Why become a member? ×

First Band what amp set up (purchase made)

Slappindabass

23 minutes ago, Norris said:

Peaveys can be quite weighty too. I gigged a Peavey Databass (450W 1x15) for years. I wouldn't go back to it - the Rumble is streets ahead on sound quality as well as weight

You're right Norris - I had a Peavey TNT130 back in the day - decent amp but weighed a tonne. 

Your Fender Rumble sounded lovely at the bass bash. Genuinely impressive and compact bit of kit that - is it 2x10 and 300w or so? 

Ive ended up using all sorts of bits of supplied backline at gigs lately and it's really challenged my preconceptions of what you need to sound good at gigs - some stuff I've never thought about at all has been at the very least adequate and at best very very good. 

2 hours ago, bassbiscuits said:

You're right Norris - I had a Peavey TNT130 back in the day - decent amp but weighed a tonne. 

Your Fender Rumble sounded lovely at the bass bash. Genuinely impressive and compact bit of kit that - is it 2x10 and 300w or so? 

Ive ended up using all sorts of bits of supplied backline at gigs lately and it's really challenged my preconceptions of what you need to sound good at gigs - some stuff I've never thought about at all has been at the very least adequate and at best very very good. 

500W with an extension cab, 350W on it's own. And thanks - I love it

Edit: Oh, and 2x10 plus switchable horn

Edited by Norris

On 01/08/2018 at 13:44, TheGreek said:

What's the budget? How's your back? Combo-v-head/cabs? Class A/B or class D?

If your back isn't an issue I'd give serious consideration to a Trace Elliot combo - the 150w combo will kick sufficient hass in most pubs, the 300w will do for window removals and Earthquake survival training.

You can pick TE gear up for well under £300.

Hi. TC Electronic BG250 combo. Relatively light, very loud, built in tuner...Under £300 and circa £200 used. Fantastic sounds, great reliability and build quality! Highly recommended :)

tc-electronic-bg250-208-264470.jpg

On 01/08/2018 at 09:53, Monkey Steve said:

nah, skip it, just get a DI box and go through the PA

That would only work if the band is using a very high end sound and his signal can clearly be heard through the monitors.

I've done the DI method, never worked for me.

Blue

On ‎04‎/‎08‎/‎2018 at 02:56, Bluewine said:

That would only work if the band is using a very high end sound and his signal can clearly be heard through the monitors.

I've done the DI method, never worked for me.

Blue

and the DI method never worked for my drummer either.. He needs to hear a bass amp, and / or FEEL it

Edited by bazzbass

53 minutes ago, Slappindabass said:

Bought second hand for around half the price of a new one. What are peoples thoughts?

I think that buying second hand has a lot going for it. If you find that it doesn't suit your needs, you can sell it on for basically the same price you paid for it.

S.P.

3 hours ago, Slappindabass said:

Bought second hand for around half the price of a new one. What are peoples thoughts?

It's a good thing, you can't really go wrong with Ashdown. Not a boutique brand or anything, but since when has that guaranteed a useful, great-sounding rig? Never, that's when. That combo should be a solid workhorse. Just make sure you buy a portable fire extinguisher to go with it. [JOKE] :biggrin:

Edited by discreet

On ‎08‎/‎08‎/‎2018 at 00:07, Slappindabass said:

It is actually from Ashdown direct. B stock. So as they were posting i thought it would be rude not to have the bottom bit🤣😂

image1.jpeg

SHHHHHHH don't let anybody on TB see this, they will publicly hang you for mixing drivers in a rig rotfl pmsl lol hehe

Nice rig, now go play some LOUD bass :)

8 hours ago, Slappindabass said:

I alwayys thought the 210 went well with a 115 but what do I know!🤣

They do in the RM range, I had the separate cabs in that formation - with the RM500 head - and they sounded very good together.

• Thanks 1