :). Book both days and come down for the weekend.

Otherwise it’s looking for a local BC Bash that organised near you. As mentioned, check the events forum :)

Si

4 minutes ago, Sibob said:

Yeah, hasn’t happened for the last 4 or 5 years at least. I believe it wasn’t sustainable for the price basically. Hence why the London bass show is still a great deal and day(s) out :). Book both days and come down for the weekend.

Otherwise it’s looking for a local BC Bash that organised near you. As mentioned, check the events forum :)

Si

It's a logistics thing for me, mate. Travel to London, staying over, missing gigs here, plus the tickets. Be a bit rich I reckon. Plus I priced up the London drum show and I'm still having blackouts! The Manc one was on a Sunday, all done and dusted. I'm up for a bass bash, though. I want to meet all the BC'rs that I can. 

30 minutes ago, Dood said:

It was indeed 'Bass Day' held at the RNCM. I used to go and have been an artist on stands in the past too. I think The London Bass Show is the only option for something of that ilk (but obviously better) but BassChat's own 'bashes' are superb - highly recommended. I've always gone home a much better person than when I arrived. Always a great vibe. sadly these days I can't get out to see my bass brethren (and sisterthren.. sisteristhen.. sis.. umm everyone..) I miss you lot. I do. really.

Is it brethren and slitheren? 

• Like 1

I think the first one was held in 2005 in the Life Cafe in manchester. Used to be quite a relaxed affair where we could chat with the performers over a beer or two - I've made a couple of lifelong friendships with one or two. Was also the first chance most of us got to see Nigel Clutterbuck 😃  Stevie Williams usually closed out the show with his band.Sadly it was a victim of it's own success and lost a certain charm when it moved to the RNCM. Moved from being a great day out for bassists to a commercial enterprise although they did get some huge names in - Billy Sheehan, TM stevens, Hadrien Feraud, Jeff Berlin and so on.  I think, because the RNCM was perceived as being a bigger venue, a lot of the stands allowed the volumes to creep into unpleasant territories. I can remember trying to hear a performance by Richard Bona in the concert auditorium that was almost drowned out by Yolanda Charles hammering away on (I think) the Matamp or yamaha stand.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, jacko said:

I think the first one was held in 2005 in the Life Cafe in manchester. Used to be quite a relaxed affair where we could chat with the performers over a beer or two - I've made a couple of lifelong friendships with one or two. Was also the first chance most of us got to see Nigel Clutterbuck 😃  Stevie Williams usually closed out the show with his band.Sadly it was a victim of it's own success and lost a certain charm when it moved to the RNCM. Moved from being a great day out for bassists to a commercial enterprise although they did get some huge names in - Billy Sheehan, TM stevens, Hadrien Feraud, Jeff Berlin and so on.  I think, because the RNCM was perceived as being a bigger venue, a lot of the stands allowed the volumes to creep into unpleasant territories. I can remember trying to hear a performance by Richard Bona in the concert auditorium that was almost drowned out by Yolanda Charles hammering away on (I think) the Matamp or yamaha stand.

That's it.... The life cafe. I recall seeing Nigel Clutter buck slapping away on rotosound stand (maybe). I had a yamaha trb 6 at the time and I picked up a set of strings from the Overwater stand. Brilliant